Mojo Filter's Top 50 Bands

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I've never gotten into The Rolling Stones as much as others did, but I like a few of their songs and Sticky Fingers is a good album.

Bee Gees would be top 20 for me. The amount of amazing songs to their name is staggering.

I like a Journey a lot, but they're very much a singles band to me. A lot of strong singles, but their albums are generally pretty mediocre.

U2 are great as well, but I need to check out more of their stuff before I can call them a favourite of mine.

Solid top ten so far

6. NIRVANA
In the early 90's, a rock revolution occurred that shook the very foundation of the music industry. The revolution was known as Grunge, and it's capital was Seattle, Washington. Leading the movement was Nirvana, headed by an extremely talented songwriter, guitarist, and singer named Kurt Cobain, who eventually became the voice of his generation, delivering anthems of teen angst. Also in the band was bassist Krist Novoselic, and, future Foo Fighters frontman and legitimate rock star, drummer Dave Grohl. The band only lasted 4 years before Cobain committed suicide, ending an important era in music history.

My favorite songs:
All Apologies
Dumb
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Come As You Are
Lithium
Something In The Way
The Man Who Sold The World
Heart Shaped Box
Rape Me
Serve The Servants
Scentless Apprentice
On A Plain
You Know You're Right

In Bloom

My favorite album:
Unplugged In New York

5. THE DOORS

In 1967, American rock band The Doors arrived on the scene, and for a very short time, 4 years to be exact, before legendary lead singer, and passionate songwriter and poet, Jim Morrison, who is by far one of the greatest vocalists in history, was found dead in a Paris hotel bathtub at the age of 27, the band, Morrison to be specific, was the center of so much controversy, and a strong following during the Vietnam War and Hippy eras of the late 60's that they inspired filmmaker Oliver Stone, himself a Vietnam War veteran, to make a movie about them about 25 years later. During the short run at global success, The Doors, which also included keyboardist Ray Manzarek, guitarist Robby Krieger, and drummer John Densmore, released some of the biggest classic songs and albums of all time.

My favorite songs:
Light My Fire
The Crystal Ship
Love Me Two Times
The End
People Are Strange
Hello, I Love You
Love Street
Love Her Madly
Waiting For The Sun
Riders On The Storm
Roadhouse Blues
L.A. Woman
The Unknown Soldier
Five To One

Break On Through (To The Other Side)

My favorite album:
The Doors

My absolute favourite band of all time. I found them when I was 17 and they've had a huge influence on my life.

4. PINK FLOYD

I discovered British rock giants Pink Floyd in 1994 when my friend introduced me to them by repeatedly playing their albums. At the time, I developed a mysterious kind of "artistic awakening", as I'd like to call it, because the music Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright made was like nothing I had ever heard before. Their live concert album and video Pulse became my obsession that year. Pink Floyd is truly one of the most amazing bands that has come into existence.

My favorite songs:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Money
Time
Breathe
Us And Them
The Thin Ice
Mother
Hey You
Nobody Home
Comfortably Numb
High Hopes
Louder Than Words

Wish You Were Here

My favorite album:
The Wall

The Doors are my #2 while Floyd is at least top 15. Floyd was the best concert I ever saw.

You're so lucky! Never got to see Floyd live. I saw Roger Waters doing the Wall live last year. The show was incredible, but I'm sure a Pink Floyd concert would have been more exhilarating.

Who's your number one?

3. FOO FIGHTERS
Following the death of Kurt Cobain, Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl began a solo career under the fake name of "Foo Fighters", writing and singing his own songs, and playing guitar, bass, and drums on all the tracks. Soon afterwards, he settled as a lead singer and guitarist, and recruited some very talented musicians, including drummer Taylor Hawkins, who is by far one of the greatest drummers of our time, former Nirvana session rhythm guitar player Pat Smear, bassist Nate Mendel, and lead guitarist Chris Shiflett to make up the now real band with the same name. If you would have asked me 5 years ago, the Foo Fighters would have probably been somewhere at the bottom of my Top 50. But then, the album Wasting Light dropped in 2011, and completely blew me away. Since then, I thoroughly explored the band's back catalog, and, within months, I ended up having all of their albums and officially became a Foo Fighters fanatic. Dave Grohl is without a doubt the biggest rock star on the planet today. During their latest tour, he broke his leg, but that did not stop him or the band from keeping the show on the road. Within 20 years the Foo Fighters has managed to reach rock royalty status (in my opinion, exceeding the level of accomplishment of Dave's former band Nirvana), putting Dave and company right up there with the greats, and I do mean Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles. Their long and respectable lists of amazing songs and incredible albums speak for themselves.

