Snapshots of History.

Tools    

New York City?
It was a trick shot?
Good guess, Spookie. And you were the only one willing to take a stab at it.

It was actually shot in downtown Los Angeles (not Hollywood), at 908 S. Broadway. The iconic shot was in a Harold Lloyd film called Safety Last.

I often wondered how the shot was done, so I researched it. Turns out they built a set of the corner of one of the downtown buildings, and placed it on a roof of another building. Then they constructed a tall scaffold for the camera so they could shoot down at Lloyd, capturing the busy Broadway Street down below. Lloyd was actually only 6 feet off the ground with a mattress placed below.

What amazes me about Lloyd is that, due to a demolition accident years before, he was missing his thumb, forefinger, and part of his palm on his right hand. He wore a cosmetic prosthesis to conceal the injury for filming. But he must have developed tremendous strength in the rest of his hand to enable some of his impressive stunts.

Spookie or someone go...

Who is this little girl & what did she ask Fergie at the recent royal wedding?

Don't know, but I'd guess she's not royalty.
Not royalty, but she is the daughter of a famous British pop singer.

I only know this b/c I religiously!
follow Stirchley's fashion thread. And she recently posted that at Princess Eugenie's wedding; Teddy Williams , daughter of Robbie Williams, asked Fergie if she was the Queen.

And even if this is the wrong answer, our @Stirchley is quite relieved that she is not.

This was invented in the 60s for the 'wrong' ( a different) usage. What is it, and who was one of the first renowned people to use it for what became its primary purpose:

You're on the right track, TUS. But it's not exactly footwear.

Is is the 1st foot measuring device in a store? Vaguely remember reading about that one time.

It is indeed the wah wah pedal, as the knowledgeable @Citizen Rules said. Though there were similar effects employed by big band horn players in the 20s, and a similar self designed device from Chet Atkins in the 50s- the first marketable pedal was designed in 1966. Originally meant to be sold for wind instruments, it was later used and modified. for electric guitar, and 'played' with the musician's foot.

Two of the first guitarists to use it were Eric Clapton ( in Cream) and Jimi Hendrix.

Your turn CR.

Frank Zappa was using it in 1967 as well. It's hard to say who first debuted it, but he'd been using the pedal to solo for some time. Of course he never had a hit record then.

What are y'all doing up so late? Go to bed...

~Doc

They're peeling onions, so I'd say they donned the masks to keep their eyes from smarting. Looks like it may be around the time of World War 2.