Is Resident Evil: Afterlife a comedy?

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by John McClane
Watching Resident Evil: Afterlife. This is a comedy, right? Because I’m
The real question is whether or not it's funnier than Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Originally Posted by John McClane
One thing I’ll give the RE franchise is their direct sequelness. Back to back they make for an interesting long form.
I like how Extinction posits that the T-virus dries up every body of water and turns the whole world into a desert and it's followed up by Afterlife, a film that revolves around a boat.

The entire Resident Evil franchise is fascinating to me. It's this big multi-movie mythology, with all these entries and pretty good production values, that still manages to have almost no role in the popular culture and doesn't even do especially well at the box office. Really Exhibit A in showing how the economics of the industry have changed. There's nothing about the reception to the first or second film that would allow you to predict that it would become a franchise.

I'd say they're more like cult classics at this point (they certainly inspire the kind of spirited defences that cult classics tend to do - just look at the Letterboxd page for Retribution). The really interesting thing is how they're based off videogames but the games' fans seem to hate them for diverging so wildly from the established canon (most obviously by inventing a whole new protagonist while the games' protagonists are given supporting roles), yet it also manages to be the most successful live-action videogame movie franchise by far (every other one seems to flame out after two entries but this one got to six).

You ready? You look ready.
I think they are perfect examples of what not to do with video game movies, but that aside they are certainly enjoyable if you surrender every ounce of reason when watching them.

It’s interesting to see how long The Matrix effect held on in the industry because the amount of bullet time in Afterlife was unreal.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I think if you're going to call it an example of how not to do video game movies then you actually need a standard of how to do video game movies, which is tough because it's a genre that's infamous for producing almost universally bad movies.