Django Unchained

→ in
Tools    

I really wanna echo this. It might be because it's not him, or it might be because it's a white person, but the way he talks about these films definitely implies some degree of "ownership" over these topics that he feels has been violated.
I feel ya...I think that Spike is jealous of the way the film is being received positively by white critics and that it touches on one of the most sensitive subjects for black people. The fact that a black man can't tell the story of his ancestors should be bothersome not only to Spike but to all black people.

What about Spike Lee made Inside Man that a film about a white guy covering up that he profited immensely from the Holocaust. So How much ownership does he have of that subject?

How about not instigating derailment and flaming, instead, people?

I'm looking forward to seeing Django. I know above all else Tarantino strives to make his movies fun.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I read the script a few months ago and I wasn't disappointed. Great movie! Big piece of entertainment!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
What about Spike Lee made Inside Man that a film about a white guy covering up that he profited immensely from the Holocaust. So How much ownership does he have of that subject?
He'll come back and say he speaks for all the oppressed.

Suspect's Reviews

Saw this last night. Probably gonna review it. In the meantime, here's a quote from A.O. Scott comparing the film to Lincoln my wife sent me:

"You could almost imagine the two films, or at least their heroes, figuring in the kind of good-natured, racial-stereotype humor that used to be a staple of stand-up comedy: “white guys abolish slavery like this” (pass constitutional amendment); “but black guys, they abolish slavery like this” (blow up plantation)."

Saw it last night, great movie. Perhaps the best acting all-around for any movie this year, except maybe The Master. Christopher Waltz, Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson, and especially Leonardo DiCaprio all perform magnificently and arguably deserve Oscar noms. Tarantino balances light-heartedness and humor well with the heavy significance of slavery, which is what the film is about. He shoves a shameful part of American history into the audience's face and makes you think while simultaneously making you laugh and smile throughout.

The film was somewhat poorly edited, though. Some scenes and transitions seemed out of place and sloppy, while some of the soundtrack choices and transitions were also questionable. For example, we hear a 20 second Tupac track that abruptly ends and cuts to silence. Awkward. Also, the film was overly long and easily could have been chopped down by 20 minutes and still get the point across. Also, Tarantino unnecessarily acts in the film and does a bad job as the only bad actor in the whole movie. In fact, that entire scene with Tarantino was unnecessary and should have been removed.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I felt the soundtrack was unsuitably suitable. The movie wasn't trying to be historically accurate or anything, so seemed fitting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2230839.html

You know those tiny little glasses they're drinking out of at the table? Well, when he's going through his little tantrum, at some point, he smashes the table, and brings his hand down on one of those glasses.

Thats' not in the script: DiCaprio actually smashed his hand on one of the glasses during a take. And never broke character. In fact, the blood you see spreading over his hands comes from that take - and I'm pretty sure the blood he smears on Kerry Washington's face in that scene is his blood, because from what I understand, he went all the way to the end of that sequence in one take, and if his hand is bleeding onscreen, it's from that take.

He needed stitches, and his hand is scarred.

Here's a Huffington Post article where QT debates a movie critic about Schultz's "harebrained scheme" to get Broomhilda. He REALLY does a great job of explaining Schultz's mindset and the reason why he does the things he does

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2340987.html

WARNING: "Django Unchained" spoilers below
OK, Quentin did a great job explaining why Schultz didn't just shake Candie's hand, and shot him instead.

Spoiler.....Question a bout this.

what was the significance of the lady with red bandana over her mouth?...you'd think they would've revealed her identity..

Also, one thing I noticed in this movie...lots of blood splattering onto white things (cotton, snow, white horse, etc.)

Spoiler.....Question a bout this.

what was the significance of the lady with red bandana over her mouth?...you'd think they would've revealed her identity..
Apparently in the original Django there was bandits who wore a similar garb. That may be a nod to that.

That' s impressive about Leo, although I doubt he smeared his actual blood on her.

Interesting about these two scenes.

