Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea

→ in
Tools    

My thoughts

Ponyo on the Cliff is a complete visual experience and if you even have the slightest appreciation for animation or very visionary films you will be swept off your feet by this one. It's story is bare bones simple there aren't a lot of complex themes here , aside from the deep feelings the images will conjure in your mind.

Brilliantly looking under and over the water , it's another complete foray into the wonderful imagination of Miyazaki and his team. As always your treated to vividly detailed backgrounds and settings , though this one has a distinct look compared to Miyazaki's others - in that it has more simplistic shading and colors , but is incredibly more smooth and fluent than any hand animated film to date.

Even if you don't have kids to take , everyone should try and see this one for a grand musical/visual experience. If your trying to catch it in theaters later this year , you will have to put up with the English voices - but it's a small price to pay to see this on the big screen.

and some by WSSlover

Last night, I saw the new movie, Ponyo, at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, in Brookline, MA. It's a wonderful, but intense animation film, which is about a young boy who catches a red goldfish in the ocean, is determined to love and care for it, and the goldfish eventually turns into a human being that is accepted by the boy and his family as a regular human being. There are some intense scenes where the ocean goes dark blue and turns into tsunamis that go up on the land, eventually putting everything underwater, and many different colored creatures in some really intense underwater scenes, but, eventually, everything turns out to be good--a happy ending. A movie well worth seeing, although parts of it might be a little too scary for young kids.

I believe, however, that the movie Ponyo sends an intense message: When humankind messes around with Mother Nature too much, she'll eventually kick back, which is something that happens in real life, both greater and lesser extents.

Many interesting things are being done with animation these days, and this is an amazing example.

I've probably talked about this movie enough for a couple users , but I want to hear your thoughts on the movie. So has anyone here seen this yet ?

I'm re-animating another old thread . . . .

I saw this movie recently and really enjoyed it. But I must tell you that I am a Miyazaki fan so I'm a bit prejudiced. This movie is beautiful and magical -- as are most of his films.

And now for the disturbing part of my comments: I found Lisa, Sosuke's young mother, really attractive. I guess the kids would say "hot"! Am I going to Hell now? In the English version her voice is dubbed by Tina Fey.

A trailer:

A short review by Kenneth Turan of the LA Times:

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And now for the disturbing part of my comments: I found Lisa, Sosuke's young mother, really attractive. I guess the kids would say "hot"! Am I going to Hell now?
Train leaving on Track 666. All Aboard!

I saw the subtitled version of this at a theater in lower Manhattan last summer. It seemed to be somewhat of a return to films like Totoro and Kiki's delivery service in that it didn't have much of a plot, but it was a sweet story and it's worth seeing for the animated water and sea-creatures. i don't remember the mother all that well but is it just me or are miyazaki's movies getting a bit sexier in his old age. First the vampy bishounen in Howl's Moving Castle and now the glammy sea captain in Ponyo.

I saw the subtitled version of this at a theater in lower Manhattan last summer.
I watched both (DVD). They're both good I think.

It seemed to be somewhat of a return to films like Totoro and Kiki's delivery service in that it didn't have much of a plot, but it was a sweet story and it's worth seeing for the animated water and sea-creatures. i don't remember the mother all that well but is it just me or are miyazaki's movies getting a bit sexier in his old age. First the vampy bishounen in Howl's Moving Castle and now the glammy sea captain in Ponyo.
Well, maybe "hot" is not the best description of Lisa. "Very cute" is probably better. I love the scene when Captain Koichi, her husband, signals them from his ship, after phoning and saying he won't be home because he took another trip, and Lisa responds on their home light signaler with "BUG OFF BUG OFF BUG OFF BUG OFF".

Well, I think Howl was a bit androgynous but Captain Koichi, Lisa's husband, wasn't on the screen much.

no i don't mean captain koichi, i mean Ponyo's dad, who (in my memory, anyway) is also androgenous. btw i don't mean sexy in the sense that "i would hit that", more like he seems to be using anime/manga (particularly girls' manga) shorthand for sexiness, which is often androgynous skinny fops.

And now for the disturbing part of my comments: I found Lisa, Sosuke's young mother, really attractive.

Tell me this isn't your "cartoon crush". Really?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Well, yes. It's probably sad and demented. But I must say that the pic you captured is not the most flattering.

Lisa is a typical Miyzaki female character: strong, independent, capable, sassy, self assured, and, in this film, one heck of a driver! Take a look at this short clip:

Bluray Collector!
Love this movie, the bluray is a nice release too. Not Miyazaki's best, but an enjoyable film with beautiful art.