Prometheus - Ridley Scott’s Prequel to Alien

Tools    

I hope they get this one right. great idea to go back to the beginning though then end it...

Anarchist within reason
I'm not sure what to think of this. Im a big fan of the Alien movies (except Resurrection) and I think after the damage the AvP movies have done to the franchise then this kind of movie desperately needs to be good and not just another half arsed money making cop out
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

I just read about this today on aintitcool, and I can't wait! The original Alien is still my favorite, although Aliens was great too.

I'm not sure what to think of this. Im a big fan of the Alien movies (except Resurrection) and I think after the damage the AvP movies have done to the franchise then this kind of movie desperately needs to be good and not just another half arsed money making cop out
What are some of the general complaints about the second AvP film? The first one had potential overall but essentially had good parts only; the second one, I thought, was not bad but had its faults.

I know it's a joke, but the title Alien 0 is wrong for a prequel.

It should be called Alien -1

Ridley Scott On The "Alien" Prequel

Director Ridley Scott ("Gladiator," "Robin Hood") tells MTV News that after years of talking about it, script work on the "Alien" prequel is well underway with a fourth draft currently sitting on his desk.

"It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film... Now it's a matter of, how good can I get the screenplay in the next few weeks so I can get a good ballpark figure of what it will cost. I've already got people working graphically on designs" says Scott.
Surprisingly Scott was more forthcoming than expected about the story which will be set in 2085, 30 years before Ellen Ripley is born, but will have a female lead. Of the story Scott says he's finally going to solve the mystery of a key scene in the 1979 original.

"It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle - there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair... I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were." says Scott.
For those who don't remember or have never seen Scott's original, the story followed the human crew of the starship Nostromo touching down on the unexplored planet LV-426 to investigate a signal. They come upon a crashed spacecraft containing the fossilised remains of the pilot (the Space Jockey) and a vast cargo hold full of alien eggs. Despite being from an obviously different alien species to the titular xenomorphs, the Space Jockey's origins are never explored or really talked about onscreen outside of that scene.

Scott adds the film's 'company' won't be the Weyland-Yutani company yet - just Weyland. Also the story will deal with their early attempts at terraforming planets.

Scott says that he'll likely have to redesign the creatures
"I think, therefore, I have to design - or redesign - earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger. I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out."
Release date wise, Scott says "we're hoping to have it in theaters in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012."

Source: Dark Horizons

Ridley Scott Confirms Two 3D Untitled Alien Prequel Films

Early this week, Ridley Scott revealed some important details about his upcoming Untitled Alien Prequel, which you can read here. Now, with the director out promoting his latest adventure Robin Hood, more information has surfaced in regards to the film. Scott confirmed to Collider what art director Roger Christian told us back in March: The Untitled Alien Prequel will be shot in 3D. Not only that, the director has not one, but two prequels planned in continuing on with this long running 20th Century Fox franchise. This is what the director had to say about the 3D:

"Of course, it'll be 3D. I could have converted Robin Hood. They'd said last October, I could have squeezed it under the hammer and got it in as a 3D version of Robin Hood."
About the number of new Alien Prequel films he has planned, Ridley Scott replied:

"It'll be two. It'll be prequel one and two. Then Alien 1. At the moment I'm just trying to get the first one out."
To read more from this interview, be sure to check out the entire story on Collider.

Untitled Alien Prequel
is in development . The film is directed by Ridley Scott.

Source: Movieweb

I would bet, that Weyland has created the aliens by accident. It`s always something like this.
Are the alien and predator stories/timelines treated as the same or separate? Because this idea would counter the alien's existence before this point, correct?

i want to know whats with the 'space jockey' and i cant wait, its gonna be awesome as it sounds like Ridley Scotts excited to do it and there is a sence of freedom as its a prequel and i hope H.R Giger is involved as he stuff is weard (you just need to look at some of his stuff)

Sir Ridley says the Alien prequel will be filmed in 3D and use more advanced cameras than Jim used on Avatar.

Also, Sir Ridley says he would like to do two sequels.
Fourth draft of script is complete, but more rewrites will occur. Most likely even through filming, as Captain Redbeard likes to make it up on the set.

Sounds like lots of fun!

Ridley Scott Talks ‘Alien’ Prequel Details

Esteemed filmmaker Ridley Scott spoke to attendees at this year’s Hero Complex Film Festival in Los Angeles about a variety of subjects – most importantly, his upcoming 3D Alien prequels.

