Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mad Max: Fury Road

Woah...

9/10

Master of My Domain
Didn't you say Alphaville was better and didn't you say it has a much better director at the helm than Fahrenheit 451 (as an example of disappointing dystopian sci-fi adaptations) then?
F*ck me. I'm bad at triple-tasking and typing on a phone.

The Animated Lord of the Rings (1978)

It's an okay film, really ambitious but nothing special. Most of the characters are unfortunately bland but Gandalf and Arogorn are well developed, I like how Arogorn actually acts like a king and how Gandalf is more grumpy compared to the Jackson version. I like how Sauron is described as more of a man than a monster as well. The character designs are okay, some of them are pretty weird but the actual animation is really bad, even for 1978. The pacing is the biggest problem, the film either goes too fast, skipping past important plot details or goes really slow, making some parts really boring. The film ends where The Two Towers ends and the ending is really rushed too.

5/10, not bad, just painfully average.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Match Point - (2005, Woody Allen)

Such a pleasant and unexpected surprise. This film starts out as a typical romantic comedy, but then turns into something completely different and dark, giving anything else away would be a spoiler. But damn, probably the most armpitsweating, tableturning, suspenseful and unerving climax of any film I have seen in a long time. So damn good, I did not expect this at all. Would recommend this film to anyone, even if you're not a Woody Allen fan, this is a film for anyone that likes great cinema.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl(2003)

Absolutely love this movie, it's probably one of the best Johnny Depp performances in the past 15 years(Although Black Mass may take the cake)

Swallowtail (1996) - Shunji Iwai (Japanese Crime)
As was the case with Iwai's brilliant All About Lily Chou-Chou, it's really hard to explain what this is about - it deals with a whole bunch of different themes and does so with a mix of genres. Basically it's set in the near future where Japan's economic strength has lead to huge numbers of economic migrants from around the world coming to one fictitious town. We therefore have a very varied cast and the film's main language is English, although there is also a lot of Japanese and Mandarin. This causes a major problem because we have a cast of people who don't speak English as a first language having to act with an English script and they pretty much all struggle. The script itself isn't great to start with but the delivery makes it seem worse.

These things are a shame because they stopped me enjoying what was a very interesting and ambitious film as much as I would have liked. If it was just done in Japanese I think this would have been great but as it was it only turned out to be decent.

+

Samurai Rebellion (1967)

Great recommendation by Sane here(also on Ebert's list), as the Japanaese films of the 60's have been a goldmine for me. Toshiro Mifune is the star but it's hardly a one man show-the whole cast is great. This is a phenomenal movie with great buildup towards it's climax. This is not an action movie as the title would suggest, but rather an intense drama with a great story.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

I liked this installment very much. Furthers the story of the super heroes but is much darker in tone than the first. Part of that is due to Ultron, who of course wants to destroy the world as any good villain would. The other part is due to The Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Wilson), who fills the heroes' minds with dark thoughts throughout a good piece of the film. The movie is all good stuff and moves at a quick pace, especially the last third, where there was so much going on it made my head spin. When I eventually buy the DVD, I'll slow-track through all the action and see what I may have missed. Still not as good as the second Captain America movie or the first Avengers but a good time at the cinema anyway.

Glad you enjoyed Samurai Rebellion so much Cricket - you rated it higher than I did You are right about Japanese films of the 60s - so many great ones. Here is my top 20 Japanese films from that period:

1. High & Low (1963) - Akira Kurosawa
2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961) - Masaki Kobayashi
3. Naked Island (1960) - Kaneto Shindo
4. Harakiri (1962) - Masaki Kobayashi
5. Late Autumn (1960) - Yasujiro Ozu
6. Autumn Has Already Started (1960) - Mikio Naruse
7. Yearning (1964) - Mikio Naruse
8. The Face of Another (1966) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
9. Woman in the Dunes (1964) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
10. Samurai Rebellion (1967) - Masaki Kobayashi

11. Thirst For Love (1966) - Koreyoshi Kurahara
12. The Inheritance (1964) - Masaki Kobayashi
13. When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960) - Mikio Naruse
14. Red Beard (1965) - Akira Kurosawa
15. Yojimbo (1961) - Akira Kurosawa
16. The End of Summer (1961) - Yasujiro Ozu
17. Kwaidan (1964) - Masaki Kobayashi
18. Daughters, Wives & a Mother (1960) - Mikio Naruse
19. An Autumn Afternoon (1962) - Yasjiro Ozu
20. Good-For-Nothing (1960) - Yoshishige Yoshida

Glad you enjoyed Samurai Rebellion so much Cricket - you rated it higher than I did You are right about Japanese films of the 60s - so many great ones. Here is my top 20 Japanese films from that period:

Ever watched a Zatoichi film? I saw the modern remake and liked it a lot, and was curious about the original series it was based on. Heard it's almost as popular in Japan as James Bond is in the West.

Ever watched a Zatoichi film? I saw the modern remake and liked it a lot, and was curious about the original series it was based on. Heard it's almost as popular in Japan as James Bond is in the West.
Apart from Kitano's tribute I've only seen Zatoichi's Pilgrimage which I thought was decent. I've got the first of the series here to watch - might do that today.

No idea about their popularity but as a series they didn't last as long as Bond although there were a lot of them - maybe around 20 in about a 12 year period in the 60s and 70s.

Alphaville (1965)

I always prefer dystopian plots in the form of a book, not film. Both movie adaptations of novels I like (1984 and Fahrenheit 451) ended up being sloppy, unorganized and ventured too for away from the initial ideas in a bad way. Alphaville on the other hand is based on an original script, has yet another great performance by Anna Karina and a much better director at the helm, but still falls into the disappointment category, mainly for the reasons above and a tad bit too much focus on combining film noir with other genres.

Alphaville was the only Goddard I actually liked. Thing is that I love science fiction so even a mediocre sci fi stuff is better for me than a good normal movie.

You need to watch Horus.

You need to watch Horus.
Looked it up and it's an anime film from 2014; his list is about 1960-70s Samurai films so I don't see how that relates. You don't need to shoehorn anime films you like into every topic even when they don't relate; that's too much of a 1-track mind

Finished here. It's been fun.

Playtime

A miraculously inventive and clever film that's constructed in a way that I've never seen done before. The stunning sets,perfectly timed comedic gags, and subtle satire are all worthy of recognition. There is always so much going on in each frame that the experience can prove overwhelming. If there's any film that needs to be studied and viewed again and again, it's this one.

Winter's Bone (2010) - Debra Granik

- Very good flick about family , courage and force. I love the character of Jennifer Lawrence and she's a true hero of real life without any superpowers just normal people and do everything for your family I respect that. One other thing: Jennifer Lawrence is hot.
+

Twins (1988)

It took me since this was released to see it, but I'm glad I finally did. Light, funny flick with Danny DeVito getting most of the laughs but Arnold does well also as Danny's twin. Not a great comedy by any means but good fun if you're in the mood for it.

Mommy (2015) - I'm starting to think that French movies are my favorite foreign movies ^^