Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Eden Lake (2008) - 5/10
Went into this hoping for a good movie, came out of it unable to shake the feeling of chagrin at how contrived the whole thing was. Sure - there's nothing happens that's not feasible, and sure again - I watch plenty of films where feasibility isn't even an expectation so it's not like I'm not able to stretch the imagination. But I'm afraid I just couldn't 'believe' in the manner certain events unfolded in this one which left me feeling disappointed more than anything. The acting is ok, the pace is ok, the plot as a whole is ok (albeit quite cliched) and it was refreshing to see Fassbender in a relatively weak role .... just didn't work overall for me though I'm afraid.

Sounds like you were impressed. Not many films can do that. I still think about Tarkovsky's Solaris from time to time, it impressed me. Did you see the full length version of it?

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ok I could just about comprehend and handle one person crapping on it. But now there's two? Nope sorry, that's going to do it for me. I'm out

Sounds like you were impressed. Not many films can do that. I still think about Tarkovsky's Solaris from time to time, it impressed me. Did you see the full length version of it?
Of course.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's so creative and funny. Some people nowadays consider "plot" and "mainstream" to be dirty words. Hilarious dialogue is often frowned upon in lieu of silence or "realistic" (aka "boring") exchanges. BttF has one of the most-creative plots ever written, but some people hate fantasy and try to pick it apart for realistic reasons, which is akin to criticizing neorealism for having no spaceships. I think it's got more laughs than probably any movie since, but some people hate comedies and apparently hate laughter too. I don't know why I like funny, creatively-plotted movies, but I think it's because they've been considered a good thing by critics and the general public since long before I was born. We all see things differently, and many here think my taste is unrefined, but I have as much right to cheer on my faves as anybody, so feel free to express your honest opinion, but rest assured that somebody thinks the exact opposite of you regarding basically everything. I try to keep my mouth shut most of the time. Sorry.

SoHo, I strongly support anyone's choice to like/dislike any type/style of film. That's what makes us individuals.

I see what you're saying, that Back To the Future seems hokey or cheesy, especially compared to Blade Runner, which was made in the same era. But still that's not a fair comparison as IMO the directors had vastly different movies in mind.
I was talking visual effects specifically, but I take your point.

I suppose I was just expecting a much bigger adventure from Back to the Future, something like a sci-fi Raiders of the Lost Ark. Instead it was more akin to the dreadful Temple of Doom, though certainly not as bad.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Instead it was more akin to the dreadful Temple of Doom, though certainly not as bad.
Oh boy wait for the reaction to this one. You're just making friends all over the place

I suppose I was just expecting a much bigger adventure from Back to the Future, something like a sci-fi Raiders of the Lost Ark. Instead it was more akin to the dreadful Temple of Doom, though certainly not as bad.
*Sigh*

Temple of Doom > Raiders

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Back to the Future -

I honestly thought it was stupid, tame and way too obvious. I know it's universally loved and I didn't find it boring or anything, but it just really felt very flat to me, and way too ham-fisted. It didn't help that the effects have dated poorly either. Maybe I'd have loved this as a child, but now I just found it juvenile and lacking in the thrills department.
The problem with BttF is that the formula they used was inovative at that time but it was repeated over and over again through the years so watching it now makes it seem dated, when in fact was a huge step on Sci-Fi!

That said, I would rate it
just because it's not my type of movie, though I recognize its value and importance! A bit like Star Wars (a series I'm not a particular fan of, I'm afraid).

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

You're not a fan of the 80s, I see! You're not alone brother! But almost, I would say!

So Cobpyth, I'm assuming you also find Solaris to be Tarkovsky's masterwork?
I've only seen Solaris and Stalker so far, so I don't really have the qualifications to state that yet. Both films tackle similar human issues in a way (from totally different viewpoints, though), but Solaris indeed made the biggest (first) impression on me so far. It was more my kind of setting and the final impact was much bigger. So yeah, I'd call it his masterwork from what I've seen so far.

That's twice... lets not make it a third tonight.

I've only seen Solaris and Stalker so far, so I don't really have the qualifications to state that yet. Both films tackle similar human issues in a way (from totally different viewpoints, though), but Solaris indeed made the biggest (first) impression on me so far. It was more my kind of setting and the final impact was much bigger. So yeah, I'd call it his masterwork from what I've seen so far.
Good comparisons, and I totally agree except for the part when you mention 'different viewpoints', though I'm not sure I understood it correctly

Would you mind elaborating?

