Better Call Saul...whatcha think?

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Double episode! Both halves of this ongoing story are so intensely compelling. But I appreciate that they break up the incredible tension of the Salamanca story with the great humor of the Saul Goodman half of things. Gonna be sad to see this show end.

That was an excellent start to the final season, but it left me confused about the state of the rivalry between Gus and the Salamancas. This Reddit post provides a good explanation:

WARNING: spoilers below
Everyone confused about the whole Nacho and Gus/Cartel plot, pretty sure this was the plan:

-Gus wanted Nacho to think he was safe, when Gus was actually planning on icing Nacho from the beginning, which is why he had the lookout to make sure Nacho didn’t run away.

-Mike knew Gus was probably planning to kill Nacho but still went along with orders and planted the Motel number in Nacho’s safe, knowing the cartel would find it and because it was in the safe they wouldn’t suspect anything.

-Mike took Nacho’s dad’s ID out of the safe because he didn’t want his dad involved in it.

-Gus wanted Mike to plant the number in the safe cause he wants the cartel to find and kill Nacho themselves. If Gus killed Nacho, it would just raise more questions and the cartel would start suspecting that there’s someone else on the inside who knows everything.

-The problem is that the cartel wanted Nacho alive to find out who he was working for, which is why Nacho was given very specific instructions to shoot anyone who comes through that door with no hesitation. Gus was planning on a shootout occurring where the cartel would have no choice but to kill Nacho.

-Gus now thinks he is f***ed because not only is Nacho fully on the run and the original plan went to shit, the cartel and Lalo are now looking for him and if either of them catch him, he’s afraid Nacho will rat him out, so Gus wanted to threaten Nacho’s dad cause he knew it would be the only way to bring Nacho to him.

That was an excellent start to the final season, but it left me confused about the state of the rivalry between Gus and the Salamancas. This Reddit post provides a good explanation:

Everyone confused about the whole Nacho and Gus/Cartel plot, pretty sure this was the plan:

-Gus wanted Nacho to think he was safe, when Gus was actually planning on icing Nacho from the beginning, which is why he had the lookout to make sure Nacho didn’t run away.

-Mike knew Gus was probably planning to kill Nacho but still went along with orders and planted the Motel number in Nacho’s safe, knowing the cartel would find it and because it was in the safe they wouldn’t suspect anything.

-Mike took Nacho’s dad’s ID out of the safe because he didn’t want his dad involved in it.

-Gus wanted Mike to plant the number in the safe cause he wants the cartel to find and kill Nacho themselves. If Gus killed Nacho, it would just raise more questions and the cartel would start suspecting that there’s someone else on the inside who knows everything.

-The problem is that the cartel wanted Nacho alive to find out who he was working for, which is why Nacho was given very specific instructions to shoot anyone who comes through that door with no hesitation. Gus was planning on a shootout occurring where the cartel would have no choice but to kill Nacho.

-Gus now thinks he is f***ed because not only is Nacho fully on the run and the original plan went to shit, the cartel and Lalo are now looking for him and if either of them catch him, he’s afraid Nacho will rat him out, so Gus wanted to threaten Nacho’s dad cause he knew it would be the only way to bring Nacho to him.
I love Mike’s angle on all this.

He wants Nacho home safe because Nacho did everything he was supposed to but Gus won’t listen to him. So Mike goes along with cracking the safe. And now that they know the cartel wants Nacho alive Mike’s using that to try to again sway Gus again into bringing Nacho home. But it’s backfiring because Gus now wants to use the dad.

I love Mike’s angle on all this.

He wants Nacho home safe because Nacho did everything he was supposed to but Gus won’t listen to him. So Mike goes along with cracking the safe. And now that they know the cartel wants Nacho alive Mike’s using that to try to again sway Gus again into bringing Nacho home. But it’s backfiring because Gus now wants to use the dad.
Same here, although I'm not 100% sure why
Mike doesn't want to involve his dad. Is it simply because he doesn't think that's necessary? Or, is it because he thinks if Gus did that, it would play out like the situation that got his own son killed?

Same here, although I'm not 100% sure why
Mike doesn't want to involve his dad. Is it simply because he doesn't think that's necessary? Or, is it because he thinks if Gus did that, it would play out like the situation that got his own son killed?
Probably because his dad’s an innocent. He’s not “in the game” to quote The Wire. And if Gus goes after Nacho’s dad whats to stop Gus from going after Mike’s granddaughter if Mike gets out of line in the future?

