The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Rumor: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the Boy Wonder in TDKR?

Sep 2, 2011

Yes, folks the rumor that Robin will appear in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises won’t die. Nolan has said that Robin would NEVER appear in his films as long as he’s directing, but a new rumor has been posted in the Super Hero Hype forums that put Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Boy Wonder. Accroding to the source, Batman (Christian Bale) will be “retiring” from his duties as the Dark Knight, and that Levitt will don the red and yellow tights as his replacement.
Of course, this should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Nolan has already said many times that he would never use Robin in his films, but the source is claiming the film would only be introducing Robin, and that he’d lead the next film. But we’ve already heard that Nolan’s trilogy ends with The Dark Knight Rises, and that WB is already planning a reboot. However, we have heard rumor that Bane would break the Bat in the film, but that would be the only clue to making this remotely plausible.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
How much do you think TDKR will make at the box office? Given that TDK made just over $1Billion. Also take into account the immense anticipation for this film.

I reckon $1.2 Billion.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Okay, I don't understand the dislike of Robin, I've always liked the character, even if none of the filmed portrayals of him have been very good. He really doesn't work on screen very well. I doubt that they'll put him in Dark Knight Rises, I mean everyone was SO SURE that there was going to be Hugo Strange, and look how that turned out.

Whoever is the poor unfortunate soul who has to make the eventual Post Nolan/Bale Batman re-boot has his work cut out for him. Either they will be forced to make drab Nolan rip offs, or they will make something bold, original, and totally unpopular...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I think you sort of answered it already; Robin doesn't work on screen very well. And he especially doesn't fit Nolan's style very well, where he attempts to make fairly ridiculous things seem remotely plausible. Everything about Robin, from his role as a sidekick to the outfit, just feels so much more contrived and comic-book-y than Batman himself. The outfit, in particular, either has to look ridiculous or undergo an overhaul, neither of which feels like a great choice.

I guess I'd also say that it's hard to imagine it being necessary, therefore if it happens it feels like the kind of thing you'd do because there wasn't anything else compelling to do with just Batman, in which case maybe it's not worth making the film.

I always thought the robin costume was abit crap. I mean if you seen you friend in the street with a pair of sun glasses on (which is basically the same) you wouldn't think, Wow who the fu** is that . i really hope Robin doesn't make an appearance.

Semper Fooey
I grew up with Robin in the comic books, but it is an outmoded concept that belongs to another era.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Is this the prison Bane breaks out of in The Dark Knight Rises?

Sep 7, 2011

A new still and video has leaked online from ThisIsWuDaMan claiming to be the prison Bane (Tom Hardy) breaks out of thanks to The Legaue of Shadows to start his terror on Gotham. We know we will see Bane break out of prison, we know at least some of this sequence has been filming already, so maybe Nolan is filming some pick-up shots or interior/exterior shots?
It’s interesting, nonetheless:

&feature=player_embedded

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com
Catwoman shows off her complete costume

Sep 24, 2011

When we got our first look at Anne Hathaway as Catwoman (here), fans each had mixed reactions. One complaint was that she didn’t resemble the Catwoman we all know and love with the ears and cowl. Well, fear not as Just Jared has posted several images of Hathaway’s complete costume.
You can check out a couple images below.

Is there some universal "stupid" rule that says that Catwoman needs to wear really high heels? How the hell is she supposed to run or kick people in those? Come on, Nolan, I thought you were all about making these more realistic...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
This is going to be a great movie, I can't wait.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

Bane and Batman battle for Gotham on TDKR set

Nov 7, 2011

With production of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises almost done, Latino Review has posted some exciting new set images that feature Batman (Christian Bale) and Bane (Tom Hardy) battling for control of Gotham City.

Semper Fooey
I dunno. That costume looks pretty stupid and giving a cop an ear yank looks hilarious.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From geeksofdoom.com

Bat-Analysis: The Costume Of Catwoman In ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

| August 5th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hey everybody, I just woke up to see that the first official promotional photo of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman from Christopher Nolan‘s The Dark Knight Rises had just been released. Thirty minutes staring at the photo, 3 minutes finding a picture of Julie Newmar, and two scans later, I’m ready to give you guys my perspective in the first edition of what I like to call Geeks of Doom’s Bat-Analysis.
So, let’s start with the actual promo photo shown above, shall we?
What we have here is Anne Hathaway in a tactile suit that looks like leftover costuming from the G.I. Joe movie. That’s not a bad thing at all, mind you, it just has the appearance of being more along the lines of something a spy or high-tech thief would wear, as opposed to the all-leather costumes we’ve seen before. You know, those horrible made from scratch [get it!?] costumes that were featured in Tim Burton’s Batman Returns starring Michelle Pfeiffer and [this is totally not] Catwoman starring Halle Berry. So Hathaway’s costume itself is faithful enough to a real world adaptation of something the character that Selina Kyle from the comics would actually wear.

