Tales of Karma

Tools    

Karma is a fascinating subject.
Some feel it's a real part of spirituality or a cosmic balance, others feel it's only a matter of perception.

Do you have any real-life tales of Karma or personal experiences?

Are there any movies that deal with tales of Karma?

Some feel it's real part of spirituality or a cosmic balance, others feel it's only a matter of perception.

Do you have any real-life tales of Karma or personal experiences?

Are there any movies that deal with tales of Karma?

PLENTY. I'm QUEEN of karma tales. Want me to scare you?

Some feel it's a real part of spirituality or a cosmic balance, others feel it's only a matter of perception.
Interesting subject. I'd say if there's some kind of: cosmic force/god/super natural being or even a Q out there somewhere, then sure Karma would be their thing...and maybe it's like a crap game that they play on us mere mortals...Some times you do bad or good, and then sometimes Karma rewards or punishes you...then other times you get off scot-free.

Interesting subject. I'd say if there's some kind of: cosmic force/god/super natural being or even a Q out there somewhere, then sure Karma would be their thing...and maybe it's like a crap game that they play on us mere mortals...Some times you do bad or good, and then sometimes Karma rewards or punishes you...then other times you get off scot-free.
It does seem rather random... and then other times it doesn't.

One thing I believe about Karma is that, in more times than not, it comes back to you from somewhere other than where you directed your good or ill actions or intentions. In other words, the good you do may never be reciprocated by the person you did it for, but you will get good back at some point and from some source that is a result of your initial good deed - this would make Karma very difficult to prove, track or pin down.

Not sure if this falls under your karmic tales, but last week, an old woman (customer) thought it hilarious to throw a bag of hard throat lozenges in my face, with force. Luckily I have fast reactions and punched it away. She giggled like an idiot and didn't bother apologising.

Just saw her again now, she bought the same lozenges, but this time wanted to know my history. I lied about all of it. Bitch was talking so much she left her ID behind. So.....should I be a good girl and call the cops, telling them I've got her card or should I just chuck it and let her go through the pain in the arse of getting a new one?.......hmmm... decisions decisions...

On the way to watch my sports team last week in a hugely important cup game, I found a wallet outside the supermarket. Inside it, it had £15 in (about $20). I handed it in at the counter. Then my train got cancelled, I missed the match and we lost anyway.

So Karma can go fck itself.

Unregistered User
Not sure if this falls under your karmic tales, but last week, an old woman (customer) thought it hilarious to throw a bag of hard throat lozenges in my face, with force. Luckily I have fast reactions and punched it away. She giggled like an idiot and didn't bother apologising.

Just saw her again now, she bought the same lozenges, but this time wanted to know my history. I lied about all of it. Bitch was talking so much she left her ID behind. So.....should I be a good girl and call the cops, telling them I've got her card or should I just chuck it and let her go through the pain in the arse of getting a new one?.......hmmm... decisions decisions...

Or....... give it a while, then report it.
ie wait until she's cancelled it then she can get it back.

Or....... give it a while, then report it.
ie wait until she's cancelled it then she can get it back.
She thought it very entertaining to throw bags of hard candy at my face. It's only fair I get my fun imagining her looking frantically for that thing.

She thought it very entertaining to throw bags of hard candy at my face. It's only fair I get my fun imagining her looking frantically for that thing.
Cat - my suggestion (should you choose to accept it) is take the high road.

I've kind of got this theory that Karma becomes even more powerful when you do good to someone who wronged you.

Jesus kind of hints at this in the NT when he talks about...
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."
Luke 6:32

He speaks of rewards (karma?) being far greater by taking the higher, but more difficult road of doing good to your enemies.

Cat - my suggestion (should you choose to accept it) is take the high road.

I've kind of got this theory that Karma becomes even more powerful when you do good to someone who wronged you.

I don't believe that at all.

Sometimes, someone's an agent. And sometimes, that someone is you.

I was with this young woman once and after copious quantities of alcohol we decided to try working our way through..

Apologies. Wrong karma

I definitely do believe in karma though - especially in sushi bars where I've had first hand experience on multiple occasions of seeing 'what goes around comes around'

I don't believe that at all.

Sometimes, someone's an agent. And sometimes, that someone is you.
Well, the theory behind Karma is that what you put out you will get back - it doesn't matter where you direct it. If you do wrong for revenge, then wrong will come back to you from some direction. If you do good, even to someone who wronged you, then good will come back to you (perhaps even in the form of seeing some kind of irony occur for the person who wronged you).

Sometimes revenge becomes a vicious circle - as your revenge becomes someone else's desire for another revenge against you (this is usually the basis for war).

But doing good for this person puts them in your debt (whether they know it or not - if they don't know about it this is karmic debt - the universe now owes you a good in return) and if your positive actions become known to the other person, it can break the cycle of revenge.

And since I'm quoting cliches:
"The best revenge is massive success" - Frank Sinatra

and...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I believe in it in an indirect way... Let's say someone sees this thread and then goes out into a public place where he has interact with others. I think some who are unsure might still be influenced by it, thus modifying their behavior or thoughts. If they do something bad, they might anticipate something bad happening to them. Maybe the "punishment" in the least would be someone worrying about their bad deeds in life?

My creed is to be good because it's the right thing to do; as opposed to hoping for some kind of balance or getting something positive in return. Maybe doing a good deed (I helped a neighbor with his car a few days ago) brings a smile which instantly brings you some joy, and also have a lasting effect, especially with people you see on a regular basis.

I believe in it in an indirect way... Let's say someone sees this thread and then goes out into a public place where he has interact with others. I think some who are unsure might still be influenced by it, thus modifying their behavior or thoughts. If they do something bad, they might anticipate something bad happening to them. Maybe the "punishment" in the least would be someone worrying about their bad deeds in life?

My creed is to be good because it's the right thing to do; as opposed to hoping for some kind of balance or getting something positive in return. Maybe doing a good deed (I helped a neighbor with his car a few days ago) brings a smile which instantly brings you some joy, and also have a lasting effect, especially with people you see on a regular basis.
The concept of Karma is pretty much present in most religions and positive philosophies, using different words of course. On some level, the concept is relatively universal (if that term isn't an oxymoron in itself).

Your last paragraph reminded me of the movie Groundhog Day. Maybe that's a "karmic" movie?
But remember how it only became possible for Bill Murray to escape his entrapment in time when he finally had to want to do good and enjoy doing good for the simple fact that it was the right thing to do and brought joy to those around him.
Yes - I think there is some kind of statement about Karma in that film!