Mulholland Drive

Tools    

I was quite confused by Mulholland Drive. In fact I still am. But there were some things I think I picked up on.

For one thing, I felt that Rita represented Darkness and sadness, while Betty represented the light and better side of humanity. Now, Rita isn't a bad character by any means. She isn't necessarily evil but she definitely has something malevolent deep inside her. She cannot remember what happened in her past, and I think that maybe she WAS a mean natured character before her accident. But this accident may have been on purpose in a way. I think that somehow the drivers knew that car was coming, and wanted possibly for "Rita" to get this concussion and start anew. She is a nice character, but there is a sadness in her eyes, even though she doesn't seem to remember anything, it seems that there is some form of a dark past buried deep within her subconcious. She may not remember it fully, but she senses it's there. Something leads "Rita" to Betty's aunt's house. I feel like it's some unknown invisible force. She is meant to be there. And I will talk about this shortly.

And then Betty comes in. Betty, in my opinion represents light and hope. She wears bright clothing, always has a happy and positive energy, and brings a new hope to "Rita's" life. It seems that Betty has it all figured out. She knows what she wants, and has the will power and the motivation to get it. She is a talented actress, and we see that from a rehearsal scene later on. It seems to me that "Rita" has been an actress for a while. It seems like she may even be decently famous. But her memory has been erased, so in her mind, she isn't even an actress. This, in a way, is hopeful for Betty. A more experienced actress has been "taken out of the game" if you will, and Betty is the next "big thing". Part of me feels like if "Rita" wouldn't have been in the accident, Betty wouldn't even have a chance. "Rita" could have been the next big thing, meaning that there would be no room for Betty. This is just one theory. Here is my other theory. If it wasn't for "Rita" being in Betty's aunt's apartment, Betty would be a top of the line actress at the end of the movie. Betty has her mind set on becoming a great actress when we first see her, there is nothing to stop her or distract her. But then, "Rita" falls upon her life. Now, Betty is more focused on finding out about the mystery surrounding "Rita" and what it all means. "Rita" has entangled Betty in her complicated and dark situation, causing Betty's focus on acting to be diminished. If it weren't for "Rita", there would be no distractions, nothing stopping Betty from going on to become an actress. In another way, Betty is "Rita's" chance for redemption. "Rita's" past appears to be dark, and maybe she was mean spirited or malevolent in the past. But because of this accident, she becomes a new person. Maybe a second chance? A chance to show that some humans aren't evil by nature, maybe they just need the right guidance. What could possibly be this "right guidance"? The answer is Betty. As a positive and seemingly good hearted person Betty could lead "Rita" in the right direction. It seems that without Betty, "Rita" would just naturally go back to her evil ways. But in fact, the opposite is true.

Soon, the dark and sinister aspects of "Rita's" life start to leak over into the happy and positive aspects of Betty's life. Soon, the darkness takes over. Is "Rita" doing this on purpose? In my opinion, she is not. It is happening by fate or nature. I think Lynch is saying that evil outweighs good in this world. Even when a new hope is found and there could be a chance for guidance from darkness and evil, evil inevitably takes over (hence the last half hour of the movie). This leads me to the old people at the end. The old people represent how when a new form of hope and goodness comes along, the old evil ways of the world take over again.

I am now going to talk about the wig that "Rita" begins wearing towards the end. I think that the wig represents that "Rita" is changing for better. She is beginning to become like Betty, who is happy and good. This is just my interpretation of it. I don't have much of an explanation for the key or the box or much of the stranger stuff in the film. But I'm sure that after watching the film more times and thinking about it and possibly doing some research I will come up with something. Thank you if you took the time to read this, I hope you enjoyed it or found it interesting.
Fire walk with me.

I am currently watching Mulholland Drive again, and i just picked up on something. (Spoilers ahead)

I should have figured out that Camilla is Diane's dark side. I figured this out in the scene where diane thinks she sees camilla, and diane has rotten teeth and it turns out that she was talking to herself. It shows that diane is only destroying herself. Well, at least that's my take on it.

One of the best movies ever made deserves a 9/10 on imdb, the mystery never seize to engulf in this thriller.

I've always been a big David Lynch fan, but thought this movie was a bit choppy at times. Then I found out it was never suppose to be a feature film, but a pilot for new series. It was touted as the next Twin Peaks. Instead, ABC pulled a plug on it and Lynch was forced to scramble and put it together into a film. Such a shame, although, it makes perfect sense as to why it feels a bit rushed or disjointed to me at times. The second part of the movie made me really sad because I realized what a great show it could have been.

