2018 Movie Challenge

Tools    

1. a foreign language film: Soul Kitchen (2009)
2. an animated film: Kung Fu Panda (2008)
3. a film in the IMDb Top 250: The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
4. a film in the IMDb Bottom 100: Crossroads (2002)
5. an indie film: Good Time (2017)
6. a black and white film: The Glass Menagerie (1950)
7. a film released before 1960: A Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
8. a silent film: The Artist (2011)
9. a film that topped the weekly box office within 2017: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
10. a film with more than 400,000 votes on IMDb: Titanic (1997)
11. a Studio Ghibli film: When Marnie was There (2014)
12. a DC film: Justice League (2017)
13. a Marvel film: Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
14. a film whose main genre is Horror: You're Next (2011)
15. a film whose main genre is Comedy: The Interview (2014)
16. a film whose main genre is Action: John Wick (2014)
17. a film whose main genre is Science Fiction: Arrival (2016)
18. a film whose main genre is Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone (2001)
19. a film whose main genre is Romance: Serendipity (2001)
20. a film whose main genre is Western: The Magnificent 7 (2016)
21. a blaxploitation film: Foxy Brown (1974)
22. a post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic/dystopian film: Divergent (2014)
23. a film in the MoFo Fall of Fame: The Apartment (1960)
24. a Palme d'Or winner: Mommy (2013)
25. a film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture: All About Eve (1950)
26. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay: Get Out (2017)
27. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Score: The Shape of Water (2017)
28. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Cinematography: La La Land (2016)
29. a film included in the National Society of Film Critics' 100 Essential Films list: Before Sunset (2004)
30. a film that is part of the Criterion Collection: Some Like It Hot (1959)
31. a martial arts film: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
32. a Disney or Pixar film: Frozen (2013)
33. a film that is a novel or play adaptation: Little Women (1994)
34. a musical film: The Greatest Showman (2017)
35. a film directed by a woman: The Honor List (2018)
36. a film more than 160 minutes long: Blue is the Warmest Color (2014)
37. a film that has been adapted to or from a TV series: Dear White People (2014)
38. a (neo) noir film: The Big Sleep (1946)
39. a film in which the main character dies: The Quiet Place (2018)
40. a film in which aliens (or other terrestrial species) tries to eliminate mankind: Aliens (1986)
41. a film that doesn't take place on Earth or takes place in an alternate world: Alien (1979)
42. a film that won any type of Academy Award for 2017: Phanthom Thread (2017)
43. a box office flop (made less money that it cost): Jupiter Ascending (2015)
44. a box office wonder (made at least 3 times as much as it cost): Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
45. a film with a budget lower than 1 million: Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
46. a film that is part of a franchise with more than 5 sequels/remakes/reboots: Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
47. a Lars von Trier film: The House that Jack Built (2018)
48. a Alfred Hitchcock film: To Catch a Thief (1955)
49. a Audrey Hepburn film: Wait Until Dark (1967)
50. a James Stewart film: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
51. a film released in 2018: Tomb Raider (2018)
52. a film in theaters:
Black Pather (2018)

Also answers to Jabba
Knocked out another Nightmare mode challenge...

Main Challenge  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare Mode  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leftovers  

Haven't been posting in awhile think I'll join in on this. My only question, can I rewatch a movie for the challenge?

Also answers to Jabba
Haven't been posting in awhile think I'll join in on this. My only question, can I rewatch a movie for the challenge?

You mean something you have already seen before? Sure.

I don't do it for my own version because I wan't to force myself to watch new films for this but there is nothing wrong with that.

Also answers to Jabba
New update. Less than 30 films to go...

Main Challenge  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare Mode  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leftovers  

Also answers to Jabba
Just 9 films to go. Getting closer! How are the rest of you doing?

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Welcome to the human race...
7 by my count. Still using my post at the top of page 2 to keep track, but I'll probably repost once it's done.

Also answers to Jabba
Switched things up a little bit and now I only got 5 films to go! Count down has started...

Main Challenge: Completed  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Just four left for me, a Blaxploitation, a Screenplay Oscar and two Sion Sono films (for the ten by a director one, seen eight by him this year). I haven't actually been watching films for this though i've just watched a lot of films this year.

If you're stuck for choice I'd say The Red Balloon, The Piano or The Lavender Hill Mob.
Like i said i haven't actually been watching films for this, i've just seen a lot and as a result i've knocked out most of the categories. But yeah if i decide to finish this i'll keep those in mind.

Also answers to Jabba
Bumping to say I completed the main challenge and now I only have 2 films to go to complete the nightmare mode!

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Still four. Think after i'm done with the Russian Hall of Fame, i'll watch Putney Swope and Suicide Club. Then all i'll have left is a Screenplay Oscar and one Sion Sono film.

I haven't watched any movies at all in almost 2 months. I think it's pretty apparent that I'm not going to finish this. I will be watching movies again very soon though, since the 17th HOF is starting in a few days.

Watched Suicide Club last night so just one more from Sono and i've finished the ten from one director category which is my last in nightmare mode. Going to watch Putney Swope in the next week or so for the blaxploitation one, then all i'll have left is a Screenplay Oscar Winner which i haven't decided on yet.

Also answers to Jabba
Both challenges completed! I can now focus a bit more on this and on some other stuff I want to watch!

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Also answers to Jabba
Are you gonna do one of these for the start of next year?

Yeah. Some new challenges will replace the current ones to mix things up, but the concept will largely remain the same.

Watched Putney Swope, just have a Screenplay Oscar film to go in the normal challenge, think i'm going to go with The Lavender Hill Mob. Planning on watching The Virgin Psychics soon as my tenth Sono to finish nightmare mode, most likely Sunday.