Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

I enjoyed the dialogue mostly (except for the daddy psyche session)
It's a really awful scene, isn't it?

Hostiles -
+
(Scott Cooper, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I don't even know what to say about this one. It's the first Scott Cooper movie I've seen and I don't even know if I care to see any of the others. It's not awful for the most part, but the script was trite and had the dimensionality of a twig. Or, perhaps, it was more that it didn't have much to say. Or, perhaps, it's that we've seen this all before. Whatever the case, this dull, run-of-the-mill western didn't do anything for me except make me want to watch the better westerns it was influenced by.

I'm a big fan of Out Of The Furnace and I also like Black Mass for the most part. I think Scott Cooper is a nice director I still need to watch Crazy Heart and Hostiles.

thanks for the thoughts as usual Swan you're awesome

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle -
+
(Jake Kasdan, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Part of why I wanted to stop ratings was because I'm trying to be less hateful towards movies. I'm not doing a very good job, but sometimes I do. I still want to be honest.

Anyway, my friends wanted to see this so I went in looking for a good time. That's what I got. The crowd I was with was so enthusiastic and they really made it. My main problem with the film is that it's overly long and very formulaic in a bad way. On the plus side, each cast member was great, delivering performances with immense charisma and comedic timing.

It's hard for me to hate a movie that wears it's stupid silliness on it's sleeve this much.

An American Werewolf in London -
+
(John Landis, 1981)

[REWATCH]

Kinda fascinating seeing this now. My dad raised me on horror, and this was one of the flicks he showed me that had an undeniable impression on me. It was love at first sight and has been a reference point with cinema (and music - every time I hear "Blue Moon" or "Bad Moon Rising," I think of this movie) ever since. But what's interesting to me is that the experience doesn't lessen or grow, it simply changes. While I don't get to see it as the flawless piece of cinema I did when I was a kid, I do get to see it for the truly great filmmaking it is. Now that I am a bit more educated with cinema and the world, a bit older, I get to understand and appreciate everything Landis was doing with this flick, things that passed over my head back then. But no matter what, my passionate love for this film remains. It's great! Woof!

Great fillum!
Solid
for me.
"Woof" though???
Surely you mean "Hoooowwwl"

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Hostiles
(Scott Cooper, 2017)

Ayudame Dios! I was going to see this today, but... It looks so good, but I haven't heard anyone say anything good about this.

Well, I would never discourage anyone from seeing a movie, especially one they wanted to see. Up to you. I wasn't a fan but, as far as I know it's been fairly polarizing, with some people liking it quite a bit.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I am finding out that going to the theater is close to a necessity for my viewings. When I'm at home, I think I subconsciously feel like I can check out or give up on a movie. If I invest the time and money to go, I'm of the belief it helps me concentrate.

I was never excited to see Hostiles, I've just ran out of stuff to go see at the theater.

Late Spring -

(Yasujiro Ozu, 1949)

[REWATCH]

Holy crap. I can't say Ozu was love at first sight, because I definitely struggled in the beginning. And though I appreciated him a little more with each film I saw (which, I believe, consists of Early Summer, Tokyo Story, and Late Spring), I never really expected to fall in love this time, though maybe I should have. I have found learning about Ozu's process and techniques has helped me to understand the appeal - specifically, I have watched Channel Criswell's great video essay titled "Yasujiro Ozu - The Depth of Simplicity" - so it shouldn't have been a surprise that understanding what this filmmaker was going for would help me like his work. The truth is, I don't think I've seen a more idiosyncratic filmmaker. Ozu seemed to follow his own rules, and while many filmmakers have talked about their desire to create their own personal language of cinema, Ozu actually did it. The greatest tofu maker.

Tropical Malady -

(Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)

[NEW WATCH]

I'm incredibly perplexed by what I just saw and if there was ever a need to digest a film it would be after seeing this one. I will admit it took me thirty minutes to get invested but once it settled in and I let the film wash over me, it got really damn good - becoming downright spiritually moving by the end.

My main takeaway right now is I absolutely LOVE how Weerasethakul used structure rather than story to explore themes of love and human nature. Leaving it at that doesn't do the film justice, though, because it's one worth pondering and studying over. But as I'm still comprehending it, that will have to do.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The greatest tofu maker.
And Setsuko Hara is the greatest eternal virgin, only second to me. :P
Tropical Malady
My favourite Joe film. The jungle scenes towards the end are 101 in metaphysics.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Late Spring is about tied for my favorite Ozu with An Autumn Afternoon.

My wife told me to put Hostiles on our watchlist-ignored!

Why you underrating American Werewolf?

Not familiar with Taste of Cherry but the title reminds me of high school.

Amarcord -

(Federico Fellini)

[NEW WATCH]

Fascinating watch when considering it's semi-autobiographical about Fellini. My main problem is the sense of humor started to get a bit old after the first ten or twenty minutes. I will definitely revisit this in the future with a still open mind, but as of right now I'd say this is my least favorite of the four Fellini films I've seen.

I own Late Spring but haven't watched it yet. Right now i'm planning on watching a few more films from big directors i've neglected until i've seen at least five from them, doing Fellini now then i was planning on Bunuel, after him i'm going to do Ozu so i'll finally watch Late Spring and The Only Son. Not seen anything by Joe but definitely intrigued.

Looking forward to Amarcord, i remember JJ is a big fan. Now watch Nights of Cabiria

I own Late Spring but haven't watched it yet. Right now i'm planning on watching a few more films from big directors i've neglected until i've seen at least five from them, doing Fellini now then i was planning on Bunuel, after him i'm going to do Ozu so i'll finally watch Late Spring and The Only Son. Not seen anything by Joe but definitely intrigued.

Looking forward to Amarcord, i remember JJ is a big fan. Now watch Nights of Cabiria
Dude you need to check out Ozu ASAP. But don't be discouraged if his work doesn't resonate with you right away. Took me a while to appreciate him myself, but ever since revisiting Late Spring the other day I can't stop thinking about Ozu as a filmmaker.

Dude you need to check out Ozu ASAP. But don't be discouraged if his work doesn't resonate with you right away. Took me a while to appreciate him myself, but ever since revisiting Late Spring the other day I can't stop thinking about Ozu as a filmmaker.
I've actually seen Tokyo Story and Woman of Tokyo. Tokyo Story is one of my favourite films, although i haven't revisited it and i kinda think Make Way For Tomorrow is better in every way. Woman of Tokyo was solid enough but i did get bored at times.