Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Seventh Seal (1957)

The Bergman film I've been waiting to see and it was worth the wait. All descriptions that I've ever seen tell of a Knight, Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) returning from the Crusades who meets Death incarnate and engages him in a game of chess. Well, that is what happens, but a lot happens in-between. Lots of great characters, especially Gunnar Björnstrand as Jöns, Block's squire, who almost shares equal screen time with Sydow. Block wants answers from Death about everything, having lost faith after seeing so much waste of human life during the Crusades. How things turn out I won't say, but this was a great film, loaded with interesting characters.

A Night at the Opera (1935)

One of the funniest Marx Brothers movies, ever. I put it on equal footing with Duck Soup (1933) in the laugh department. This is the movie that features the famous "crowded ship's stateroom" sequence, and the almost-equally famous contract negotiation between Groucho and Chico. But there's more. There are more hi-jinks on the ship, plus Harpo playing his harp and Chico his piano, all for the delight of a group of children. Another great sequence with the boys in an apartment, moving the furniture out of room into another to the consternation of a policeman who thinks he's losing his mind. Then the final third of the film, set at the opera, naturally. I can't even describe everything that goes on here. If you're bored hearing the two romantic leads sing opera, don't worry, the Marx Brothers are cutting up the whole time. This is a classic comedy and a must-own on DVD.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Shampoo (1975)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Unregistered User
Alyce Kills (2011)

This was on my watchlist for a reason, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. It reminded me of a modern day Repulsion, except more kinky and violent. Actually, it turns out to be a pretty sick movie after starting a bit slow. The last half hour is pretty nuts, but it's played nicely, preventing it from getting ridiculous. It's well made with good performances. I think I'd recommend it to the likes of MovieGal, Minio, Swan, Godoggo, Samoan Lawyer, Jiraffe, and maybe Captain.

Added to the watchlist, cheers Cricket

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Inbetweeners 2

A Million ways to die in the west

Colombiana

~When im listening to Metallica, Nothing else matters~

N3wt's Movie Reviews New DVD Thread Top-100

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Alyce Kills (2011)

This was on my watchlist for a reason, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. It reminded me of a modern day Repulsion, except more kinky and violent. Actually, it turns out to be a pretty sick movie after starting a bit slow. The last half hour is pretty nuts, but it's played nicely, preventing it from getting ridiculous. It's well made with good performances. I think I'd recommend it to the likes of MovieGal, Minio, Swan, Godoggo, Samoan Lawyer, Jiraffe, and maybe Captain.

Ive been meaning to watch this for some time but havent gotten round to it but following your review I will definitely get watching it soon

Leviathan (2012)

- I just didn't get it.
I dont know what there is to "get"? I find it really interesting, taking Cinéma vérité to its extreme. Albeit its a long time since i have seen that one, i like the radical documentaries which they have produced in recent years for instance Sweet Grass, Manakamana and The Iron Ministry. For me Leviathan was a visceral experience, nearly hallucinatory, of the life of a trawler in the north Atlantic.

Unregistered User
Not watched any others that you mentioned but i just didn't enjoy Leviathan at all. I understand having a hallucinatory experience from it but aside from that i found it boring. I'm glad you found it interesting but it's really not something i could ever imagine myself enjoying. Just not to my taste unfortunately.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Dr. No (1962)

First 007 movie and a good one! It feels like everyone, director and actors, are still looking for the right way to shoot Ian Fleming's amazing book. Sean Connery is without a doubt the best 007 ever and here he was still learning! I think that in Goldfinger he achieves the best of the entire series, at least counting those I've seen so far!

6/10

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Navajo Joe (1966)

A good spaghetti western! Not as great as great as Lione or even some of other Corbucci's flicks, but still entertaining, always with some doses of morality and social critic! Some plot issues here and there and some really artificial acting by almost everyone involved! It's also the source for A LOT of scenes that Tarantino uses on Kill Bill, Basterds and Django!

Btw, to any spaghetti-western expert (cough cough, Mr. Minio, cough cough), is it me or the Bank in this movie is exactly the same as the one in For a Few Dollars More?

6/10

Let me ask something. Is it only a movie supposed to be here as a discussion subject?
Is it only a movie supposed to be here as a discussion subject? Is movies the only subject which is supposed to be discussed here? How about any show? The Dexter show is the greatest show around the world. I like it. I have been watching it not so long. Thanks

The Skeleton Twins (2014)

Started out rather poorly but then about halfway through it sort of struggled itself out of plain mediocracy and semi-succesfully resurfaced towards the end.

So is it a flawless movie? Not even remotely... But somehow there was charm and smiles to find in this rather heavyhanded and sort of depressing suicide drama. Jokes felt rather flat and drama wasn't perfect but there was enough to love for me to enjoy it. Great acting also from two surprising casting choices in the title role duo.

-

Back to the Future -

I honestly thought it was stupid, tame and way too obvious. I know it's universally loved and I didn't find it boring or anything, but it just really felt very flat to me, and way too ham-fisted. It didn't help that the effects have dated poorly either. Maybe I'd have loved this as a child, but now I just found it juvenile and lacking in the thrills department.

Back to the Future -

I honestly thought it was stupid, tame and way too obvious. I know it's universally loved and I didn't find it boring or anything, but it just really felt very flat to me, and way too ham-fisted. It didn't help that the effects have dated poorly either. Maybe I'd have loved this as a child, but now I just found it juvenile and lacking in the thrills department.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Back to the Future -

When just one gif can't aptly sum up your confusion and horror -