Good comparisons, and I totally agree except for the part when you mention 'different viewpoints', though I'm not sure I understood it correctly

Would you mind elaborating?
Sure.
Stalker's main character is more like an observer than Kris Kelvin in Solaris, in my opinion. In Stalker the themes are mainly (though not exclusively) executed through the main characters' two companions, instead of through a pure experience of the main character. Near the end there's that big poignant discussion in Stalker about the dangers and the virtues of the wishing chamber, while in Solaris we have the main character realizing certain things, while also being helpless. He presents the duality on his own. He's not a philosophical observer (most of the time) who talks about the issues, but someone who is fully undergoing them.

I also think Stalker is a little less subtle than Solaris is. It's much more extreme vs extreme, instead of balancing on a line that can make you fall either way right until the end (even though extremes are still explored).

I hope this makes sense to you somehow.

It's so creative and funny. Some people nowadays consider "plot" and "mainstream" to be dirty words. Hilarious dialogue is often frowned upon in lieu of silence or "realistic" (aka "boring") exchanges. BttF has one of the most-creative plots ever written, but some people hate fantasy and try to pick it apart for realistic reasons, which is akin to criticizing neorealism for having no spaceships. I think it's got more laughs than probably any movie since, but some people hate comedies and apparently hate laughter too. I don't know why I like funny, creatively-plotted movies, but I think it's because they've been considered a good thing by critics and the general public since long before I was born. We all see things differently, and many here think my taste is unrefined, but I have as much right to cheer on my faves as anybody, so feel free to express your honest opinion, but rest assured that somebody thinks the exact opposite of you regarding basically everything. I try to keep my mouth shut most of the time. Sorry.
Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. I wasn't criticising Back to the Future for being unrealistic, that'd be completely unfair. I didn't expect realism, nor did I want it. There are plenty of films which can be considered roller-coaster rides which I adore.

My issues with it were numerous, but in terms of overall effect, it left me very underwhelmed. I didn't get drawn into the world, which felt paper thin. I thought the setting would be rich, and full of interesting, minute details that drew a vibrant picture. Instead, everything relied on the crude and the nauseatingly obvious. Visually, it wasn't nearly as arresting as I had hoped.

It seems like you're implying that I am one of these people you refer to. I like funny too. I love creative. Whilst I won't deny that there aren't bubbles of creative juice simmering at the surface here, they don't really come to the boil. As for the dialogue, there were some occasional chuckles (I liked the Reagan quip) but for the most part it was hackneyed and just too cheesy for my liking.

I did express my honest opinion, and I do understand that most people love the movie. I didn't chastise anyone for that opinion, I'm far from being an elitist when it comes to movies. I don't know if you interpreted my disdain for the film as a slight on its fans, but if so, then that was certainly not my intention. I respect that everyone has different tastes. I was merely posting my thoughts on what I saw.

Hey -- you trashed a mainstream '80s movie. #3 on the 1980's Movie Countdown, no less.

I get it: You're trying to be really cool around here. You probably love Asian movies, don't you? Don't you?! I know you do.

Sure.
Stalker's main character is more like an observer than Kris Kelvin in Solaris, in my opinion. In Stalker the themes are mainly (though not exclusively) executed through the main characters' two companions, instead of through a pure experience of the main character. Near the end there's that big poignant discussion in Stalker about the dangers and the virtues of the wishing chamber, while in Solaris we have the main character realizing certain things, while also being helpless. He presents the duality on his own. He's not a philosophical observer (most of the time) who talks about the issues, but someone who is fully undergoing them.

I also think Stalker is a little less subtle than Solaris is. It's much more extreme vs extreme, instead of balancing on a line that can make you fall either way right until the end (even though extremes are still explored).

I hope this makes sense to you somehow.

What makes you think that in Stalker the themes are executed through the protagonist's companions? Is it because of their conversations?

Personally I think the main character in Stalker is as much a protagonist as Kelvin is in Solaris, and this is something that I noticed only once I realized how powerful the changes from color to sepia really were