Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Heat (1995)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Heatposter.jpg

Blimming 'ell 25 years old. This still hangs together and is a great ensemble movie rather than "De Niro and Pacino". The music (Mobys take on Joy Divisions New Dawn Fades a favourite) and the pacing are fantastic...it has aged remarkably well.

Soylent Green (1973) - 6.2/10. Took a break from the regular Oscar stuff. It was enjoyable in parts. A good movie on an idle afternoon. Heston was good.

Heat (1995)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Heatposter.jpg

Blimming 'ell 25 years old. This still hangs together and is a great ensemble movie rather than "De Niro and Pacino". The music (Mobys take on Joy Divisions New Dawn Fades a favourite) and the pacing are fantastic...it has aged remarkably well.

I saw a few snippets of it last night. Actually I hadn't twigged about Joy Division until you mentioned them – I like that track too. I was very attentive to Elliot Goldenthal's music where Neil is persuading Breedan to be the driver. He must be one of the best composers at representing

WARNING: spoilers below
fate and tragic consequences. Alien 3 stands out in that way as well.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 1962 Directed by John Ford

Good recommendation, gbgoodies & Citizen_Rules
#30 on my all time fav western list for now, still many classics to see.
+

Dark Waters 2019 Directed by Todd Haynes

Good realistic slow-paced conspiracy drama /thriller, affects 99% of the people on earth so I would say a must-see.
+

Uncle Buck 1989 Directed by John Hughes

Richard Jewell 2019 Directed by Clint Eastwood

Even though hell_storm2004 doesn't like him, I thought Jon Hamm and Sam Rockwell were really strong in this one.
+

Not another Happy Ending (2013)

Happy go lucky comedy which raised laughs in the right places. Good to do a bit of Glasgow placespotting too low-key and low-budget but a small winner.

Legend in my own mind
Rambo:Last Blood (2019)

Will put the full reasoning on my thread

The Hunting Party (1971)

A violent western with a great story and cast but I felt it fell short of it's potential. It would be a good movie to be remade. Gene Hackman plays a man who's part of the wealthy elite. He's not a good guy and treats his wife (Candice Bergen) like crap. When he goes off on a hunting trip with his friends, she's mistaken for a school teacher and kidnapped by an outlaw gang led by Oliver Reed. He wants her to teach him how to read. Hackman finds out, and him and his buds head out to pick them off with their long distance high powered rifles. While this is going on, his wife and Oliver Reed fall in love.

Freaks (2018)

I had heard quite a lot of good opinions on this beforehand and I'm happy that for once I didn't have to be disappointed. I can't really say much about the film without spoiling anything but it just works. Good script, good acting (that 7-year-old girl amazing) and interesting take on the familiar concept. Anyone know what the budget is (it's supposed to be cheap but couldn't find actual numbers anywhere)? If this counts as 2019 film (there's been some festival screenings in 2018) it's at the top of my list right now.

Is it just me, or are RomComs fading away? I can't remember any released last year. Or something that became popular.
You're probably right about rom/coms fading. But Woody Allen's A Rainy Day in New York (2019) was very nicely done.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Weathering with You (2019)

So my plan to go see this ended up getting delayed by more than a week because a bunch of crazy stuff happened, then I missed the first couple of minutes or so because of the long frickin' line to get popcorn and drinks that Mom just had to wade through, and to top it all off, my 4:45 "dubbed" screening—the GKIDS website and the Regal Cinemas website said the dub was showing at both 2:00 and 4:45—turned out to be the sub. I still feel like we got stuck up in there—who the hell charges $6.17 for a drink? I'm also pretty sure Mom missed most of the animation because she was reading the subtitles—she didn't even know Mitsuha was in the movie until I mentioned it after the fact. Still, I really enjoyed this one. You can bet on this Shinkai fan buying the Blu-ray when it eventually gets released and I can even see myself saving up the money to get a second pass at a dubbed screening. The animation is stunning, the story is rock-solid, the voice acting is up to par—and this is coming from someone who watches anime in his native language 98% of the time, the principal characters are likable, and the RADWIMPS score is incredible. All in all, Shinkai's winning streak continues.

