The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
There were people who couldn't make a Top 25 when there were NO restrictions, when every and any movie ever made was eligible during the Top 100 Refresh. They still couldn't think of 25. Unless you have seen less than twenty-five films total in your lifetime that is absolutely unacceptable. If I had been running that list I would have rejected their ballots.
What gets me is that...this is a movie forum. Surely having even slightly more of an interest in movies than the average person is what draws one here in the first place, and to still struggle to even list 25 titles even after being given several months to do so...I don't know. Maybe permitting partial ballots at all was a mistake.

I think the reason that some are submitting partial list is: people are second guessing themselves as to what is and isn't comedy...and as to...what is and isn't funny. There's been a number of post along those lines since the start of this thread and I've questioned those aspects myself.

Some movies one finds funny are also cheap & crappy movies, so some might not feel those types of films are worthy of a vote. Then the really good 'comedies' often don't seem funny and so also aren't considered for a ballot vote.

Point in case, I seen Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors last night, I was blown away by the craftsmanship of Allen's writing and his style of personal directing. It was funny in parts, but that comedy came out of real life type situations and so in a way didn't feel like a usual 'comedy' that's going for just laughs. To me the film is first and foremost a drama and a damn good one.

So do I include it on my list as I was impressed by the film? But then again, I didn't laugh myself silly so is it a top comedy? Decisions, decisions. I think that's the dilemma some MoFos are having.

As far as I remember I'm the only person (outside of Yods and those that are running the countdown) that's talked about possibly remitting a partial list so do please excuse if some of the comments are feeling somewhat personal.

You know I always thought these community lists were about inclusion but it would appear I was wrong. Anyways, y'all keep concerning yourselves about other people's ballots and I'll just forget about bothering to send one in for this - after all I'd hate to upset anyone by sending one in with .... shock, horror .... perhaps only 18 or 23 films on it. Way to go on encouraging participation!

As far as I remember I'm the only person (outside of Yods and those that are running the countdown) that's talked about possibly remitting a partial list so do please excuse if some of the comments are feeling somewhat personal.

You know I always thought these community lists were about inclusion but it would appear I was wrong. Anyways, y'all keep concerning yourselves about other people's ballots and I'll just forget about bothering to send one in for this - after all I'd hate to upset anyone by sending one in with .... shock, horror .... perhaps only 18 or 23 films on it. Way to go on encouraging participation!
Well, if you're that humorless it probably wasn't gonna be much of a list, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's like there's this nefarious plan to keep people in a constant state of confusion and being angry so others can profit from it. Crazy.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Is Harlem Nights on anyone else's radar?

I have two comedy fantasies that may fall off as I'm finding it difficult to square the idea that these may be more in the fantasy camp than comedy (yeah, yeah, I know). If I can find a copy/stream of Haunted Honeymoon, then that might creep higher up my current list. Two weeks ago I gave Death to Smoochy another run but, sadly, that purple dino got cut from the cut.

OBVIOUSLY Howard the Duck is a contender here. I'm disappointed that I've not seen more interest in this one.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think your site notice should include replacing the movie reel with Weird Al's head illustration from UHF. Dang. Another movie i completely forgot about.

I think your site notice should include replacing the movie reel with Weird Al's head illustration from UHF. Dang. Another movie i completely forgot about.

Masterpiece

Submitted my ballot before Yoda starts PMing me.

It got tough when comparing movies that I thought were funnier vs what I thought was a better overall movie. And creativity ended up weighing a lot, especially at the bottom half of the list. It hurt to leave some favorites off but I think I'm happy with it overall.

IKR?
(i'm replying to a post that will likely not be above mine by the time anyone reads this, which is kinda great considering the thread topic. At least to me!)

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get to watching anymore films for this countdown. Time to start chipping away at my list. I need to cultivate a nice balance of satire, laugh out loud, and the zany!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."