MoFo Book Club - March '22

Tools    

We all float down here....
Let's make a few changes for March...

On the 12th of March we can discuss the first half of the book, and on the 22nd we can discuss the entire book.... No Spoilers.

My Nomination: The Midnight Library

The #1 New York Times bestselling WORLDWIDE phenomenon

Winner of the Goodreads Choice Award for Fiction | A Good Morning America Book Club Pick | Independent (London) Ten Best Books of the Year

"A feel-good book guaranteed to lift your spirits."—The Washington Post

The dazzling reader-favorite about the choices that go into a life well lived, from the acclaimed author of How To Stop Time and The Comfort Book.

Somewhere out beyond the edge of the universe there is a library that contains an infinite number of books, each one the story of another reality. One tells the story of your life as it is, along with another book for the other life you could have lived if you had made a different choice at any point in your life. While we all wonder how our lives might have been, what if you had the chance to go to the library and see for yourself? Would any of these other lives truly be better?

In The Midnight Library, Matt Haig's enchanting blockbuster novel, Nora Seed finds herself faced with this decision. Faced with the possibility of changing her life for a new one, following a different career, undoing old breakups, realizing her dreams of becoming a glaciologist; she must search within herself as she travels through the Midnight Library to decide what is truly fulfilling in life, and what makes it worth living in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Libr...t%2C116&sr=1-1

A system of cells interlinked
My nomination for March is Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty.

From Goodreads...

A space adventure set on a lone ship where the clones of a murdered crew must find their murderer -- before they kill again.

It was not common to awaken in a cloning vat streaked with drying blood.

At least, Maria Arena had never experienced it. She had no memory of how she died. That was also new; before, when she had awakened as a new clone, her first memory was of how she died.

Maria's vat was in the front of six vats, each one holding the clone of a crew member of the starship Dormire, each clone waiting for its previous incarnation to die so it could awaken. And Maria wasn't the only one to die recently...

Sci fi mixed with a murder mystery - could be fun! Not a long books, so can easily fit into the suggested reading framework...

I am just finishing up Project Hail Mary, so I won't be submitting that one again. It was a really fun, quite cinematic page-turner for anyone interested in the genre. I also snuck in book one of The Witcher series, which was also a quick read, and quite good. Looks like I have time to sneak another quick one in before the next cycle, at which point I was get going on whatever we choose this time around.

I am just finishing up Project Hail Mary, so I won't be submitting that one again. It was a really fun, quite cinematic page-turner for anyone interested in the genre.
I was gonna say, I kinda just wanna nominate that one again on your behalf.

A system of cells interlinked
I was gonna say, I kinda just wanna nominate that one again on your behalf.
For the record, I am fine with people nominating and choosing books I have already read - I will just read other books until discussion them, then join in the fun! My noms will always be books I haven't read, though.

My nomination for March is Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty.

From Goodreads...

A space adventure set on a lone ship where the clones of a murdered crew must find their murderer -- before they kill again.

It was not common to awaken in a cloning vat streaked with drying blood.

At least, Maria Arena had never experienced it. She had no memory of how she died. That was also new; before, when she had awakened as a new clone, her first memory was of how she died.

Maria's vat was in the front of six vats, each one holding the clone of a crew member of the starship Dormire, each clone waiting for its previous incarnation to die so it could awaken. And Maria wasn't the only one to die recently...

Sci fi mixed with a murder mystery - could be fun! Not a long books, so can easily fit into the suggested reading framework...

I am just finishing up Project Hail Mary, so I won't be submitting that one again. It was a really fun, quite cinematic page-turner for anyone interested in the genre. I also snuck in book one of The Witcher series, which was also a quick read, and quite good. Looks like I have time to sneak another quick one in before the next cycle, at which point I was get going on whatever we choose this time around.
Honestly, I may vote for this over my nom. I added 'Hail Mary' to my TBR list and if this doesn't win I'll add this one as well.

****Nominations will close on Thursday the 24th*****

I'm somewhat selfishly going to have to recommend books I have read or am already reading (or already own) for the first few cycles of this, simply because that's way easier for me during a particularly busy period in my life. I say this not as a nudge or threat or anything, but that's probably the only way I can plausibly participate over the next couple of these.

I look forward to things mellowing out so that I can participate regardless of that, though, once I get on the other side of a few major house/real estate things.

Noms are closed. PM me your votes. Voting closes on Monday the 28th.

Just 2 noms? Dang!
Yup.....

The Adventure Starts Here!
I was going to read The Midnight Library soon anyway, so I started it today, whether it's our March entry or not.

Ok, voting is closed and the winner is...

A tie......

I suggest we read both. Midnight Library in March and Six Wakes in April.

Is everyone ok with that?

I'm confused about your tallying. What's with multiple votes? I voted just once, for one book.

Already started reading The Midnight Library, so... yay me!

I'm confused about your tallying. What's with multiple votes? I voted just once, for one book.

Already started reading The Midnight Library, so... yay me!
It's the same system from last month. Since there only two noms, by default your second choice was whichever book you didn't vote for.

It's the same system from last month. Since there only two noms, by default your second choice was whichever book you didn't vote for.
Way to go, keeping it slightly more complicated than it needs to be! By any chance are you an engineer?

Way to go, keeping it slightly more complicated than it needs to be! By any chance are you an engineer?
Just trying to be consistent.

If you look at the votes you'll see it would have been a tie either way.

The real issue here is the lack of nominations imo.