Looking forward to watching Season 6. Since I've been taking it easy in my recovery from a recent illness, for some reason I haven't felt much like watching movies! It started with me watching 1959's Ben-Hur in the hospital. I enjoyed the film as a kid, but outside of the chariot race, this time it was a hugely boring 3-1/2 hours. Then watching The Way We Were (1973) with Streisand and Redford put me off movies for awhile.

Consequently I was looking for good series. Watched "Saul", seasons 3-5. The show is incredibly well done. The writing by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould is some of the best ever on TV. The acting, cinematography, and directing are phenomenal. I particularly am impressed by the charisma of Lalo Salamanca (Tony Dalton). The guy is mesmerizing. Also realized that Odenkirk has a much wider range than I'd thought. And Jonathan Banks ain't too shabby as "Mike" either.

Then we went back and re-watched all of Breaking Bad. Another outstanding series written by Vince Gilligan.

So with all that, we're eagerly anticipating Season 6 of "Saul". Should be a barn burner...

Final season. Somehow, I waited too long for it to come out, and now I don't fell the same about watching it, I don't have the willingness. I'll wait for the final episode and get the strength to watch everything in one day, the only way I conceive watching the thing.

Final season. Somehow, I waited too long for it to come out, and now I don't fell the same about watching it, I don't have the willingness. I'll wait for the final episode and get the strength to watch everything in one day, the only way I conceive watching the thing.
I feel the same about the whole thing. I did start it at some point, but it never gripped me - that despite the fact I enjoy postmodern non-actiony shows. The Atlantic had a story just a few days ago about the demise of elite TV like BCS, arguing that it gets boring/too monotonous. I don’t ever really feel that way with regards to any so-called “elite” shows, and I certainly didn’t expect to feel that way about BCS (then again, the writer of that story says he felt that way about BB itself), but that did make me put it off yet again.

A system of cells interlinked
Fantastic first two episodes. Looks like the show will finish up well. I will probably re-watch the entire thing after all is said and done, as I barely recall the opening seasons at this point.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Fantastic first two episodes. Looks like the show will finish up well. I will probably re-watch the entire thing after all is said and done, as I barely recall the opening seasons at this point.
I'm sure we'll do the same thing here. I recently rewatched all of "Breaking Bad" while I waited for this season of BCS to start. Gosh, that whole show stands up so well over time. I'm certain BCS will do just as well.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm sure we'll do the same thing here. I recently rewatched all of "Breaking Bad" while I waited for this season of BCS to start. Gosh, that whole show stands up so well over time. I'm certain BCS will do just as well.
Both shows are classics!

I agree with every word in this post.

Well hell. I can understand not wanting to
drag it out but I didn't think that particular arc would wrap up that quickly. Plus after all that Nacho was going through I was feeling really resentful that they were going to kill him off. I mean, they did give his character a good sendoff and all. Still not sure how I feel about it. Now it's time to agonize over Kim's fate.

Step aside, Game of Thrones. An even better "it was me" moment has arrived. While it was an amazing episode and surprise, I'll miss having Nacho around. Too bad he and his dad didn't make their escape.

Who is Alvarez, by the way? Has he come up before?

I never expected a happy ending for Nacho but of all the ways I thought he would go, that wasn't it. I also don't know how I feel about it yet.

When I alluded to them
dragging out Nacho's arc I meant this season's final run of episodes. When put in proper context starting with how he debuted as one of Tuco's faithful minions, I think the character had one of the finest and most nuanced trajectories of all time. But then I suppose we should expect nothing less from Vince Gilligan. I hope Michael Mando gets some Emmy love come September.

It's a table setting episode, but an enjoyable one nonetheless. Let's hope Rhea Seehorn directs more because she did a great job.

The prank with Wendy the prostitute was classic Jimmy. It was also nice to see the spa again.

Was surprised to see Rhea as director but I agree she did a very good job. You have to have a lot of confidence in somebody to give them their first real directorial job at this stage of the game. Favorite scene was
Kim and Mikes little chat and I never get tired of hearing "Cucumber water is for customers only"