2018 Movie Challenge

Tools    

Rewatched Pinocchio which means i've finished the 10 Animated Films one: The Breadwinner, Whisper of the Heart, Sleeping Beauty, Coco, Wolf Children, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Winnie The Pooh. My Life As A Zucchini, Early Man, Pinocchio.

Welcome to the human race...
I went to one of those screenings where they played all the Oscar-nominated animated shorts in a row so that was eight right there, but at this point I think it's more challenging to not count them.

EDIT: Another question I had is how exactly to judge which movies can be counted towards the IMDb Top 250 challenge given how much it fluctuates and how titles can disappear from it. I counted Infinity War towards it even though I'm all but certain that it won't be a permanent fixture on the list and I'm sure that the same is going to be true of Deadpool 2, so I wonder how that gets determined.

Also answers to Jabba
@Iroquois you can count them if they are in the IMDb top 250 even if they drop later on. Though I would consider it a better practice to go for films that you know are gonna stay there. Infinity War is not leaving the top 250 though. It's on #16 after 350k votes which means it will still be in the top 30 or so in the worst case scenario.

Also, the second challenge of the Nightmare mode does not include short films, just the feature length movies nominated for best picture. There is even a list of them included in the OP.

Update on my end.

Main Challenge  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare Mode  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leftovers  

Yeah, I figured that was true enough of the 250, it's just that I've already seen most of the permanent fixtures on that list so I'm just trying to be practical about it. Good to know that temporary entries are fair game, though I'll try not to depend on them either.

Does this mean that short films shouldn't be counted towards the "watch 10 animated films" category anyway (or any others for that matter)? I was just mentioning Oscar nominations because that's the reason I ended up watching eight such films in a row.

Also answers to Jabba
@Iroquois I never made the list having short films in mind. It would kind of feel like cheating to use them here. It's no big deal if you want to use them for some tough category, but that's your call entirely. For instance I watched an award winning documentary (Prelude to War) recently, that could fit in many categories in Nightmare mode. I chose not to use it though because it just didn't feel right for me.

That's what I figured. While I wouldn't consider it "cheating" to include them, I do think that deliberately disregarding them only adds to the challenge.

Also answers to Jabba
Update since it's been a while. Been focusing a lot on Nightmare Mode.
Main Challenge  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare Mode  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leftovers  

Also answers to Jabba
I was in a bit of a slump in my movie-watching last month and only managed to watch a handful of stuff, but I still managed to knock out a nightmare mode challenge.

Anybody want to share their progress?

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

I think I might be the only other person who's still updating their progress.

Also answers to Jabba
Throwing another update...

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Also answers to Jabba
Time for a new update...

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

Nice idea for a thread.

Pretty sure I've watched all these in 2018 apart from Dunkirk:

1. a foreign language film. [Sword of Doom]
2. an animated film. [The Lion King]
3. a film in the IMDb Top 250. [Come and See]
4. a film in the IMDb Bottom 100. ?
5. an indie film. [Little Miss Sunshine]
6. a black and white film. [Gook]
7. a film released before 1960. [Kiss me Deadly]
8. a silent film. [A Quiet Place] - ok so that's cheating a bit.
9. a film that topped the weekly box office within 2017. [Dunkirk]
10. a film with more than 400,000 votes on IMDb
11. a Studio Ghibli film. [The Red Turtle]
12. a DC film. I don't do these
13. a Marvel film. I don't do these
14. a film whose main genre is Horror. [The Devil's Candy]
15. a film whose main genre is Comedy. [Harry and Tonto]
16. a film whose main genre is Action. [A Prayer before Dawn]
17. a film whose main genre is Science Fiction. [Infinity Chamber]
18. a film whose main genre is Fantasy. [Pan's Labyrinth]
19. a film whose main genre is Romance. [On Body and Soul]
20. a film whose main genre is Western. [Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia]
21. a blaxploitation film.
22. a post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic/dystopian film. [Mute]
23. a film in the MoFo Fall of Fame
24. a Palme d'Or winner [The Square]
25. a film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture. [The Shape of Water]
26. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. [Manchester by the Sea]
27. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Score [Star Wars: A new Hope]
28. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Cinematography [The Third Man]
29. a film included in the National Society of Film Critics' 100 Essential Films list. [Night of the Hunter]
30. a film that is part of the Criterion Collection [Vagabond]
31. a martial arts film.
32. a Disney or Pixar film Coco
33. a film that is a novel or play adaptation. [Morvern Callar]
34. a musical film. [The Umbrellas of Cherbourg]
35. a film directed by a woman [Red Road]
36. a film more than 160 minutes long. [The Leopard]
37. a film that has been adapted to or from a TV series.
38. a (neo) noir film. [Thief]
39. a film in which the main character dies. [The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover]
40. a film in which aliens (or other terrestrial species) tries to eliminate mankind.
41. a film that doesn't take place on Earth or takes place in an alternate world. [Frequencies]
42. a film that won any type of Academy Award for 2017. [Call Me By Your Name]
43. a box office flop (made less money that it cost). [Blade Runner 2049]
44. a box office wonder (made at least 3 times as much as it cost). ?
45. a film with a budget lower than 1 million. [Teddy Bear]
46. a film that is part of a franchise with more than 5 sequels/remakes/reboots. ?
47. a Lars von Trier/Andrei Tarkovsky/Bernardo Bertolucci/Pedro Almodóvar film. [Talk to Her]
48. a Stanley Kubrick /Francis Ford Coppola/Alfred Hitchcock/Sidney Lumet film. [strangers on a train]
49. a Greta Garbo/Audrey Hepburn/Barbra Streisand/Vivien Leigh/Elizabeth Taylor film. ?
50. a Humphrey Bogart/James Stewart/Clark Gable/Orson Welles/Gregory Peck film. ?
51. a film released in 2018. [Tully]
52. a film in theaters. [You Were Never Really Here]

