Stallone Wants An Expendables Sequel

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
"If this does perform, I think it will open a little more liquidity in funding the sequel," he tells the LA Times. "I have an idea ready to go. People think doing a sequel is easy, but it's not because you need the element of surprise. I'm going to try to do something that's quite radical."
“Quite radical” is one thing, but sadly he wouldn’t say any more about what that might entail. He’s naturally being cautious – after all, the first Expendables was an effort to find financing and support for, and that’s despite the shed load of action talent who had agreed to star in it.
And despite all the goodwill building in the run up to the release, distributor Lionsgate is still licking its wounds from the disappointing performance of Kick-Ass, which had plenty of anticipation but not a huge audience in the end.
Sly, though, is looking on the bright side, and accentuating the positive in what lesser men might see as a serious negative. Apparently, he started to feel more confident about the movie’s prospects when he, er, broke his neck on the set. “It's a good omen," he says. "I didn't get a hangnail on the set of Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. " Right. Thanks, Sly. We'd call him a weirdo, but he'd twist our heads off.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/sto...wsletter%20(1)

I havent seen The Expendables yet but im looking forward to seeing it and possibly the sequel

at least Stallone is honest in the expendables, admitting he got his ass kicked in 1 of the scenes. I watched the Expendables in theatre and I enjoyed the fight scenes and the humors in the movie. I think the most important part was there was no crazy shaky camera to drive me nuts (cough, 2nd and 3rd Bourne's series movie).

Semper Fooey
Stallone wants to make movies. He'd make Rocky fighting punks in a wheelchair if he could get it made.

Stallone wants to make movies. He'd make Rocky fighting punks in a wheelchair if he could get it made.
And the film industry just might fund a picture like that if they thought people would want to see it.

EXPENDABLES was a waste of time for me. It was great to see Dolph vs Jet Li but I think that there was a better fight between Dolph and Van Damage in UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION.

Stallone is just too old, and his face is looking strange and stretchy from all of those years of HGH abuse.

The Governator was a bad joke.

Rourke is fat now.

Jaso Statham is getting on my nerves. I hope he hurries up with CRANK 3 so that I can like him again.

Randy Coutre was window dressing.

Terry Crews outranked everyone on the set and I think he knows it. I see big things for that dude (like I said in a diff thread, TERRY CREWS for KRATOS).

That plot was weak silliness. The only thing that got this film any play was Stallone's nonstop self-pimping on AICN and his cast of has-beens. I feel both hoodwinked and bamboozled by this one.

A sequel? NO THANKYOU.

Stallone is just too old, and his face is looking strange and stretchy from all of those years of HGH abuse.
So??.. He still gave a solid performance as an actor & director as well.

The Governator was a bad joke.
Ummm.. Nope!!.. everybody was laughing out loud...
& it was really funny.

Yes he is.. but that doesn't make his character any less cooler..

Jason Statham is getting on my nerves. I hope he hurries up with CRANK 3 so that I can like him again.
he does tend to do that a lot sometimes.. But honestly, this has to be his least annoying film other than Crank...

Terry Crews outranked everyone on the set and I think he knows it. I see big things for that dude (like I said in a diff thread, TERRY CREWS for KRATOS).
Crews was IMO the weakest character in the film...
Have seen him do really well in many other films... but this was his worst role... he was just wasted in the film...

& Crews for Kratos??... No way!!... Kratos deserves someone with more rage & screen presence..
If Crews ends up as a lead in any movie, I might just end up falling asleep.

That plot was weak silliness. The only thing that got this film any play was Stallone's nonstop self-pimping on AICN and his cast of has-beens. I feel both hoodwinked and bamboozled by this one.

A sequel? NO THANKYOU.
Yes, truly a silly plot... but these mercenary films have been existing for ages.. & this one is just another mercenary film...
But I don't think Stallone wanted to sell the film with a good plot..

He just wanted to make a decent action film & he did just that..
It's great to see a decent action film after a long time...

This movie succeeds where A-Team fails... A-Team had no action at all.. The major action scenes were FX Laden & over-the-top silly..

I have to admit, since Taken & Shoot 'em up.. it was nice to see a decent action film...

A sequel is definitely needed.