My favorite songs:
Big Me
I'll Stick Around
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
My Hero
Learn To Fly
Breakout
Next Year
Generator
Headwires
All My Life
Halo
Best Of You
On The Mend
Let It Die
Stranger Things Have Happened
Deepest Blues Are Black
Statues
Home
Wheels
Rope
Dear Rosemary
These Days
I Should Have Known
Something From Nothing
In The Clear
The Feast And The Famine
I Am A River

The Pretender

My favorite album:
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

I haven't heard much from The Foo Fighters, but what I have heard sounded decent. I hardly listen to new music. I know, they're new for me.

I haven't heard much from The Foo Fighters, but what I have heard sounded decent. I hardly listen to new music. I know, they're new for me.

In 2011, I uploaded all of their songs on my iPod and that was all I heard for a few months. The material that these guys have made is just as good as any other legendary band in history, hence their high ranking in my list. Plus, Dave Grohl is the kind of guy you can't hate. A true rock star of our time.

I knew this would happen. Because if we'd know no2, well, then, it's either The Beatles orno1 is or I don't know what. Of course I took a look just right before you did no2. Don't worry, I'm used to that kind of luck.

Sweet Child o' Mine

She's A Rainbow

2. OASIS

When British band Oasis emerged in 1994, the music scene in England was lacking the excitement and authenticity not seen since the rock heydays of the 60's and 70's. The Manchester, England band, consisting of the two founding members, brothers Liam Gallagher, who is by far one of the greatest vocalists in music history, and Noel Gallagher, the band's chief lyricist, guitarist, and occasional vocalist, (in my opinion, Noel is easily THE greatest songwriter of his generation), along with the band's original lineup of Paul McGuigan (a.k.a. Guigsy) on bass, Paul Arthurs (a.k.a. Bonehead) on rhythm guitar, and Alan White on drums (the original drummer Tony McCarroll was sacked just as the band's first album was released). Guigsy and Bonehead would later be replaced with accomplished musicians Andy Bell and Gem Archer respectively in 2000. Alan White was replaced with Ringo Starr's song Zak Starkey in 2004 and then with session player Chris Sharrock in 2008. In 1994, the band, led by the relentlessly funny and outspoken Gallagher siblings, singlehandedly revived rock music in their home country before importing their swagger to the USA and the world a year later. Their confidence and sometimes cocky attitude, extremely catchy and infectious tunes won them a huge following around the world. Their self-proclaimed status as being the "best band in the world" was true. Oasis are considered the most important rock band that has come out of the England since The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. It's too bad they kind of fell off the map in America for most of the 2000's until their breakup in 2009, but it was America's loss really. What can I say? I'm still "mad for it"!

My favorite songs:
Live Forever
Columbia
Married With Children
Rock 'N Roll Star
Up In The Sky
Talk Tonight
The Masterplan
D'yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
Whatever
Roll With It
Wonderwall
Champagne Supernova
Cast No Shadow
Morning Glory
Hey Now
Underneath The Sky
(It's Good) To Be Free
Half The World Away
Don't Look Back In Anger
Don't Go Away
Go Let It Out
Songbird
F**kin' In The Bushes
Little By Little
She Is Love
Lyla
Mucky Fingers
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel
Love Like A Bomb
I'm Outta Time
Falling Down
The Shock Of The Lightning

Supersonic

My favorite album:
(What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Before I reveal my Number 1 favorite band, which I'm sure most of you know what it will be, and conclude my nearly month-long thread, I would like to share some bands that barely cracked my Top 50. Maybe the following list will help you in figuring out who my Number 1 is if you haven't got a clue yet...

VAN HALEN

Whether the frontman was David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar, Eddie Van Halen was always on guitar, and the music was great. The song Jump was one of my favorite songs growing up. But I was never a hardcore fan, unfortunately.

THE CARS

If I were to list my Top 100, these guys would be at Number 51. Growing up, I was blown away by their massive singles. Songs like Magic, Drive, Just What I Needed, My Best Friend's Girl, Shake It Up, and You Might Think are on the soundtrack of my life.

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE / STARSHIP

Starship were one of my favorites growing up. They would definitely land at number 52 on my list of 100. I just love songs like Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, We Built This City, and Sara. I later learned that the band were a 2nd generation of 60's hippy band Jefferson Airplane, the band behind such classics as Somebody To Love, White Rabbit, and Volunteers.

