A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Plenty of other authors waiting to be adapted. Plenty of King stuff already adapted. He's prolific, but he's not the Golden Goose.

Although he's made a couple of clunkers, I still consider myself a West fan. Whatever his shortcomings are supposed to be, they're not egregious enough to keep me from enjoying the films of his that I do like.
I think West is a good director. The only thing that's kept his films from being great this far is the scripts. It's the same with X which hovers at the brink of being good. The directing and the cast are great but the story itself really isn't.

As I scroll through the last 3 months of Horrorcram, it looks like almost nobody saw or at least had anything to say about Ti West's X.
Is no one interested?
Just curious, I find this odd.
I haven't seen it yet, but I might check it out once I'm able to.

Plenty of other authors waiting to be adapted. Plenty of King stuff already adapted. He's prolific, but he's not the Golden Goose.

But he's not both. He's written a lot of garbage. That stated, he's written some tight short stories which could work in an anthology or which could be expanded into a feature.

But he's not both. He's written a lot of garbage. That stated, he's written some tight short stories which could work in an anthology or which could be expanded into a feature.
Well, I meant why not keep adapting King, while also trying out newer writers while they do so.

Victim of The Night
Well, now instead of the constant teasing of a Nosferatu remake, I'd like to see Eggers do a Viy remake.
Funny, I feel like Eggers would ruin Viy, or at least take all the fun out of it. Guy's so serious.
"I hate The Witch". Wah.
Viy, to my way of thinking, is a prequel to Evil Dead, so maybe Sam Raimi should do the remake, provided you don't give him a big-budget so he has to use practical effects.

Victim of The Night
It’s West’s best film and makes me forgive him of his trespasses. Mia Goth is phenomenal, as always.
Ok, that was pretty much my take too. Thanks for playing.

Victim of The Night
I assume it hasn't hit streaming yet? I don't go to theatres super often these days and my most recent trips were for Ambulance and The Northman. I suspect there are others in a similar boat.
It's been streaming for a while, though I had to buy it. My friends were able to rent it a few weeks ago but then it went back to purchase only. There were enough of us we didn't mind paying $20 combined. Still, I would wait til stream, it's worth the wait.
Wish I had seen it in the theater as I had intended.

Victim of The Night
I am very much interested, so I was pleased to read your glowing review the other day.
Although he's made a couple of clunkers, I still consider myself a West fan. Whatever his shortcomings are supposed to be, they're not egregious enough to keep me from enjoying the films of his that I do like.
And I've also liked Goth in everything I've seen. Here's hoping that Shia isn't ruining her life.

But yeah, this isn't the film that's going to get me to a theater for the first time, so I'm waiting to stream.
Yeah, I would say he got over whatever was holding him back with this one.
Funny, I didn't know any of these actors. Never heard of Mia Goth, never seen Brittany Snow, no idea who Kid Cudi is, but they were all aces. Goth is the centerpiece but Cudi is totally convincing and Snow is just great.
I actually DO wish I'd gone to the theater for this.

Victim of The Night
I think West is a good director. The only thing that's kept his films from being great this far is the scripts. It's the same with X which hovers at the brink of being good. The directing and the cast are great but the story itself really isn't.
Oh wow. I'm shocked to hear you say that.
I would say the script was excellent. Really, really strong.

Yeah, I would say he got over whatever was holding him back with this one.
Funny, I didn't know any of these actors. Never heard of Mia Goth, never seen Brittany Snow, no idea who Kid Cudi is, but they were all aces. Goth is the centerpiece but Cudi is totally convincing and Snow is just great.
I actually DO wish I'd gone to the theater for this.
Goth is good in A Cure for Wellness and the Suspiria remake. I'm not a fan of the latter movie, but her peformance is one of the few things I actually like about it.

Kid Cudi is in Bill & Ted Face the Music, but his role is more of a joke cameo. But the movie is extremely likable and he's not bad in it.

Goth is good in A Cure for Wellness and the Suspiria remake. I'm not a fan of the latter movie, but her peformance is one of the few things I actually like about it.

Kid Cudi is in Bill & Ted Face the Music, but his role is more of a joke cameo. But the movie is extremely likable and he's not bad in it.
She’s also great in Nymphomaniac 2 and Emma. Haven’t seen High Life yet but I’ll guess she is similarly fantastic. Such an off kilter but hypnotic presence.

Kid Cudi is also among the most successful rappers of his generation. But most importantly, he took over as the Comedy Bang Bang series band leader when Reggie Watts left.

She’s also great in Nymphomaniac 2 and Emma. Haven’t seen High Life yet but I’ll guess she is similarly fantastic. Such an off kilter but hypnotic presence.
I found High Life pretty annoying but I don't remember taking issue with her peformance.

A system of cells interlinked
As I scroll through the last 3 months of Horrorcram, it looks like almost nobody saw or at least had anything to say about Ti West's X.
Is no one interested?
Just curious, I find this odd.
Just watched this last night! I thought it was excellent. The only other West film I have seen is House of the Devil, which I also enjoyed.

Funny, I feel like Eggers would ruin Viy, or at least take all the fun out of it. Guy's so serious.
"I hate The Witch". Wah.
Viy, to my way of thinking, is a prequel to Evil Dead, so maybe Sam Raimi should do the remake, provided you don't give him a big-budget so he has to use practical effects.

Presumably in full Lighthouse mode. He might need William Dafoe to play all of the roles though to get the right energy.

Though I said, Viy, I really did mean any Russian folklore movie. Now that you say it though, given how long a hiatus it's been for Sam Raimi, yeah, actually, that really would be a good match for the energy Viy had.

Wrt Eggers and his The VVitch, the actual explanation in the interview read like (mainly because it was explicitly stated), was that when he sees it, he just sees all the omissions of things that he wanted to bring to the screen but wasn't able to. A bit like a painter who paints from a subject, and while we all look at the final results and are impressed by them, they can compare the results to the original subject and only see what they failed to accomplish. So, I'm curious what those omissions were, because that movie seemed complete to me (even which aspects of the film did he feel like he fell short. Because my inclination is to guess he meant showing more of the witches, which seems like a less should be more in this case. If he meant specific details in particular shots... then okay, maybe. Maybe there were social dynamics he felt he didn't know how to work into the script or the flow of the script. Did he just really want to work more into the initiation ritual, namely the kissing of Satan's butt cheek, a la, Haxan? I don't know. I am, like I said, curious.)

Wrt to X, yeah, I'm also in the group waiting for it to stream at a rental price that isn't more than the movie theater ticket.

I found High Life pretty annoying but I don't remember taking issue with her peformance.

I need to rewatch High Life. It was my first Claire Denis film, and I suspect after seeing 35 Shots of Rum and Beau Travail, that it wasn't a good first Claire Denis film for someone to be exposed to her.

I need to rewatch High Life. It was my first Claire Denis film, and I suspect after seeing 35 Shots of Rum and Beau Travail, that it wasn't a good first Claire Denis film for someone to be exposed to her.
I made the mistake of seeing it in a theater, which meant I was stranded there with my insufficient attention span. So I was pretty much zoned out for the second half of the film. Had I known what I was in for I would've saved it for a home viewing where I could digest it at my own pace.