Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

3 From Hell (2019)

+

Not in the class of The Devil's Rejects but still a good bit of fun. My wife laughed all the way through and I think she liked it even more than I did. Captain Spaulding is only in it a couple of minutes and there is no replacing him. It was sad to see knowing Sid Haig was on his last legs.

Re-watch of 2 very enjoyable movies.

Have you seen the series? I love it. One thing I hate in the film is the music, and thank God it wasn't like that on TV .
I haven't so they have to be seen....strangely, I recall the characters like Lonely and Callan so maybe its just through later references (like Sweeney Todd)...I've certainly never saw them repeated on an ITV4 in the UK say.

I haven't so they have to be seen....strangely, I recall the characters like Lonely and Callan so maybe its just through later references (like Sweeney Todd)...I've certainly never saw them repeated on an ITV4 in the UK say.
They showed most of the series on the UK channel Talking Pictures TV very recently. If I remember rightly they were patchy on their broadcast of Series 2, and Series 1 is incomplete anyway sadly. I'm still working my way through Series 3 — IN COLOUR !

I've never heard of the characters being referenced in Sweeney Todd, you'll have to enlighten me .

Children Of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)

As a kids movie it's ok I suppose
I never fancied this one.

Frankenweenie (Tim Burton, 2012)

Inspired me to add a codicil to my will with instructions that my own weenie should be brought back to life

I never fancied this one.
Have to admit I usen't to be that keen on it myself but the premise was always of interest and it's grown on me a little over the years. It'll never be a personal favourite though, I really don't like Pam Ferris in her role much for a start.

Shadows: Eleven O'Clock (TV, 1978) 7.5/10

I liked this and I think the two-year break had a positive effect. The new title music is very good, along with a fresh, mysterious title sequence that better reflects the programme.

Another improvement is that the interplay between the characters is a lot more natural than in many of the preceding stories. It's very easy to believe you're watching a father and daughter, and they're very well acted. This being largely a two-hander, an investigation of sorts and involving the sound of a clock, my mind wandered back to the classic 2002 Doctor Who audio The Chimes of Midnight. The writer Rob Shearman based it on Sapphire and Steel and Upstairs Downstairs and I think this Shadows episode achieves a similar haunting effect.

<sigh> Why can't Eggers get a budget, basically The Lighthouse is an Ingmar Bergman film it's not as good looking as it could be, it's not as tightly paced as it should be, and it doesn't quite live up to the bar the Witch set. This is however a four star film and likely one of the most inspired horror films of the year.

I don't know if the film is going to make the cut for Oscars this year but Robert Pattison is amazing he really is the standout in the film. Defoe on the other hand is just merely good in a film that should be a versus type film of two stars we get a supporting performance from Defoe which takes away most of the third act impact.

3 From Hell (2019)
I never saw the first one, but by the trailer alone this seems an attempt to impersonate a b-horror film, this should go straight to DVD. The casting seems perfect though. Will probably give it a try.

I never saw the first one, but by the trailer alone this seems an attempt to impersonate a b-horror film, this should go straight to DVD. The casting seems perfect though. Will probably give it a try.
I think it was practically straight to DVD with a limited release as far as I can tell. The Devil's Rejects was a throwback and is far superior. Watch that one first, unless you want to try The House of 1000 Corpses which is actually the first of the series but is quite different.

Dung che sai duk [Ashes Of Time] redux vsn (Kar-Wai Wong, 1994/2008)

Uneven and confusing in places but also quite mesmerising and beautiful imo

'Edward Scissorhands' (1990)

Rewatch.

I knew I always liked this film but didn't know I liked it this much. It has obvious themes of being different, alone and of loneliness but also seems ahead of it's time dealing with mob culture, mass hysteria, virtue signalling and a whole load of other negative traits that are seen online and in various forms today. The plot is almost Shakespearean. It's a damning indictment of society and morals. Not forgetting Danny Elfman's score and the amazing set design - I'm tempted to say it's Burton's masterpiece.

They showed most of the series on the UK channel Talking Pictures TV very recently. If I remember rightly they were patchy on their broadcast of Series 2, and Series 1 is incomplete anyway sadly. I'm still working my way through Series 3 — IN COLOUR !

I've never heard of the characters being referenced in Sweeney Todd, you'll have to enlighten me .
Thanks for the recommendation SeingidBelieving Nah, bit of a mess of a post from me The Sweeney was a John Thaw/Dennis Waterman cop show that seems to be shown on UK ITV4 almost constantly!