I've always been a big David Lynch fan, but thought this movie was a bit choppy at times. Then I found out it was never suppose to be a feature film, but a pilot for new series. It was touted as the next Twin Peaks. Instead, ABC pulled a plug on it and Lynch was forced to scramble and put it together into a film. Such a shame, although, it makes perfect sense as to why it feels a bit rushed or disjointed to me at times. The second part of the movie made me really sad because I realized what a great show it could have been.
Yeap, MD was firstly envisioned as a spin-off for Audrey Horne.

When I first watched MD I initially thought like many that primary theme was Lynch's take on corruption and glamour of Hollwood manifested in a story of a fallen actress. But after a couple of rewatches and more carefully going through Lynch's 10 clues to unlocking the meaning of MD, I definitely became subscribed to a theory that film is actually about Diane's sexual abuse and that the entire film was actually her reliving her childhood trauma. There are actually quite a few clues and references (some of them more subtle) which indicate that. It's amazing how an intepretation of a film can change after a couple of rewatches.

Too all fans of the film I reccommend reading this write-up. It definitely explained some of the more subtle references that are quite hard to pick up.

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/sexualabuse.htm

“I was cured, all right!”
It's funny to read about this because I'm in love with Lynch's projects. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive! Oh Lord. I can't express in words how much I love this films. Started to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last week. It's awesome so far.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I always seen Mulholand Drv as "who I am, what I want and what I'm expected to be and act like" [specially because of the old couple and the box].

MC for the Great Underground Circus
It's funny to read about this because I'm in love with Lynch's projects. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive! Oh Lord. I can't express in words how much I love this films. Started to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last week. It's awesome so far.
twin peaks is rather interesting. Mixes some styles but goes full on "X files" later in the second season [actually, when you watch the second season you'll see where the ideas for the X files came from]

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mulholland Drive is my favourite Lynch film. I always feel like I can only like and appreciate his films on a second viewing. His filmography is built on demanded second viewings, which is one of the reasons I responded to his work.

Suspect's Reviews

Did anyone else ever noticed Laura Palmer and Ronette Polaski look-alikes sitting in the Club Silencio? Now, neither Sheryl Lee nor Phoebe Augustine do appear on the film credits and even Lynch denied that was Sheryl Lee in his chat-room, but I wonder if there's more to that. Perhaps a reference to Diane's sexual abuse or a hint at Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive sharing the same universe... Could Club Silencio be one of the rooms in the black lodge?

Legend in my own mind
I know I have seen it but I cannot tell you a thing about it.

Normally I would just assume that it was rubbish, but I have rewatched other films lately that I knew I had seen but had little or no recollection of, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Will watch again over the next week or so and share my thoughts.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I know I have seen it but I cannot tell you a thing about it.

Normally I would just assume that it was rubbish, but I have rewatched other films lately that I knew I had seen but had little or no recollection of, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Will watch again over the next week or so and share my thoughts.
I saw it when it first came out and dont remember a thing except I had no idea what was going on.

Did anyone else ever noticed Laura Palmer and Ronette Polaski look-alikes sitting in the Club Silencio? Now, neither Sheryl Lee nor Phoebe Augustine do appear on the film credits and even Lynch denied that was Sheryl Lee in his chat-room, but I wonder if there's more to that. Perhaps a reference to Diane's sexual abuse or a hint at Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive sharing the same universe... Could Club Silencio be one of the rooms in the black lodge?

I played it right now like 10 times. Yes, that's not them but they definitely are meant to look like them and you gotta point there Jeff, this could be one of the black lodge room.

Lynch insists that practicing Transcendental Meditation will reveal Mulholland Drive's mysteries.

Relieve stress, improve brain waves, make better life decisions and understand David Lynch movies by sitting down for about 25 minutes and chanting nonsense.

Sure. Fug it.

Lynch insists that practicing Transcendental Meditation will reveal Mulholland Drive's mysteries.

Relieve stress, improve brain waves, make better life decisions and understand David Lynch movies by sitting down for about 25 minutes and chanting nonsense.

Sure. Fug it.
it is not very probable anyway. Not everybody is experiencing transcendental meditation the same way as Lynch, so yeah, f... it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Sure. Fug it.
LOL. I've been practising TM for almost as long as I;ve watched Lynch movies. I still dont understand where he's coming from. There aint no collective consciousness between my mind and the Lynchian universe. I still freak out to this day about Eraserhead.

Must be doin sumthin right
The key to revealing Mulholand Drive's mysteries is you always gotta remember to use nice, fresh water when making your quinoa and make sure you cook over a nice, hot flame