Foreign Language: A Fantastic Woman
Animated: The Breadwinner
IMDB Top 250: Dunkirk
Indie: Frances Ha
Black and White: The Public Enemy
Before 1960: Nights of Cabiria
Silent: The Goat
Box Office: Hidden Figures
40000 votes IMDB: Interstellar
Studio Ghibli: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Horror: Vampyr
Comedy: Waiting For Guffman
Action: A Bittersweet Life
Sci-Fi: Strange Days
Fantasy: Wolf Children
Romance: Call Me By Your Name
Western: Wagon Master
Post-Apoc, etc: Annihilation
MoFo Hall of Fame: The Ascent
Best Picture: The Shape of Water
Cinematography Oscar: The Quiet Man
Essential Films List: Mr Smith Goes To Washington
Criterion: Early Summer
Disney/Pixar: Coco
Novel/Play Adaptation: Little Women
Musical: A Star Is Born
Box Office Flop: The Master
Directed By A Woman: Tomboy
More than 160 Min: Jeanne Dielman
TV Show Adaptation: Jackass The Movie
Noir: Night and the City
Main Character Dies: Peeping Tom
2017 Academy Award Winner: Phantom Thread
Box Office Wonder: The Last Jedi
Hitchock, etc: Mr and Mrs.Smith
Released in 2018: Ready Player One
In Theatres: We Were Never Really Here
Bogart, etc: Night Nurse
Doesn't Take Place On Earth: The Cloverfield Paradox
Marvel Film: Black Panther
Martial Arts Film: The Raid 2
Score Oscar: Pinocchio
IMDB Bottom 100: Manos: The Hands of Fate (Watched with MST3K, counts right?)
DC Film: Justice League
Palme D'or Winner: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Aliens Try To Take Over: A Quiet Place
Part of a Franchise: Solo: A Star Wars Story
Lars Von Trier, etc: Bad Education
Garbo, etc: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Blaxploitation Film
Screenplay Oscar
Added these:

IMDB Bottom 100: Manos: The Hands of Fate (Watched with MST3K, counts right?)
DC Film: Justice League
Palme D'or Winner: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Aliens Try To Take Over: A Quiet Place
Part of a Franchise: Solo: A Star Wars Story
Lars Von Trier, etc: Bad Education
Garbo, etc: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Still got Blaxploitation (almost watched Putney Swope last night coincidentally) and Screenplay Oscar.

Of the other ones i've done these:

1. watch 10 foreign language films
2. watch every film nominated in 2017 for the Academy Award for Best Picture [ Lady Bird, Dunkirk, Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread, The Post, Get Out, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri ]
3. watch 10 films released before 1960
4. watch 20 films released in the same decade
5. watch 20 films of the same genre (choose between Western, Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action, Horror, Comedy)
6. watch 10 films released before 2000 that have won an Academy Award at any category (10/10)
7. watch 10 films in the IMDb Top 250
8. watch 10 animated films (The Breadwinner, Whisper of the Heart, Sleeping Beauty, Coco, Wolf Children, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Winnie The Pooh. My Life As A Zucchini, Early Man, Pinocchio)
9. watch 10 films from the same director (6/10 - John Ford)
10. watch 10 films released in 2018 (10/10)
Have finished the Oscars and 2018 ones since i've last updated, the ten Oscar Winners:

La Strada (Best Foreign), Nights of Cabiria (Best Foreign), Dodsworth (Best Art Direction), Mr Smith Goes to Washington (Best Original Story), The Quiet Man (Best Director), Mildred Pierce (Best Actress), Barry Lyndon (Best Art Direction), Day For Night (Best Foreign), The Age of Innocence (Best Costume Design), Shanghai Express (Best Cinematography)

Watched twenty 2018 films - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/2018/

Only have 10 from a director left. I believe the most i've seen from one is 8 from Sion Sono.

Also answers to Jabba
Cool to see some more people giving this a go. This year I went for the hardest version of this for myself, including only films I have watched for the first time since the start of the year and using a film only once, either in regular mode or in nightmare. I think the hardest one to finish would be 20 films from the same decade as I wanted to push myself and use the 60s instead of something more modern.

Good news is there is quite a bit of overlap in some of the films I've used so I can easily switch them to a different category depending on what I watch next.

I've watched seventy films from the 1930's, although it's for a Countdown. Hardest for me was always going to be ten from one director since i switch around a lot, nearly finished with Sono though.

A system of cells interlinked
Most categories filled, with just a few to go...

1. a foreign language film Timecrimes
2. an animated film. Lego Movie (Hated it, didn't finish it, not sure if it still counts. Probably not.)
3. a film in the IMDb Top 250. The Godfather Part II
4. a film in the IMDb Bottom 100. Scary Movie 5
5. an indie film. Let the Right One In
6. a black and white film. Strangers on a Train
7. a film released before 1960. Vertigo
8. a silent film.
9. a film that topped the weekly box office within 2017. Star Wars : The Last Jedi
10. a film with more than 400,000 votes on IMDb The Princess Bride
11. a Studio Ghibli film.
12. a DC film. Justice League
13. a Marvel film. Thor : Ragnorok
14. a film whose main genre is Horror. As Above, So Below
15. a film whose main genre is Comedy. Ghostbusters
16. a film whose main genre is Action. Predator
17. a film whose main genre is Science Fiction. Annihilation
18. a film whose main genre is Fantasy. Excalibur
19. a film whose main genre is Romance. Brooklyn
20. a film whose main genre is Western. Fort Apache
21. a blaxploitation film.
22. a post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic/dystopian film. Into The Forest
23. a film in the MoFo Fall of Fame
24. a Palme d'Or winner Taxi Driver
25. a film that has won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The Shape of Water
26. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Get Out
27. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Original Score Gravity
28. a film that won an Academy Award for Best Cinematography Blade Runner 2049
29. a film included in the National Society of Film Critics' 100 Essential Films list. Lawrence of Arabia
30. a film that is part of the Criterion Collection Brazil
31. a martial arts film. The Perfect Weapon
32. a Disney or Pixar film. Tron Legacy
33. a film that is a novel or play adaptation. To Kill a Mockingbird
34. a musical film. The Wizard of Oz
35. a film directed by a woman Wonder Woman
36. a film more than 160 minutes long. Martin Scorsese's Silence
37. a film that has been adapted to or from a TV series. Westworld
38. a (neo) noir film. Chinatown
39. a film in which the main character dies. Rogue One
40. a film in which aliens (or other terrestrial species) tries to eliminate mankind. Men in Black
41. a film that doesn't take place on Earth or takes place in an alternate world. Avatar
42. a film that won any type of Academy Award for 2017. Arrival
43. a box office flop (made less money that it cost). Blade Runner
44. a box office wonder (made at least 3 times as much as it cost). A Quiet Place
45. a film with a budget lower than 1 million. Primer
46. a film that is part of a franchise with more than 5 sequels/remakes/reboots. Friday the 13th
47. a Lars von Trier/Andrei Tarkovsky/Bernardo Bertolucci/Pedro Almodóvar film. Melancholia
48. a Stanley Kubrick /Francis Ford Coppola/Alfred Hitchcock/Sidney Lumet film. Notorious
49. a Greta Garbo/Audrey Hepburn/Barbra Streisand/Vivien Leigh/Elizabeth Taylor film. Breakfast at Tiffany's
50. a Humphrey Bogart/James Stewart/Clark Gable/Orson Welles/Gregory Peck film. Dark Passage
51. a film released in 2018. Game Night
52. a film in theaters. Avengers : Infinity War

I used films that I watched during 2018, with just a couple of exceptions.