V for Vendetta

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by jrs
They are part of the writing team. So In a way, it is from the creator's of the Matrix trilogy.
The wording is ambiguous. "An Uncompromising Vision Of The Future From The Creators Of The Matrix Trilogy" can be read two ways: 1) that the story is being presented by the Wachowski's, or 2) that the Wachowski's came up with the story.

My beef is this: that the Wachowski's would have no film if Alan Moore and David Lloyd hadn't produced the graphic novel in the first place, and nowhere on this poster or on the website (save for one small sentence in the "Press" section) does it mention either Moore or Lloyd's names.

The production team has already been somewhat shady with Moore. Earlier on, Larry Wachowski had contacted Moore in hopes that the writer might jump onboard the film production. Moore politely declined, stating that he "didn't want anything to do with films and had no time this year" and that he "wasn't interested in Hollywood." Immediately afterward, a press release covering a press conference with Joel Silver and members of the cast about the film stated that Moore was "was very excited about what Larry had to say and Larry sent him the script, so we hope to see him sometime before we're in the U.K." Moore was understandably bothered by the press release, feeling that his name was "taken in vain" (that is, being used to promote the film when he never endorsed it), and he sought a retraction to the "blatant lies." No apology was ever given, but Silver's words were taken down from the website.

You can read about it here.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by jrs
They are part of the writing team. So In a way, it is from the creator's of the Matrix trilogy.
Nope. The important stuff, like, the whole concept behind V for Vendetta, was all Moore and Lloyd. Any "additional writing" that they attempt to add will just not hold up to the writing of Alan Moore. But hell, since Joel Silver stole both The Matrix story (in court now) and The Terminator story (already settled out of court, with damages going to Harlan Ellison), they would be in form totally aping the V for Vendetta stuff and getting even MORE famous off of even more stolen material.

I just re-read some of V, and there is NO WAY they are going to stick closely to the source material. As if the studios would put out a film glorifying a person that can (and will) be construed as a terrorist.

No hope for this one.

England Prevails.

Wachowskis = Thieves

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
O.K., so they messed up the Matrix, I'm still looking forward to this.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
Nope. The important stuff, like, the whole concept behind V for Vendetta, was all Moore and Lloyd. Any "additional writing" that they attempt to add will just not hold up to the writing of Alan Moore. But hell, since Joel Silver stole both The Matrix story (in court now) and The Terminator story (already settled out of court, with damages going to Harlan Ellison), they would be in form totally aping the V for Vendetta stuff and getting even MORE famous off of even more stolen material.

I just re-read some of V, and there is NO WAY they are going to stick closely to the source material. As if the studios would put out a film glorifying a person that can (and will) be construed as a terrorist.

No hope for this one.

England Prevails.

Wachowskis = Thieves
Agreed completely.

Apparently, the Wachowskis think it's alright to take a pre-existing work and do what you want with it to make money, regardless of the original point or motivation of the story.

And from what I've read, the script features some scenes that are (relatively) spot on from the book, and some scenes created or altered entirely by the Wachowskis - making the story feel disjointed, confused, and altogether contradictory (and apparently, like Sedai said, doesn't match the quality and style of Alan Moore).

I guarantee you, this film will not make the same points that Moore's book does, because as Sedai suggested, that's just not a popular concept right now. Such a shame. The production looks like such a damn good one, too. I can't believe it. If you're inspired enough to make a film based on something, just make THAT film. Don't throw the material to the dogs, and then give us whatever ridiculous shapes you can make out of the crap that comes out.

To those of you who have not read V for Vendetta (and probably won't before this film's release), you're missing so much more than this film will give you.

V for Vendetta
The official site has added the new trailer for Joel Silver's V For Vendetta.

Choose your connection below:

Hi-Res
Med-Res
Lo-Res

'High-Definition' trailer will be available soon.

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, "V For Vendetta" tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante (Hugo Weaving) known only as "V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself -- and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption. Based on the acclaimed graphic novel "V For Vendetta" by Alan Moore ("The Watchmen," "From Hell") and illustrator David Lloyd.

Release Date: November 4, 2005
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: James McTeigue
Screenwriter: Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski
Starring: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, John Hurt, Tim Pigott-Smith, Sinead Cusack
Genre: Action, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Here to support the villians.......
May see this, my interest is certainly rising now I have seen posters and know Hugo Weaving is in it. Just so long as the Wachowski's brothers don't screw it up like they did with the Matrix sequels.

i just finished reading the comics for the first time and i gotta say i hope they can do this right because its an awsome story

guys..this movie has me totally engulfed in it..because it looks cool and its music is from equilibrium...the trailer makes it even resemble equilibrium and its just almost the very same thing...can't wait.

equilibrium was an amazing movie unfortunatly i missed the last hour can anyone fill me in as to wat happened, as for vandetta mmeh equil mixed with xmen but il still prob go see it

Eating you Since 1984
hate to disappoint you guys:

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=8341

yeah hope the movie is awesome as well.too much hype about this movie from vertigo films.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Dukefrukem
hate to disappoint you guys:

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=8341
That's really funny. The original November 5th release date actually has a little bit to do with the storyline (which would have made for a nice, novel opening). Now the film's been delayed. Whoops...

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
guys..this movie has me totally engulfed in it..because it looks cool and its music is from equilibrium...the trailer makes it even resemble equilibrium and its just almost the very same thing...can't wait.
Well, I can't speak for whatever the Wachowskis are turning V for Vendetta into, but the only tangible connection between Alan Moore's story and Equilibrium is the existence of a totalitarian, fascist government. The two governments in question, however, control their people in very different ways. And the protagonist from each, despite hailing from very different backgrounds (one from outside the system, and one from within), also seek very different ends to the respective systems they're trying to bring down - through somewhat different means, no less. And if the Wachowskis somehow end this film the way Moore ended the story, we'll get a deeper message about the nature of control/government that goes a step further than Equilibrium's message ever did.

While I really enjoyed Equilibrium, I'm keeping silent and futile hope that the Wachowskis make this the grim, pseudo-realistic (and much less stylized) picture it needs to be with regard to Moore's story and presentation. We'll see...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by inibriated
equilibrium was an amazing movie unfortunatly i missed the last hour can anyone fill me in as to wat happened, as for vandetta mmeh equil mixed with xmen but il still prob go see it
It's actually absolutely nothing like either of those. Have you read the original source material? Vendetta is set in a Dystopic Near-future, to be sure, but it's a character study, dealing with activism, genetic experimentation in prison camps, and the interaction between a terrorist/activist and a young woman.... Really, nothing like X-men at all, and very different from Equilibrium.

Equilibrium was a so-so film, that had some sections I really liked, and I always enjoy watching C. Bale, but, the last act is terrible, so be glad you missed it. In the directors defense, he was forced to shoot a tacked on ending as he ran over budget and over-time and his original ending had to be scrapped. According to him anyway....

Eating you Since 1984
Originally Posted by Sleezy
That's really funny. The original November 5th release date actually has a little bit to do with the storyline (which would have made for a nice, novel opening). Now the film's been delayed. Whoops...
Yup. Too bad. Now we can't remember, remember the 5th of november.

history *is* moralizing
Alan Moore, co-creator of the "V For Vendetta" comic, has publicly disassociated himself from the upcoming Warner Brothers movie project based on the comic book and written and produced by the Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix), and, as a result, has cut his remaining ties with DC Comics, which include future volumes of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".
http://www.alanmoorefansite.com/news...5.html#vfvloeg