The Northman (from the director of The VVitch and The Lighthouse)

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Just got back. I knew I'd like this movie the moment Ethan Hawke started acting like a dog.

Suspect's Reviews

Insane filmmaking. I love how Eggers can blend historical authenticity with more mythological aspects in a way that doesn't diminish one or the other. Like, the way he presents things like sorcery and the supernatural (with seriousness and as having meaningful consequences) while also showing something like a mountainside village with as much attention to accurate historical detail as possible made me feel like I was getting into the headspace of these people as a whole. The characters believe in what they believe with a real obsession, so we are made to as well.

what do u mean ethan hawke acting like a dog? 🤔

Literal not figurative. Line between weird, gritty, pagan, and method acting workshop potentially crossed.

It's at least somewhat consistent with the actual vikings, who didn't have our clear distinction between the real world and the mythic one. It's also worth noting that the norse version of polytheism didn't have a happy ending, since it was assumed that the world would run down and end. Warriors could end up fighting, getting wounded and recovering to fight again, as well as drinking a lot. It wasn't a world view that had much solace.

Warriors could end up fighting, getting wounded and recovering to fight again, as well as drinking a lot. It wasn't a world view that had much solace.
Sounds like the present situation to me.

Y'all do realize there is an older film with the same story.

It is an adaptation of the Danish legend of prince Amleth, drawing upon the 12th-century works of Saxo Grammaticus, which was also the inspiration for Shakespeare's Hamlet.

It's called "The Prince of Jutland".. I watched it long ago when I was on a Christian Bale binge.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I had been on the fence about this, but I enjoyed The Lighthouse and the Eggers interview on Maron sold me on the prospect.

This was nothing close to the mood and sense of mystique his previous film established. It felt like any other sort of period film like this that has been done before. When you start with Ethan “likes to get wet” Hawke as some conquering king, I can already feel the rope slipping through my hand. Nicole Kidman as great as she was, also presents an issue with how her face is moving towards the bottom of the uncanny valley.

There were bright spots, but for Eggers to be praised as much as he is after 2 movies, this feels like a letdown. He himself said how much he tries to be as historically accurate in the details, because it makes the planning and production easier. That’s great, but if it’s not used to create something new and engaging, what’s the point? What part of his first big budget film felt extraordinary?

Also, casting Eric Northman as the Northman cannot be unheard.

How did this movie get into my Netflix Q? So dreadful. Lasted maybe 10 minutes.
I loved it but I fully understand why it’s not your cup of tea. Netflix has been ridiculous with suggestions recently, it suggests things to me that I’d never watch. In terms of the Q — maybe you did it by accident.