It was previously reported that there would be two 3D prequels to Alien and that the focus of the films would be on “The Space Jockey” seen briefly in the 1979 sci-fi/horror classic. Scott confirmed this early report and expressed astonishment that the character’s backstory had not yet been explored on film before now, since its appearance was so memorable.

Scott went on to reveal that Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) had written a screenplay for the first film and that pre-production had begun on both projects. He added that both prequels would take place LONG before the events of Alien (he previously stated that it was set 30 years earlier, which may still be the case), so that they could encompass a good deal of history about “The Space Jockey” and its deadly encounter with the Aliens.

Will the history of “The Space Jockey” be similar to Mark Verheiden’s comics in the ’90s – which portrayed them as deadly warriors who were prepped to destroy humanity once they had defeated the Aliens? Or will the film treat them as something else entirely? Scott was mum on the matter but did mention that once moviegoers learned about the creature’s encounter with the iconic acid-bleeding monsters, they would be intrigued to learn just why it (he?) was on the Alien planet in the first place.

Scott also dove into some more general details, mentioning how he had already done a good deal of underwater research for the films. He rounded out the Alien prequels talk with the news that the films would indeed address some of the practicalities of outer space colonization, including the issues of terra forming, the nature of light speed, and humanity’s ability to actually leave Earth.

The first Alien prequel will likely arrive in regular and 3D theaters in the U.S. by late 2011, with the second film following in 2012.

Source: Screenrant

So a movie about a time period before Ripley came into the picture is doomed without Ripley?

Yeah, right.

Ok so, using the above axiom for film quality, Alien Resurrection is a good film? That had multiple Ripleys, and it seemed pretty doomed to me...

I have always been interesting in the mysterious, giant alien race that we only catch glimpses of in the original Alien. I would be interested in seeing a film that covered the events leading up to the scuttling of the alien ship on LV-426.
First off, I agree that the film is not doomed, due to the absence of Ripley.

</br> However, I would like to know what made Alien Resurrection, so "bad" in your eyes. I feel, all to often, people jump on the "sequels are bad" bandwagon because it's the "cool" thing to do. I'm not saying it was great, nor that it is my favorite film (of the trilogy). In fact, I last saw the trilogy, my junior year in college, when I purchased the box set; so it was nearly 5 years ago. I don't remember watching the movie and being as memorized as I was when I was a little boy and saw the original for the first time, but I certainly don't remember watching Alien Resurrection, and thinking to myself, &quot;this is crap&quot;.

What are some of the general complaints about the second AvP film? The first one had potential overall but essentially had good parts only; the second one, I thought, was not bad but had its faults.

I agree that the first movie looked like it actually had potential, unfortunately it never developed into a good movie.

For the second one, I just lowered my expectations; if you take it for what it is, "just a gore-fest" you can enjoy the movie.

I think it was a smart move moving from PG-13, to Rated R in the second. I absolutely HATE this stupid rating system. SOOOOO many movies in my life-time have been thwarted by the PG13 label, simply because studios want to market to the largest possible audience.

The ONLY promising thing about the AVP series, was the ending to AVP2. In the Alien series, it seems the human race has made a great leap in technology in the first 100+- years of the 21st century, I was hoping they would tie that leap into what humans have learned from the Predator weapon they acquired in the AVP2 ending...unfortunately, it seem they are going a different way in AVP3.

What the AVP franchise needs, is to get away from from PG13 ratings, and a healthy dose of substance + lore. Unfortunately studios only see it as a cash-cow; thankfully it's a rapidly dwindling cash cow.

I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere around here, so I'll go ahead and post the whole thing.

Scott's 'Alien' prequel becomes 'Prometheus'

Ridley Scott's next movie Prometheus has been confirmed for worldwide release on March 9, 2012, 20th Century Fox has announced.

The project, which was initially conceived as an Alien prequel, will now instead be an "original science fiction epic" scripted by Jon Spaihts and Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof.

Explaining the evolution of the movie, Scott said: "While Alien was indeed the jumping-off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place.

"The keen fan will recognise strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart."

Lindelof added that working alongside Scott is "a dream come true".

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie," Lindelof said. "It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects."

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo actress Noomi Rapace will lead the cast of Prometheus as scientist Elizabeth Shaw. The rest of the cast are expected to be announced soon. Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender have recently been rumoured for roles.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...rometheus.html

Are the Alien fans happier with this or would you rather have a 'straight' Alien prequel? What odds that an Alien prequel goes ahead anyway, now that the idea's been out there a while and accepted?

Can't wait for this. Alien and Aliens were terrific sci-fi films.