Yearly First Viewing Top Tens

Tools    

I'm having trouble remembering everything I saw in 2015. I'm also having a hard time remembering if I saw some movies at the very end of 2014 or the very start of 2015 (it wasn't until a few months into this year that I started trying to keep track of what I had watched) Even so, I'll try my best to compose an interesting list!

1. Birdman (2014)
2. The Rover (2014)
3. The Cat Returns (2002)
4. Cross of Iron (1976)
5. Nightcrawler (2014)
6. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
7. Zulu (1966)
8. '71 (2014)
9. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
10. Whiplash (2014)
11. Inside Out (2015)
12. North by Northwest (1959)
13. Falling Down (1992)
14. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
15. Jane Eyre (1944)

I just know that sometime soon a movie I'll remember will pop into my head and I'll be kicking myself for forgetting to add it!

Really have to watch The Rover. Have you seen Animal Kingdom FW? It is one of my favourites of the decade so far and features my favourite female performance of the decade in Jacki Weaver obviously.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Upon a brief overlook, I tlooks like Late Spring, Once Upon a Time in the West and Boyhood were my top 3 first time watches last year, I could have overlooked something though.

@Camo

Nah I haven't seen that yet though I have heard a lot about it. One of those movies that I feel like I really need to see!

And also... yup, about 10 minutes after I posted there's 2 that popped into my head:

The Fifth Element (1997)

Affliction (1997)

I'm just gonna mention those—I swear I'm not gonna litter this thread with movies I forgot about!

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
A Top 5 films seen for the first time this year would likely include:

A Countess from Hong Kong (1967) by Charlie Chaplin
Canyon Passage (1947) by Jacques Tourneur
Colossal Youth (2006) by Pedro Costa
The Docks of New York (1928) by Josef Von Sternberg
Young Mr Lincoln (1939) by John Ford

After many viewings I think that Countess is Chaplin's greatest film, both his most self-critical and reflective, but also joyful and forward looking. Canyon Passage is my favorite of Tourneur's great westerns and its peculiar microcosm contains the best work Tourneur has done on America (along with passages of I Walked with a Zombie). Colossal Youth is one of the most radical works to derive directly from classical Hollywood cinema and embodies and enlightens the past cinema while also expanding its reach and form more than any other film I've seen from the last decade. The Docks of New York is the culmination of Sternberg's excellent silent period, a film about the space between people. Young Mr Lincoln is the greatest of Ford's mythmaking in the dialectic that is formed between its hero and its story, making every image into a convolution.

Here's the list for 2015. I didn't see nearly as much in 2015 as I have in previous years.

1. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Mike Nichols | 1966

2. Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Kazuhisa Takenouchi | 2003

3. Rosemary's Baby
Roman Polanski | 1968

4. The Player
Robert Altman | 1992

5. The Princess Bride
Rob Reiner | 1987

6. It's Such a Beautiful Day
Don Hertzfeldt | 2012

7. Beasts of No Nation
Cary Joji Fukunaga | 2015

8. Steve Jobs
Danny Boyle | 2015

9. Summertime
David Lean | 1955

10. Three Kings
David O. Russell | 1999

I like seeing It's Such a Beautiful Day on multiple lists this year.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Master of My Domain
10. Grave of the FIreflies

Watched this film with no expectations but ended up crying at the end. Too bad it was too late to change my ballot on the MoFo Animated Films list.

9. After Hours

Criminally underrated Scorcese film with classic screwball comedy.

8. Inside Out

I've noticed that I rarely cry when watching live-action films, however animated films seem to turn me into a baby. Inside Out is one of the most sophisticated and rich films in recent years.

7. The Lonely Wife

If Ozu is just plain fried chicken, Satyajit Ray, the director of this masterpiece, is armed with an addictive sweet n spicy sauce. And steroids.

6. Hana Bi

Seriously I love Takeshi Kitano so much... his style, the silent but deadly prose in his dialogue, the calm but violent shoot-outs are brilliant.

5. Bicycle Thieves

This film is so realistic and effective that you believe the events that happen could have been real. The acting is great not because it has method-acting or usage of fancy body language, but because it's natural. If you observe the conversations between the main character (the dad) and his boy you'll see what I mean.

4. Rio Bravo

I've never really liked characters John Wayne portrayed, but here his trademark I-don't-care nature combined with his hidden affection for people he loves makes Sheriff Chance someone you want to root for. He's also surrounded by a perfect supporting cast and their chemistry explodes (no pun intended) during the wildly entertaining finale.

3. The Third Man

I can't believe I didn't watch this classic until this year. Every scene in The Third Man is unbelievably cool and atmospheric. This film also lead to what I consider the best review I've ever written, so there's one more reason to give love.

2. Playtime

There is no proper way to describe Tati's masterpiece. Seeing is believing people. If you want to believe in this film, well, go see it!

1. The Graduate

For the number one spot on my list I struggled to find an answer between The Graduate and Playtime, but ultimately I chose the former because it has a personal connection with me. One more year and I'm going to graduate from a college everyone treats as a pretty good school, thus people have quite a few expectations from me. But honestly, I don't know what to do with my life once I'm out in the world. There's a huge chance that I will end up like Benjamin (played by Dustin Hoffman). His struggles shown in the film reflect mine. The Graduate is perfect film high in cinematic quality and "personal" quality.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
10. Grave of the FIreflies

Watched this film with no expectations but ended up crying at the end. Too bad it was too late to change my ballot on the MoFo Animated Films list. This is now one of my favorite Miyzaki films.
I agree with you, amazing film...

but...

It's not a Miyazaki! It's Takahata's!

Master of My Domain
I agree with you, amazing film...

but...

It's not a Miyazaki! It's Takahata's!
Sorry, Asian names all sound the same to me.

Out of the 88 movies I saw for the first time in 2015, I'd have to single out these:

The Hole
Nightcrawler
In Cold Blood
Birdman of Alcatraz
Gone Girl
Andrei Rublev
The Battle of Algiers
The Big Combo
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
The Umbrellas of Charbourg

Honorable mentions: Birdman, Blue Ruin, Inherent Vice...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Here's the list for 2015. I didn't see nearly as much in 2015 as I have in previous years.

2. Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Kazuhisa Takenouchi | 2003
I love that film but hardly ever see anyone talk about it here. Nice to see you liked it

Harakiri and Das Boot are definitely the top two. I'll come up with a top ten in a little while. In the meantime, here is a Listchallenge list I made of all the films I saw in 2015. How many have you seen?
I saw 140 of 176

Harakiri and Das Boot are definitely the top two. I'll come up with a top ten in a little while. In the meantime, here is a Listchallenge list I made of all the films I saw in 2015. How many have you seen?
116 for me

Damn, only seen 72 of those.

Care for some gopher?
22. Beat that!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I've seen 128 of 176 movies on your list. (How many I actually liked is probably a much lower number. )