I liked The Expendables. If you went into it thinking it was going to be anything but full on action and comedy then you went into it with the wrong attitude.

i liked it, i was kinda sad when i heard about all the other actors stallone wanted but couldnt get. i think maybe they will be checking their wallets when sequel times comes around...

the story was ok, charecter development lacked cause there were so many of them, but thats expected.

and im sorry but terry crews is awesome. that dude cracks me up in anything he does. seriously.....the right guard ads? i lol everytime.

So??.. He still gave a solid performance as an actor & director as well. .
I have seen Stallone act before. That was COPLAND. I have seen him be a total hack before. That was SPY KIDS 3D. He is doing no special performance here (outside of mugging with his HGH stretched face).
This point is subjective.

Ummm.. Nope!!.. everybody was laughing out loud...
& it was really funny.
The whole Governator scene was strained. The bulk of it was revealed in the previews. But hey, humor is subjective too. The theater I was in featured groans and not LOLs BTW.

Yes he is.. but that doesn't make his character any less cooler...
Rourke's character was FAR FROM COOL. You want cool Rourke? Check THE INFORMANTS. Check IRON MAN 2 even. Check SIN CITY. What was going on in THE EXPENDABLES was a bunch of strange redneck hickery with a buddha pipe, a cowboy hat and a tattoo sequence that was far from plausible. Rourke is playing a strange, sentimental "out of the game" womanizer who likes to let his belly hang out and throw knives. I will give him a point for not being a complete stereotype, but he was pretty weaksauce. Once again, its subjective. I have seen Rourke put it down (even as a crooked lawyer in MAN ON FIRE he was more compelling).

he does tend to do that a lot sometimes.. But honestly, this has to be his least annoying film other than Crank...
I was on a fishing expedition when I cited CRANK. I was actually hoping someone would speak up and say that they are fans of the CRANK series as well. I personally love the films, but I do understand that people really hate Chev Chelios IRL. Statham did nothing for me. His badassery was amusing, but ridiculous. He beats up an entire basketball court and then lets his GF in on "what he does" for a living. It was such a strained notion that I was kicked out of the film mentally. But hey, Statham has made a career of doing the ridiculous. I found him more believable in DEATH RACE. There just wasn't enough there for him to do or act with. And really, his lame-duck poetry recital at the end of the film was the last straw. I don't think that poetry sequence is subjective, however. I think it is bad writing/poetry and a horrible end to a film.

Crews was IMO the weakest character in the film...
Have seen him do really well in many other films... but this was his worst role... he was just wasted in the film...

& Crews for Kratos??... No way!!... Kratos deserves someone with more rage & screen presence..
If Crews ends up as a lead in any movie, I might just end up falling asleep.
Crews was wasted as a character. So was Coutre for that matter. Crews was there for window dressing...and I stand by what I said: He loked better than all of them.
Crews can act, too. He wasn't given anything to do in this film. Crews for Kratos. the other guy people like to throw around as a Kratos contender is Vin Deisel. I say no way. Crews could do it, and he deserves that kind of break. Rage? Check Crews out in GAMER (if you can stomach the mediocrity). Crews conveys menace well. Crews is also in TRAINING DAY for just a minute, but he might as well be starring in that film based on the upstaging he can do by just standing there. However, grading his performance in THE EXPENDABLES is subjective at best.

Yes, truly a silly plot... but these mercenary films have been existing for ages.. & this one is just another mercenary film...
But I don't think Stallone wanted to sell the film with a good plot.
This is the meat and bones of our difference of opinion. I really had a hope that Stallone would take the "mercenary film" concept to the next level. He didn't. He stayed in tried and true stagnant waters. It is unfortunate. He is an intelligent, well-read man. I thought he was capable of something better. More of the same is the last thing that Hollywood needs right now. Conceptually, THE EXPENDABLES is an out of the park concept. All of those action stars in the same movie? WOW. Now give them a plot to work with.

THE EXPENDABLES plays for the lamest expectations. I am sooo tired of going to a movie and having to keep my expectations low in order to have a good time. 2010 is by far the worst year for movies and only in a year this bad would anyone come to the defense of something as banal as THE EXPENDABLES.

This movie succeeds where A-Team fails... A-Team had no action at all.. The major action scenes were FX Laden & over-the-top silly...
There is no way I would defend the A-TEAM. Both of these films are in the same pile. Joe Carnahan murdered my faith in him with that film. Like I said, 2010 is a horrific year for movies.

