4. Adieu au langage by Jean-Luc Godard

5. The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson

6. The Iron Ministry by J.P. Sniadecki

7. Blind by Eskil Vogt

8. Journey to the West by Tsai Ming-Liang

9. Maidan by Sergei Loznitsa

10. Beyond Zero: 1914-1918 by Bill Morrison and David Harrington

Lord High Filmquisitor
I have sadly seen none of your top ten and only even beard of one. If nothing else, I'll be looking into them to see what's what.

Of your list, I saw Goodbye to Language and The Grand Budapest Hotel, but neither made my top ten. My current top ten is:

1. Life Itself
  2. Whiplash
  3. Birdman
  4. Gone Girl
  5. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
  6. Two Days, One Night
  7. Locke
  8. The LEGO Movie
  9. Foxcatcher
  10. Winter Sleep

I think the best movie I saw that was released last year was A Most Wanted Man. It was so powerful and realistic. The acting blew me away, and I'v never gotten so much satisfaction from Rachel McAdams before.

A Viggo Mortensen film at number 1! Tokeza's gone all mainstream on us

I haven't seen much from 2014 but this would be my Top 10 at the moment - it will change a lot in the next few months.

1. Boyhood - Richard Linklater
2. Tracks - John Curran
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson
4. Charlie's Country - Rolf de Heer
5. Nymphomaniac Volume 1 - Lars Von Trier
6. The Railway Man - Jonathan Teplitzky
7. Noah - Darren Aronofsky
8. Only Lovers Left Alive - Jim Jarmusch
9. Nymphomaniac Volume 2 - Lars Von Trier
10. Belle - Amma Asante

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
No doubt Hobbit:The Battle of the Five Armies

wanabe movie critique
You didn't like Interstellar??

Honestly: Did no one else like Interstellar? Not even enough to be in their top tens? I thought it was visionary..

Lord High Filmquisitor
Honestly: Did no one else like Interstellar? Not even enough to be in their top tens? I thought it was visionary..
It was my third favorite of the year (so far). It was absolutely phenominal on every level.

Haven't seen too many movies this year (17 so far) but I liked all of these enough to have a list.

1. Calvary
2. Birdman
3. Interstellar
4. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
5. Nightcrawler
6. Exodus
7. Gone Girl
8. Muppets Most Wanted
9. 300: Rise of an Empire
10. The Trip to Rome

Watched Accused yesterday. It would easily be my #3 for 2014 after Birdman and Boyhood. Although i am not very good at making lists.

Juaja looks like something I'd like, interesting to see all the work Viggo Mortensen did for it. Goodbye to Language I have been wanting to see too, I might try and watch it soon, although I wish I could somehow at a cinema. It's great how you get to see all these different films.

By the way have you seen Boyhood? I watch that recently and thought it was great, I think you'd like it.

Yeah i think you'll like Jauja. Its basically a surreal existential western set in Argentina. Im rather baffled that Viggo Mortensen would be a part of the film, as it is basically a low-budget film from Argentina

I saw Boyhood about half a year ago in the cinema and while it is good (probably my second favorite American movie of the year), i don't find it that interesting and for me it never achieves the same cinematic magic as the Before trilogy. On a Danish forum i frequent a user basically referenced the movie to music, saying:

Before Trilogy = Bob Dylan
Boyhood = Coldplay

I pretty much agree with that statement, as Boyhood never gets dangerous / radical. Albeit there are some good scenes with the mother and Ethan Hawkes does a good job as well. I think i ended up rating it

In regards to Interstellar i must admit i havent seen it, but i think i have given Nolan enough chances to prove himself. His films certainly do not cater for my tastes. I saw the trailer when i went to see Gone Girl and it looked like a genuine turd that i would detest

Obviously i havent seen everything and the films i look forward to watching is: Winter Sleep (Ceylan), Clouds of Sils Maria (Assayas), Leviathan (Zvyagintsev), Amour fou (Hausner) and From What is Before (Diaz).

Well I am yet to see Whiplash. And a lot of others. Trying to give movie watching a break and get back to gaming a little. So i have really fallen behind. Oh i forgot, The imitation game is my favorite. How did i forget that.

I was a disaster in solving Turing machine problems when i was college!

Yeah i think you'll like Jauja. Its basically a surreal existential western set in Argentina. Im rather baffled that Viggo Mortensen would be a part of the film, as it is basically a low-budget film from Argentina

I saw Boyhood about half a year ago in the cinema and while it is good (probably my second favorite American movie of the year), i don't find it that interesting and for me it never achieves the same cinematic magic as the Before trilogy. On a Danish forum i frequent a user basically referenced the movie to music, saying:

Before Trilogy = Bob Dylan
Boyhood = Coldplay

I pretty much agree with that statement, as Boyhood never gets dangerous / radical. Albeit there are some good scenes with the mother and Ethan Hawkes does a good job as well. I think i ended up rating it

In regards to Interstellar i must admit i havent seen it, but i think i have given Nolan enough chances to prove himself. His films certainly do not cater for my tastes. I saw the trailer when i went to see Gone Girl and it looked like a genuine turd that i would detest

Obviously i havent seen everything and the films i look forward to watching is: Winter Sleep (Ceylan), Clouds of Sils Maria (Assayas), Leviathan (Zvyagintsev), Amour fou (Hausner) and From What is Before (Diaz).
Yeah, I actually read about Juaja, did you know that Viggo Mortsensen helped make the poster and write subtitles for three different languages too?