TAKE THAT

Before I discovered Oasis, I was a big fan of Britain's, specifically Manchester, England's, ultimate boy band Take That. I might call them a guilty pleasure today, but back then they were banging out great songs that they wrote themselves, mostly by the group's de facto leader Gary Barlow, which distinguished them from all other boy bands before and after as true artists. I just love songs like Back For Good, Why Can't I Wake Up With You, Never Forget, Shine, Reach Out, Up All Night, The Flood, and Pretty Things. Besides, if it weren't for them, we would not have had England's greatest entertainer of the past 3 decades, Mr. Robbie Williams.

DIRE STRAITS

Money For Nothing was the theme song of the MTV generation, which I proudly belong to. Of course there were other great songs by Mark Knopfler and company, including Walk Of Life, Sultans Of Swing, and Romeo And Juliet.

ZZ TOP

ZZ Top were famous for their long beards, cool shades, and hard rocking tunes. Gimme All Your Lovin', Legs, TV Dinners, Sharp Dressed Man, and Rough Boy were some of my favorite songs growing up.

THE BANGLES

The Bangles were the ultimate badass all-girl rock band of the 80's. They would land at Number 53 on my Top 100. Songs like Walk Like An Egyptian, Eternal Flame, and Manic Monday are timeless classics.

THE GO-GO'S

Aside from the fact that this band launched the careers of Belinda Carlisle and Jane Wiedlin, the all-girl rock group released some great songs in the 80's including We Got The Beat, Our Lips Are Sealed, and Vacation.

THE VERVE

In the years following the death of Kurt Cobain and the end of the Grunge era in 1994, there was another rock revolution called Britpop. British bands, influenced by the popularity of Oasis and Blur, began emerging in big numbers, some lasted for decades (Radiohead, Coldplay), and others made a big splash before vanishing, and The Verve was a good example. Even though Richard Ashcroft and company had been around for years, and had headlined a show in which Oasis were a supporting act at one point, they did not reach worldwide acclaim until they released the incredible Urban Hymns in 1997. Songs like Bittersweet Symphony, Sonnet, The Drugs Don't Work, The Rolling People, and Lucky Man are timeless classics.

BLUR

Damon Albarn and company helped define Britpop in the mid-90's with incredible songs, and continued to deliver classics well into the 2000's. Country House, The Universal, Beetlebum, Tender, Song 2, and Girls & Boys are just some of the hits to their credit.

1. THE BEATLES

It should come as no surprise that the 4 boys from Liverpool, England are at the top of my list (I guess my John Lennon avatar kind of gave that away). The Beatles are, without a shred of a doubt, the greatest band in history. What the Fab Four achieved in 6 years of international fame, beginning when they conquered America and the world in 1964, has not been and never will be repeated or duplicated by any other band until the end of time. Not only did John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr make some really exciting and amazing music together, and impacted the way kids dressed and styled their hair, but they defined an era; an era that has surpassed generations keeping Beatlemania alive 50 years on and counting. My father was a fan, and I remember having a greatest hits compilation of theirs on vinyl as a child. But I did not fully discover them until 1995, which was the time I was introduced to bands like Oasis, and began expanding my musical horizon beyond the cheesy pop and dance music of the time. My obsession with the Beatles eventually led me to picking up the guitar and writing my own songs a few years later.

My favorite songs:
Love Me Do
I Saw Her Standing There
Twist And Shout
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Feel Fine
All I've Got To Do
I Should Have Known Better
If I Fell
And I Love Her
No Reply
Help!
The Night Before
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
Nowhere Man
In My Life
I'm Only Sleeping
Taxman
Here, There And Everywhere
With A Little Help From My Friends
Getting Better
A Day In The Life
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Dear Prudence
Mother Nature's Son
Revolution
Hey Bulldog
All You Need Is Love
Baby You're A Rich Man
Your Mother Should Know
Come Together
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
You Never Give Me Your Money/Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
Oh Darling
I Me Mine
Hey Jude
Two Of Us
I've Got A Feeling
Get Back

We Can Work It Out

My favorite album:
Abbey Road

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I was thinking for sure that Van Halen would be in the top ten. Or maybe I was thinking of my list.

Congrats on finishing the list and you honestly could not have a worthier #1.

Yeah, congrats, man! I would give you an across the universe number of reps, but I can't, so I gave you just one.

My fave album is Magical Mystery Tour, and if we don't count it, Sgt. Pepper's.

The Beatles are so great at #1 that they make up for Oasis-great job bro!

A couple of my faves in the honorable mentions, especially ZZ Top and VH