I have to admit, since Taken & Shoot 'em up.. it was nice to see a decent action film...

A sequel is definitely needed.
SHOOT EM UP is another film that I feel should be in the same pile as THE A TEAM or THE EXPENDABLES. What a pathetic attempt at cinema. Now I will have to take issue with you on TAKEN. That took the standard "GIVE ME BACK MY SON!" vibe of RANSOM and put it to a European body count as Qui-Gon wrecked France getting to the bottom of it. It was a complete cliche, but executed rather well. There was decent character development and more of a solid explanation of what was going on. If I were to posit TAKEN vs THE EXPENDABLES it would be no contest as to what is a better executed film...even though both films are pedestrian in their plots. TAKEN is simply superior.

THE EXPENDABLES will probably get a sequel. I can think of many other films much more deserving of a sequel though. But then again, it is all subjective.

I really had a hope that Stallone would take the "mercenary film" concept to the next level. He didn't. He stayed in tried and true stagnant waters. It is unfortunate. He is an intelligent, well-read man. I thought he was capable of something better. More of the same is the last thing that Hollywood needs right now. Conceptually, THE EXPENDABLES is an out of the park concept. All of those action stars in the same movie? WOW. Now give them a plot to work with.
I have to ask, did you really think that Sly would do something with this? After hearing about the concept and who he wanted (before most of the cast was even in place) I knew what this would be. Sly's been trying to keep his career going with fan favourites since Rocky Balboa and there was nothing here to think that that'd change. With his career as it is? In the current Hollywood climate? This was never going to be anything than a fanfest.

Sly is the guy who spoke of having army of Genetic Supersoldiers in Rambo V..
Trust me, you shouldn't keep such high expectations from the guy...

He has clearly mentioned it before that nowadays kids have a wrong idea of action heroes & he wishes to show them what Bad Ass Action is..
That's why John Rambo & Expendables are so weak in plot & high on action..

I would never have gone to see Expendables if I had any different expectations from Sly... If you went with any other expectations, then you must not be familiar with Sly's style of direction.

The best thing about Expendables is, it delivers what it promised.

Interesting take.
My bad for having hope that Stallone was going to bring some goods. This was an eye-opener for me. But it fits in perfectly with this dismal year of film. I went in with an expectation of a film with a bit more than a general semblence of a plot and some rather stock action sequences. I was not expecting a completely intelligence-free grunt-fest. Why would Stallone try to teach a new generation of kids that 80s action movies are where its at? The 90s and the 2000s have demonstrated that action movies can be intelligent.

I cited COPLAND earlier. I know that Stallone is capable of more if he puts his head to it. Heck, I'll even throw in GET CARTER (back when Rourke wasn't fat). I think the scripts for both CLIFFHANGER and DRIVEN are Stallones. Both seem to be in a direction of genreal coherence. It was my mistake to think that there has been any maturing since then.

Whatever. Mediocrity rules the wasteland. After reading this thread, there is no doubt in my mind that there is a market for EXPENDABLES 2 as well as a fanbase that craves it.

i havnt seen the first and dont realy want to after some reviews i have read.

Why would Stallone try to teach a new generation of kids that 80s action movies are where its at?
Partly because that's when he was at his prime. They are action movies for him (and me, frankly.) The other reason I'd put forward is because they're perfect for today's movie business. With the foreign take now often being as important as the US take, especially with action and comedy, easy to follow plots (if they exist at all) and little dialogue sells better, as you don't have to be educated or speak/understand English to enjoy them.

I was actually surprised that he had trouble getting finance for The Expendables.

Semper Fooey

I was actually surprised that he had trouble getting finance for The Expendables.
Because he is old.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I didn't think I would, but I did enjoy it. Yes it was a balls-out testosterone-romp. Yes, they jumped away from explosions in slow motion (my pet peeve). Yes, he once again makes Americans look bad by glorifying our love of blowing things up (it is kinda true though, tee hee hee...)

However...You gotta give Sly credit for doing what he did.

He has some kind of strange ability to make a movie more than what it is. Maybe it's his timing or whatever, but he does have that iconic touch. When we drove to Philly, my father-in-law had to hop out of the car at the Philadelphia Museum and run up the steps! (along with several other folks)

He came a long way from this scene in his very first role, where his salary was 25 movie T-shirts!