Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Laundromat (2019)

Directed by Steven Soderbergh, this dark comedy tries to do too many things. Its mission seems to be skewering the corporate practice of avoiding taxes and creating shell companies, but the uneven and sometimes silly comedy styles used tend to detract from whatever the director’s position purports to be.

Armed with good acting from popular stars Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, Meryl Streep, along with cameo appearances by James Cromwell and Sharon Stone, the film lurches from scene to scene in a semi-confused mess. It is difficult to explain the complexities of international corporate financing and banking to laymen. To do it with off-beat comedy makes it that much more difficult. Breaking the fourth wall acted as a narrator, but its frequent use became annoying.

The film was not without laughs, but it tried too hard to be quirky. As an expose it would be much better done as a documentary, without the corn.

Doc’s rating: 5/10

Welcome to the human race...
Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom -

what in the hell did I just watch

Ma (2019)

Predictable and not scary nor thrilling. Dull.

Rick and Morty: Raising Gazorpazorp (Rewatch; TV, 2014) 8/10

Pretty sure this was the first episode I saw. The Zardoz reference is a laugh, and Claudia Black is really good in her role (and with Virginia Hey nice for Farscape fans). I liked "Go back to your planet where women are equal but not really" . The hopelessness is so funny, like the inevitably homicidal Morty Jr. and the wry comments from Beth and Jerry about Morty's familiar predicament.

No One Saw a Thing (2019)

Finished up the 6 part No One Saw a Thing the other night. First of all, I love that type of documentary. True crime mystery is fascinating to consider, although a bit creepy, and oftentimes shocking.

"No One" was well done, the problem is that the concept was only weak to moderate in its editorial position: that once a town had participated in vigilante justice, it ended up fostering further crime and isolation which caused the town to depress and deteriorate.

The initial 1981 Ken Rex McElroy vigilante killing was captivating, had been widely covered in the U.S. and foreign media, and featured in several documentaries. But the next incident that was offered as proof of the town's collective degeneration didn't happen until 20 years after the original incident. It, along with several to follow, was obviously the result of methamphetamine manufacture and use, which is a scourge in all areas that it exists. Skidmore was not unique.

I agree 100% with what the townspeople did. IMO all natural law is best at the local level. The 7 or 8 local citizens who formed the bulk of the interviews became interesting characters in their own right. But the premise of the embellished documentary was a little thin. I'm sure it sounded good on paper, but by the time the editing took place they likely had to strain to stretch the series into six 45 minute episodes.

Still, I'd recommend the series, because it really holds one's interest. I thought that the photography was exceptional, and the interviews themselves were nicely put together.
Available on Sundance TV and various streaming services.

Doc's rating: 6/10

Grave [Raw] (Julia Ducournau, 2016)

Does have some bite to it I guess

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959, Joseph L. Mankiewicz)

Decent mystery drama with an impressive cast, well directed and acted (Elizabeth Taylor as Catherine Holly was particularly riveting) but also a bit too verbose and dramatically overwrought at times (imo). The premise was interesting, but the way the central mystery played out didn't pack as much punch as I hoped, and I didn't care for that climactic 'flashback' scene at the end.
I felt the same as you. Whilst engaging, the acting is over the top constantly.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★
Dull movie with some good performances and a very good third act.
It's time to watch The Hurt Locker.

★★★★
I want more UniSol movies!

En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron [A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence] (Roy Andersson, 2014)

Unfortunately primarily made me reflect on how I might possibly have spent the time instead

Unregistered User
Great recommendation this. Charting the adventures of Russian rock bands Kino and Zoopark and the underground rock scene in Leningrad in the 80s. I really enjoyed the musical interlude type scenes, and though I thought they were a gimmick at first, I ended up loving them and wanting more. It's a beautifully shot film that is at times funny, beautiful, quirky, whimsical, romantic and poignant. The tone of the film wavers but doesn't distract. It uses the semi biographical nature as a backdrop to the changes in the USSR. New regimes replacing old ones etc.I went in blind to this movie, and came out stunned. Agree with your rating - maybe even higher. One of the best of the year. Exceptional.

Really glad you liked it. After watching I knew it would be right down your street.

Callan (1974)

Film version on the Edward Woodward Secret Service vehicle. Lots of good action and one liners. Very 70s, Callan managing to look menacing in a brown suit and suede slip-ons ) Very enjoyable film and some face-spotting also (a bizarrely dubbed David Prowse just seems insane as the rest of the film is so gritty). Most enjoyable way to spend a Monday afternoon.

Weekend re-watch:

1st re-watch...This respectable 2009 remake of the 1980 film did not quite hold up as well on its re-watch, but it provides more than passable entertainment, tweaking the original film just enough to establish its legitimacy as a remake. Highlights for me were Naturi Naughton's stunning rendition of "Out Here On My Own" (the only song used from the original film) and the fabulous Megan Mullally belting out "You Took Advantage of Me."

Callan (1974)

Film version on the Edward Woodward Secret Service vehicle. Lots of good action and one liners. Very 70s, Callan managing to look menacing in a brown suit and suede slip-ons ) Very enjoyable film and some face-spotting also (a bizarrely dubbed David Prowse just seems insane as the rest of the film is so gritty). Most enjoyable way to spend a Monday afternoon.

Have you seen the series? I love it. One thing I hate in the film is the music, and thank God it wasn't like that on TV .

Stand and Deliver - 1988

What a classic. Edward James Olmos created Jaime Escalante, one of the most genuine, interesting characters I've ever seen, so funny and entertaining, amazingly funny actually, great sense of humor, and at the same time that vibe of what could be a very frightening, dangerous man.

I am *El Cyclone,* from... Bolivia. One-man gang. This classroom is *my* domain. Don't give me no gas, or I'll jump on your face and tattoo your chromosomes... tough guys don't do math, tough guys deep fry chicken for a living...

I'd bet this character was the inspiration to Alejandro by Benicio del Toro in the movie Sicario. Those who haven't watched this film, give it a try. Orale?

Children Of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)

As a kids movie it's ok I suppose