And it's a shame you didn't like Boyhood too much, I just posted about it in another thread:

I watched it yesterday and I'll have a go. It's the fact that no much happens, that it's just a collection of normal moments. Maybe the fact that my mother's brought me up a lot of the time on her own, whilst going through a couple of long term relationships, my father living away, and me recently leaving my family to go to university makes me very biased, but there's a grounded reality, and humanistic element that flows throughout the whole film that makes it wonderful to watch. To some it might seem dull, boring, scripting or whatever, but I think the majority of people who watch it will at least be touched by one scene somehow. It's just a joy to watch, it makes you happy to live life, teaches you about relationships and reminds us of how lucky we are, to remember the important things in life, and also go for what we dream.
But I'm glad it seems you like Bob Dylan!

The films you've seen are far more radical and unseen than the ones I have, so I've got a lot of catching up to you. I know from your other posts that you have seen quite a few at festivals and screenings etc. so as I said before I'm jealous, as otherwise it takes a while and is difficult to see most of these films. Winter Sleep looks great, I have Once Upon a Time in Anatolia read to watch from a couple years back too.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I just discovered this thread now. I posted my favourites of the year in the Movie Tabs thread, but I might as well share them here, too.

The Rover - David Michod

A chillingly elemental and minimalist slice of Australian filmmaking. It failed to resonate with audiences because it is so deceptively simple - it is no way near as thematically complex as Michod's previous work, Animal Kingdom, and this is precisely why Cannes were largely underwhelmed with it. It is a masterful exercise in mood and atmosphere, and, consequently, a remarkably straightforward film. It's also impeccably photographed, and one of the few Australian films of the last few years that was shot on 35mm photochemical film. And that is precisely what you needed to capture the stark, unforgiving, yet oddly alluring outback of the Australian outback. It's really beautiful.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson

I am hardly a fan of Anderson's work, but this has to be one of the most technically well-crafted American films of the last ten years. From the the vibrant, vivid colours to the flawless composition and framing to the perceptive and detailed art design, and all the way down to the the witty, fast-paced screenplay, and beautiful cinematography. It also has an extremely impressive cast, lead by the criminally overlooked Ralph Fiennes.

Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

This is truly an intense, fervent slice of filmmaking. It transforms jazz into a ruthless bloodsport. The towering screen presence of Teller and Simmons place aside, this film has to be one of the best, purely from an editorial standpoint, in quite some time. This is how you build a sense of inexorable anxiety and strain - each cut just nervously adding to the next. So often throughout the viewing it felt like you were behind the drums, in Andrew's position, anxiously playing whilst Fletcher was stalking each and every auditory note, ready to pounce in vexation if you blundered. And the use of sound was impeccable - who would've thought jazz music could be so fanatical and daunting when placed in this context? A masterpiece, for sure.

Boyhood - Richard Linklater

This is when experimentation pays off. It's a restrained, careful, and human work, never becoming too exploitive with its 12-year concept nor coming across as overly-gimmicky and showy. It's a difficult film to dislike because it has so much scope - everyone can relate to this film on some level, and it never becomes too extravagant, conceptually, and this is why I think it has resonated with such a mass audience. I wouldn't put this up there as a favourite and I don't even think it's Linklater's best, but there's no denying it's a wonderful film - it has the humanity of an Ozu film and a very European-orientated sensibility, as the pacing and overall structure of the film felt rather reminiscent to something Ingmar Bergman would have conjured up.

Nightcrawler - Dan Gilroy

This is one of the most uncompromisingly salient American films of recent times. Not only a shatteringly insightful look into the ostensibly questionable merit of contemporary journalism, but, on a much larger level, an aggressive denunciation of the corporatist, capitalist model. It's a work that fundamentally demonstrates how unprincipled our system has become, and how we can grant enterprise and opportunities to businesses that run on depraved and venal convictions. Moreover, Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of the most impressive and focused performances of the last few years. Elswit's beautiful nighttime photography and Gilroy's slick writing, direction, and pacing are all noteworthy points, too. It's also a remarkably edited feature. An instantly recommendable film, if not for its radical political subtext and postulations but for its sheer intensity and drama.

Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller

Technically adept filmmaking, no matter which way you look it. It has a very bleached out visual aesthetic - it's masterfully shot, but not in your conventionally expected way. It's such a complete work; from photography to editing, to acting to sound, to storytelling to direction - it excels in all of the aforementioned components and exceedingly so. The performances are toweringly good, and as some may give all the attention to Carell (who was, yes, remarkable), I personally believe Ruffalo stole the show. This is a work I admire the more I think about it. As we know, it's a real life tragedy, and it could have easily fell victim to overwrought sentimentality and cliches. But Miller approached it with a restrained and observant sensibility, never letting exposition get in the way.

I also enjoyed large-scale science fiction projects like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. Smaller-scale productions like Joe and Blue Ruin were rather good, as well. The Babadook was also up there for contention as a favourite - one of the more fresh and original horror works of the last decade. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I'm not especially happy with my current top 10 since I've only seen 18 films from this year but this be it:

01. Goodbye to Language - dir. Jean-Luc Godard (8+)
02. Birdman - dir. Alejandro G. Iñárritu (8)
03. What We Do in the Shadows - dir. Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi (8)
04. Tusk - dir. Kevin Smith (8-)
05. VHS: Viral - dir. various artists? (8-)
06. Tokyo Tribe - dir. Sion Sono (7+)
07. The ABCs of Death 2 - dir. also various artists?? (7+)
08. The Babadook - dir. Jennifer Kent (7+)
09. Nightcrawler - dir. Dan Gilroy (7-)
10. Big Hero 6 - dir. Don Hall & Chris Williams (7-)

and then...
Godzilla
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Guest
The Interview
Muppets Most Wanted
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Wake Up, Girls! Seven Idols
...were all a 6 or less.