Pain and Glory (2019) - 7/10. This is one of Pedro's most colorful movies I can recall. The bright set design and especially the reds! Amazingly well done. Banderas does a killer performance. It was a good movie. Thoughtful, easy paced.

Superhero movies are like a bad addiction. I don't want to, I know it's not good for me but I can't help it. Eventually the cravings are too much and I give in. Not a big fan of the kids "trapped" in an adult body or vice-versa films so right off the bat I was wary and it went about like I expected. At least it didn't try to be a heavy movie although that may have been hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

You're probably right about rom/coms fading. But Woody Allen's A Rainy Day in New York (2019) was very nicely done.
I can say, I won't miss that genre all that much, if it goes away completely, never been a fan!

The Good Liar (2019) - 6.1/10. Took ages to get going. It it just decent. The intrigue is just not there. Well acted though. Well, what can you expect when you have two heavyweights in the lead. But it is a bit flat as a movie. McKellen just fell a notch or two for me, how dare he rough up the Queen!

The Foreigner [2017] ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan lead the cast of this enjoyable action film. Jackie Chan plays a man, Ngoc Minh Quan whose daughter dies in the bombing of a clothing store, and Brosnan who plays the character of a former IRA leader, Liam Hennessy. Quan is convinced Hennessy knows who is behind the bombing, and goes to extreme lengths to gain the names of those who are responsible so he can take his own revenge.

This is very much an action film that doesn't do anything particularly new, but I think the acting from both leads really propels it above other action films. Jackie Chan in particular, puts in an impressive emotional performance.

Richard Jewell (2019)

Finally caught up with Richard Jewell last night. Clint Eastwood's directed and co-produced film is one of the best of 2019, and puts Eastwood back on track as one of our finest directors. The story of the slow witted security guard discovering a suspected terrorist bomb at the '96 Olympics, and promoting the evacuation of hundreds who would otherwise have been killed or injured when the bomb soon exploded, showcases how a rapacious wicked press, along with a predatory government agency goes all out to railroad the guard into being the perpetrator of the crime.

There were impressive and emotional performances from relative newcomer Paul Walter Hauser as Richard Jewell, the veteran Kathy Bates, and multi-talented Sam Rockwell. Jon Hamm did a good job as the FBI agent, but I thought he was slightly miscast. Olivia Wilde plays the conniving journalist, and Nina Arianda (Goliath) fills out the strong cast as Rockwell's assistant.

Eastwood did his typical meticulous job of sticking to the facts of the case, and presenting the story in a logical manner. One of the difficulties in making a bio-crime-drama is how to make a fairly well known story interesting. Here it's done by focusing on the ferocity of the FBI and the deceitful press in their efforts to frame Jewell; and by portraying the emotion and frustration felt by Jewell's family and defense.

The film reportedly did poorly at the box office, presumably for the lack of a big name star. Ironically co-producers Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio had been slated to play Jewell and his attorney respectively. They dropped out as actors, but remained as co-producers. Still, Hauser turned in a full ranged performance with the excellence and sensitivity of a veteran actor. We'll be seeing more of him.

The film has not, and is not likely to be given much media positivity, since it shines the spotlight on a high-handed despotic press and government, while featuring the story of a simple southern white man with traditional values who is wronged and ruined by the establishment. But go see this picture. It's memorable.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Dr Sleep (2019)

Interesting sequel to The Shining with Ewan McGregor playing Dan. The lad years on is an alcoholic using drink to dull his "Shine" and also to deal with memories from "Overlook Hotel". I enjoyed this quite a bit, there's a few scenes that are somewhat hard to watch but overall its a good, solid adaptation of a King book.

Marriage Story (2019)

Emotional trip with a couple navigating the way through divorce for the best of their kid and handling east and west coast work responsibilities. The cast did well and, I don't think, it ever resorted to schmaltz as other films about the subject matter can do. Simple, Universal tale and very well told and acted.

Legend in my own mind
I loved this film

Superhero movies are like a bad addiction. I don't want to, I know it's not good for me but I can't help it. Eventually the cravings are too much and I give in. Not a big fan of the kids "trapped" in an adult body or vice-versa films so right off the bat I was wary and it went about like I expected. At least it didn't try to be a heavy movie although that may have been hilarious for all the wrong reasons.