Good work to Christopher Nolan and crew for getting that right.
Now, let’s talk about the hair. I fancy myself a bit of a fashionista, so one of the first things I pay attention to when I see promo photos is what the actor/actress’ hair looks like [see my complaints about the Henry Cavill Man of Steel photo]. Traditionally, Catwoman has had long hair since her inception in the early days of Batman comics through the days of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale’s Long Halloween and Catwoman: When in Rome. So, it stays in line with that. However, for myself and from what I understand, most comic readers actually prefer the Darwyn Cooke redesign of Selina Kyle with a shorter pixie-style haircut. In fact, last night when I saw the trailer for One Day starring Anne Hathaway, I screamed out, “She’s got Catwoman hair!”

So, imagine my disappointment when I woke up to this new promo picture today. Tsk, tsk. I mean, how are you going to stealthily fight/steal things with all that hair in your face? It just doesn’t make sense, you guys. And, I mean, she already had the pixie cut! That’s a lost opportunity, if you ask me, which, I actually was asked to do for this analysis, so leave me alone!
Now let’s take a look at the mask/goggles/whatever the Hell that is on her face that in no way resembles a cowl or cat ears or anything.

I’m pretty forgiving when it comes to costume redesigns that don’t stay dead-on faithful to the source material, but taking away Catwoman’s ears just crosses the line. It’s like giving Batman a domino mask. I mean, I love domino masks, don’t get me wrong, but he stops being Batman once he doesn’t have bat features. Now, if the approach is to actually not have Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, but only as Selina Kyle, then I am going to leave the theater a very angry Batman fan. Either way, Catwoman or Selina Kyle, the goggle/mask combo pays tribute to the first on-screen Catwomen: Julie Newmar, Ertha Kitt, and Lee Meriwether from the 1960s Batman TV series.

Which, I honestly don’t have a problem with. It’s a harlequin mask style, which is at home in the reality-based Nolan Bat-verse. My only problem is that you can pretty much take the Cooke redesign of cowl with goggles of Catwoman from the page to the screen, and it would look perfect.

See what I mean? This already has the Nolan style feel, and I think Hathaway could bring that style to life on screen. I just hope this is the tease and not the final product. But again, it’s not terrible. It’s actually a really cool, stealth approach to the character, which is nice to see for once. All recent film versions of Catwoman have focused strictly on the sex appeal, and not on what makes Catwoman awesome. Yes, she is a sexy character, but the way she looks isn’t her sole purpose. Do I think that the costume could have been better? Yes, I think the current look of Catwoman in the comics is pretty much perfect in every way, and that it doesn’t need changing. But I’m also taking everything into consideration here.
But if you’re having some reservations about this take on Selina Kyle, think of two things:
1) She’s probably not going to be brought back to life by magical cat powers.
2) The costume doesn’t look like this:

Be very thankful.

Semper Fooey
Except I am not crazy about the goggles, the Catwoman look is alright. I am glad they kept the long hair. Keep in mind in her very first appearance, known simply as The Cat, she had no costume at all.

Okay, now I saw the previous post of the full Catwoman costume. It looks like a regular mask there, not goggles, and that is pretty close to what Pfeiffer was wearing.

If the film and character are well-written none of this will matter. If they aren't, then no costume would've saved it anyway. As long as it's not horrendously stupid it won't be the thing on which the character will ultimately hinge.

I'm not so sure, if what we see on screen undermines the dialogue and actions. If you can't take Bane seriously as a threat, then you wont care about any of what he does. I thought the general consensus was Bane was to be a physical threat, in particular. If he doesn't look the part, you won't buy into their fights. Catwoman is falling more down to fan expectations from what i've seen. We'll see. I'm still not sold on Bane, the military trampy looking jacket, would rather see him in vest and luche libre mask