Greatest decade in film?

Tools    

What's the greatest decade in film?
8.57%
6 votes
2000's (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Dark Knight)
20.00%
14 votes
1990's (Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption)
12.86%
9 votes
1980's (Star Wars Part V and VI, Raging Bull)
28.57%
20 votes
1970's (The Godfather Parts 1 and 2, Apocalypse Now)
15.71%
11 votes
1960's (Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey)
4.29%
3 votes
1950's (Seven Samurai, 12 Angry Men)
4.29%
3 votes
1940's (Citizen Kane, Casablanca)
0%
0 votes
1930's (The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind)
2.86%
2 votes
1920's (The Battleship Potempkin, The Gold Rush)
2.86%
2 votes
1910's (Intolerance, The Birth of a Nation)
70 votes. You may not vote on this poll

2000s

I don't necessarily indulge into older films unless they are classics, like The Godfather movies, Taxi Driver, 12 Angry Men etc. So I'd be lying if I didn't say the 2000s.

I want to say 60's because of how gosh-darn good the French and Japanese new-wave scene was but if I'm looking at my favourite films list the 2000's clearly have the most. Since the term is "greatest" and not "favourite" I'll lean towards the 60's.
I gotta admit I really underrated the 60's at first. Then I started to discover films like 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, The Wild Bunch, and of course the French and Japanese new wave. I believe the 70's wouldn't have been as great if the previous decade didn't set the tone like it did.

I have to say the 60s followed by the 90s.

1969 The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Z
1968 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Lion in Winter, Hour of the Wolf
1967 In the Heat of the Night, Samurai Rebellion, Cool Hand Luke, The Graduate, Marat/Sade
1966 The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Andrei Rublev, Sword of Doom, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Battle of Algiers, Closely Watched Trains, Persona
1965 Doctor Zhivago, The Sound of Music, The Shop on Main Street, For A Few Dollars More, The Flight of the Phoenix, Juliet of the Spirits
1964 Dr. Strangelove, A Fistful of Dollars, Zulu, Zorba the Greek
1963 8 1/2, High and Low, The Leopard, The Great Escape
1962 Lawrence of Arabia, Harakiri, The Longest Day, The Miracle Worker, Sanjuro
1961 Yojimbo, Through a Glass Darkly
1960 La Dolce Vita, Spartacus, The Virgin Spring, Inherit the Wind

You have Fellini, Kubrick, Bergman, Kurosawa, Lean, Tarkovsky, and Leone at the height of their powers in the 60s, although the single best year for film has to be 1957.

1957 Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, Paths of Glory, Nights of Cabiria, Throne of Blood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, 12 Angry Men, Witness For the Prosecution, Kanal

A system of cells interlinked
I voted 70s, which just edged the 80s for me.

Because I have too much time on my hands ...

I've taken the 10 best films from each decade and averaged my ratings. My expectation was that the 70s (thanks to Hollywood and Europe) and the 2000s (thanks to Asia) would be the best:

1920s: 83.1%
1930s: 84.8%
1940s: 89.1%
1950s: 93.2%
1960s: 95.6%
1970s: 93.4%
1980s: 93.0%
1990s: 94.5%
2000s: 97.5%
2010s: 95.3%

So, based on this completely un-scientific method, the correct answer is:

1. 2000s
2. 1960s
3. 2010s
4. 1990s
5. 1970s
6. 1950s
7. 1980s
8. 1940s
9. 1930s
10. 1920s

Kind of surprised by some of those but I guess it is heavily influenced by how many of the best films from each decade I've actually rated.
Sane, I also have too much time on my hands. Back in 2007 I tried to write down the title and year of every film I've seen since I was 5 years old. As you'd expect, the decades I'd seen the most movies from also contained the highest number of films that I considered good. The years I had seen 60 or more films from were some of the best, and the years I had only seen a handful of films from were some of the worst. I also noticed that I'd watched two or three times as many films from the period when I've been alive versus the ones from before my birth.

Looking at my data, now I can pinpoint what years I actually need to see more movies from. If the best film I can think of from that year is fairly weak, that means I probably haven't seen the best films that year has to offer and I make a trip to IMDB to see what I've been missing. I also noticed all kinds of personal biases in my film watching habits such as a preference for masculine versus feminine films, and almost no interest in children's films, or silent film.

Making lists and keeping reviews can be very enlightening sometimes.

40s, 50's are a tie for me at the top. Slight edge to 40s.
Followed by 70s. The the new millennium.
90's had that one great year of 1994, other than that good movies were spread apart.
80s was the weakest of all the decades for me. Not for being bad... but for the other decades being stronger.

Poor 1930's... Nobody loves you.
I do. Charlie Chan was in the 30s.

Charlie Chan > Star wars.

90's. Mostly because my favourite genre is black comedy(Pulp Fiction, Clerks, Fight Club, Fargo, Trainspotting, Bad Boy Bubby), other my favourites from this decade(The Usual Suspects, The Matrix, True Romance, Boyz In Da Hood, American History X, Shawshank Redemption). 60's and 50's come pretty close, thanks to couple of Hitchcocks masterpieces and all the great western movies.

With the "Worst Decade for Movies" thread gaining a lot of steam I wanted to bump this for anyone that had anything to say about what they think the best decade should be.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Woah, why did you attach movies to each decade? Also, none of these movies are the two best of their respective decades

90's is the best decade in my opinion by far.

70's. Hard to top New Hollywood. Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, The Godfather, Network, SO many good films! But I also loved the 80's for the start of the Golden Age of action movies, and the 50's for the Japanese Golden Age of film along with primo Hitchcock and movies like Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments.

Woah, why did you attach movies to each decade? Also, none of these movies are the two best of their respective decades
Just so people who aren't familiar can get an idea which decade had which films.

I guess I can agree with you on some of the decades I listed, but saying that Citizen Kane and Casablanca weren't the best of the 40's is asinine imo.

Just so people who aren't familiar can get an idea which decade had which films.

I guess I can agree with you on some of the decades I listed, but saying that Citizen Kane and Casablanca weren't the best of the 40's is asinine imo.
Bro, Day of Wrath, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Late Spring, How Green Was My Valley, The Shop Around the Corner, Monsieur Verdoux, The Magnificent Ambersons, Cluny Brown, My Darling Clementine, Spring in a Small Town, I Walked with a Zombie. Don't pretend like you know the 40s well enough to make the call as to what's an asinine comment.

Greatest decade in film?

Kind of sad to see that the 1930s got zero votes, really no love for 30s films?
Pre-Code, Screwball comedies, Hollywood Star powered films, Warner's gutsy 'ripped from the headlines' and social commentary films, the first 3 strip technicolor, escapism fantasy films....and glamor! the 30s had glamor.

That's mainly because most people haven't seen many films from there, that's the problem with these threads, the question being answered is more 'which is your favourite decade of films you've seen so far' and then you're probably counting it in terms of number of great films you've seen from each.

Greatest decade in film?

Kind of sad to see that the 1930s got zero votes, really no love for 30s films?
Pre-Code, Screwball comedies, Hollywood Star powered films, Warner's gutsy 'ripped from the headlines' and social commentary films, the first 3 strip technicolor, escapism fantasy films....and glamor! the 30s had glamor.
I'm sure there's be a lot more people who were Blonde Crazy around here if they new about it. I've been watching a lot of 30s recently and especially a lot of James Cagney, it's been loads of fun. The 30s probably has the best single year in film, 1939