Spoiler:

As far as the dogs go, I don't think Candie would have fed the slave to the dogs if Shultz and Django didn't jump in. Maybe the slave would have got whipped or put in the "hot box" for running away, but it wasn't until Shultz agreed to pay Candie $500 and Django stopped him that Candie felt the need to try and call their bluff. Candie was asking the slave how he was suppose to get his money back and when Shultz offered to buy the slave off, Candie seemed ok with the idea of getting his money back but when Django said that Shultz was only doing it because he was tired of watching Candie tease the slave and they weren't interested, Candie felt the need to see if either of them would buckle and pay up at the last minute when he ordered the dogs to be turned loose again.

As for the hand shaking scene, once again I think Candie just wanted the last word and upper hand on what all was going on. He just had an earful said to him by Shultz and there would be no way in hell that he would just allow Shultz to get away with it in his house with all of his servants around. Hence, he wanted to make sure everyone knew he still had the power by allowing Broomhilda to be shot if Shultz didn't do as he said. The main thing with Candie was wanting to be top and not taking anything from anybody.

Apparently in the original Django there was bandits who wore a similar garb. That may be a nod to that.

That' s impressive about Leo, although I doubt he smeared his actual blood on her.
Interesting cause I know about the original Django movie but I've never seen that movie before. The guys who played Django in the original Django was actually in Django Unchained in Mangindo fighting scene.

Did you read the link I gave you about Leo smashed the glass?...it was his actually blood and both of them didn't break the characters during the film.

Interesting cause I know about the original Django movie but I've never seen that movie before. The guys who played Django in the original Django was actually in Django Unchained in Mangindo fighting scene.

Did you read the link I gave you about Leo smashed the glass?...it was his actually blood and both of them didn't break the characters during the film.
I did.. it just seems a little twisted lol.

Interesting about these two scenes.

Spoiler:

As far as the dogs go, I don't think Candie would have fed the slave to the dogs if Shultz and Django didn't jump in. Maybe the slave would have got whipped or put in the "hot box" for running away, but it wasn't until Shultz agreed to pay Candie $500 and Django stopped him that Candie felt the need to try and call their bluff. Candie was asking the slave how he was suppose to get his money back and when Shultz offered to buy the slave off, Candie seemed ok with the idea of getting his money back but when Django said that Shultz was only doing it because he was tired of watching Candie tease the slave and they weren't interested, Candie felt the need to see if either of them would buckle and pay up at the last minute when he ordered the dogs to be turned loose again.

As for the hand shaking scene, once again I think Candie just wanted the last word and upper hand on what all was going on. He just had an earful said to him by Shultz and there would be no way in hell that he would just allow Shultz to get away with it in his house with all of his servants around. Hence, he wanted to make sure everyone knew he still had the power by allowing Broomhilda to be shot if Shultz didn't do as he said. The main thing with Candie was wanting to be top and not taking anything from anybody.
Definitely. I think that's mainly why Shultz refused to shake hands with Candie and ultimately decided to shoot him. He was feeling disgust, guilt and repulsion over what he had seen and done. A lot of people are saying Shultz did what he did over pride or that Shultz was under the impression that Calvin wouldn't allow them to leave alive, but I disagree.

I've seen this now, will do a full review in the future but for now a few points without spoiling anything:

- Like donniedarko has said, Waltz is the star once again, if he hadn't won it for Inglourious Basterds then he'd probably get best supporting actor for this.

- Samuel L. Jackson was probably my favourite actor in the film, although the main quartet were all strong. Offered a good mixture of harshness and humour to accompany Leonardo DiCaprio's performance.

- Other characters were left undeveloped somewhat, the Brittler Brothers, Broomhilda, Billy Crash etc. even Stephen when it comes to his (potential) relationship/interaction with Django.

- James Remar playing two characters was pretty strange considering this was clearly visible.

- I loved the bizarre soundtrack

- Despite it's flaws and not being as well constructed as Inglourious Basterds, this film I think was slightly more enjoyable for me upon its first viewing and is 2 hours and 45 minutes of pure fun, my favourite of 2012.

In terms of entertainment I'd give this 5 stars, in terms of quality I'd say 4, so overall rating I'll go with

- James Remar playing two characters was pretty strange considering this was clearly visible.
Was that him at the beginning too? I thought so lol. That damn ghost Harry popping up all over the place.