Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Thanks for the recommendation SeingidBelieving Nah, bit of a mess of a post from me The Sweeney was a John Thaw/Dennis Waterman cop show that seems to be shown on UK ITV4 almost constantly!
Ah — Sweeney Todd / The Flying Squad. I understand now . Yeah, I feel like I've seen Russell Hunter playing one of Regan's snouts.

I loved The Professionals, and that's on all the time too. On Blu-ray as well now apparently.

'Edward Scissorhands' (1990)

Rewatch.

I knew I always liked this film but didn't know I liked it this much. It has obvious themes of being different, alone and of loneliness but also seems ahead of it's time dealing with mob culture, mass hysteria, virtue signalling and a whole load of other negative traits that are seen online and in various forms today. The plot is almost Shakespearean. It's a damning indictment of society and morals. Not forgetting Danny Elfman's score and the amazing set design - I'm tempted to say it's Burton's masterpiece.
I recently watched it and was surprisingly un-moved. It just seemed like it was trying to be really sweet and really weird at the same time... which didn't really work. That said, Danny Elfman's score is amazing! One of my favorite film scores I think.

Jeff Bridges was awe-inspiring in this. I keep meaning to get it and listen to the commentary.

mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)
+
Nice idea, would have benefitted from a little more restraint though imo

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

When Marnie Was There (2014) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Just expect a very positive review in the coming days.

Blue Gender: The Warrior (2002) - First Time on DVD

For a compilation movie composed of both re-used and new animation with an alternate ending, this one is a lot better than it should be. It has a far better plot structure and continuity than Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth, that's for sure. In the final minutes, it becomes clear that they weren't sure what to do with it and some plot holes show up, but overall it's pretty good - I can think of worse ways I could spend the last hours of my birthday, that's for sure. It piqued my interest and made me want to check out the series it's an alternate telling of. It's also a fun and exciting movie - lots of action - and the gore hounds will find a good deal of R-rated violence here. Funimation has also, as is expected from them by now, provided a excellent English dub with Eric Vale and Laura Bailey standing out as Yuji Kaido, who wakes up after 22 years to find that savage aliens known as the Blue have overrun the Earth, and Marlene Angel, the soldier under strict orders to take Yuji to "Second Earth" with her. There's also Dr. Ritsuko Akagi (and Hana and Monkey D. Luffy) herself Colleen Clinkenbeard, Goku himself Sean Schemmel, and Vegeta (and Roronoa Zoro and All Might) himself Chris Sabat in smaller roles and the dub script is completely natural.

Ah — Sweeney Todd / The Flying Squad. I understand now . Yeah, I feel like I've seen Russell Hunter playing one of Regan's snouts.

I loved The Professionals, and that's on all the time too. On Blu-ray as well now apparently.
Another classic programme for face spotting...like Trigger from Only Fools and horses playing a stone cold killer.. To keep slightly on topic, the Sweeney film 2012 was pretty rubbish compared to "Sweeney" (1977).

[47 Meters Down]

I enjoyed this scary movie. My huge fear of the water didn’t hurt watching this.
You're braver than I am. I used to love swimming out into the ocean. Then I saw Jaws. Haven't been able to swim out there for the 45 years since!..

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Chambermaid (Lila Avilés, 2018)
+
3 from Hell (Rob Zombie, 2019)
+
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (André Øvredal, 2019)

The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent, 2018)

Sborigine native Baykali Ganambarr guards Irish.convict/indentured servant Aisling Franciosi in the dangerous Tasmanian forest.
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (Hajime Satô, 1968)
+
Frettin' (Lee Price, 2017)
-
Psycho Stripper (Jake Helgren, 2019)

The Living Skeleton (Hiroki Matsuno,1968)

Twin Kikko Matsuoka is possessed by her sister to gain revenge on her rapist murderers - but that's only the part of it.
When Pigs Fly (Sara Driver, 1993)
+
The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Thurop Van Orman & John Rice, 2019)

Sleepwalk (Sara Driver, 1986)
+
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (Xavier Burgin, 2019)

Horror vets Ken Foree and Keith David are among those who discuss their roles while others put black horror films in the context of American history.
Starfish (A.T. White, 2018)

Tougher Than Leather (Rick Rubin, 1986)

Slither (James Gunn, 2006)

Tell Me Who I Am (Ed Perkins, 2019)
+

Unbelievably disturbing documentary about twins and how their lives were affected by their well-connected, disgusting mother.
And One Was Beautiful (Robert B. Sinclair, 1989)

Goodnight, Joseph Parker (Dennis Brooks, 2004)
+
Little Miss Sumo (Matt Kay, 2019)

Little Monsters (Abe Forsythe, 2019)
+

Kindergarten teacher Lupita Nyong'o has to make up a story to keep her students calm during a zombie apocalypse.

The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980)
+
A work of murk and lurk with the occasional jerk that ends in a kirk

3 From Hell - 2019

Well, I don't really know if I should rate this film without taking in the consideration the previews, but, that's alright, this one made me want to watch the others. A rating based on the snooze factor, if not for the Sheri Moon's over the place craziness, it would be better, the acting is also alright and the plot is not that bad, but I'll forget it by tomorrow. I liked the intention of the beginning of the film, trying to impersonate the old school b-horror films, then it changed, for worse, I was hoping for something more Natural Born Killers, but the dialogue is pure nonsensical craziness, something that is the point of the author all along, I presume.

Another classic programme for face spotting...like Trigger from Only Fools and horses playing a stone cold killer..
Ian McDiarmid had a great part in it too.

To keep slightly on topic, the Sweeney film 2012 was pretty rubbish compared to "Sweeney" (1977).
One thing I did like about it was the bit with Regan going after the gang through the city. Reminiscent of Heat as it was quite intimidating.

Good Morning, Boys (1937) 6.5/10

Not as good as the earlier Will Hay film Boys Will Be Boys but still entertaining. One thing that I really loved here was the Hell-inspired set design for the nightclub. Various demonic gargoyles and, even more subtle, the shape of flames on the main door. Lilli Palmer is first seen in this sequence and she's very funny. Her character reminded me a lot of Helena Bonham-Carter's appearance in Rik Mayall Presents.

3 From Hell

Charles Manson and his 2 buddies kill people., I made it about half way through and then turned off just before they was going to be some more killing. I will say I like how it was filmed. there was a very realism to it but that just made it seem more cruel.

Childs Play

So far removed from the original in story, I'm just not sure why they didn't pick a different doll and call it something else.. yet I quite liked how it turned out and was a damn sight better than the last Chucky movie I couldn't even sit through. This wasn't bad.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets (Luc Besson, 2017)
+
More like Valerian And The Bits Of A Thousand Movies but somewhat entertaining anyway

Welcome to the human race...
Scream 3 -

what a prescient story about just how much scumbaggery exists under the surface of Hollywood, now time to take a nice big sip of coffee and see who executive produced this movie

Se diu ying hung: Dung sing sai jau [The Eagle Shooting Heroes] (Jeffrey Lau, 1993)

Bonkers wuxia parody that hits a few lulls along the way but also contains its share of hilarity

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
City Hunter (1993) - First Time on DVD

It's a fun movie, based on the eponymous manga. That one scene in the club had me questioning the point of its existence and it's pretty jarring that they don't know how to pronounce Kaori (they literally pronounce it just like Carrie), but as someone who grew up watching Jackie Chan, this is Jackie Chan doing what he does best and that's more than good enough for me.