Movie Tab II

Tools    

Really enjoyed the last half hour of this or so but the first two thirds was kind of up and down. Taylor is fun, and drop dead gorgeous. I think I needed more from the Clift/winters relationship to totally embrace this one. Their scenes together didn't do much for me and it is what everything hinges on. Good not great watch for me.

Care for some gopher?
Rawhide (Henry Hathaway, 1951) -

Les quatre cents coups The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut, 1959) -
+
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007) -
+
Baby Face Nelson (Don Siegel, 1957) -
+

Maybe I am rating this a bit high because I was just so damn happy to be in the theater watching a movie made for grown-ups after so many cartoons and super heroes the last couple months. I really enjoyed this though. Very good writing and performances. We have seen under cover cop flicks before but I really thought the drama of living in that world was well done here. This movie doesn't spoon feed you, it just lets you exist with these characters and consequently you feel what they are feeling. Really funny in spots too, which is always a bonus for me. Just a very good crime drama that I came away loving.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Cowboy Canteen (Lew Landers, 1944)
-
Catalina Caper (Lee Sholem, 1966)

Death Warrant (Deran Sarafian, 1990)

Hardcore Henry (Ilya Naishuller, 2016)
-

Told entirely by subjective camera and looking a lot like a first-person shooter video game, this sci-fi action film will either thrill you or give you motion sickness,
The Horses of Fukushima (Yoju Matsubayashi, 2014)

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (Alan Rafkin, 1966)
-
Passion of Mind (Alain Berliner, 2000)

My Big Night (Álex de la Iglesia, 2015)
+

After some strange occurrences at an advanced taping of a TV New Year’s Eve show, rarely-employed Pepón Nieto puts his life on the line when he becomes attracted to jinxed Blanca Suárez.
Pig Hunt (James Isaac, 2012)

Amy (Vincent McEveety, 1981)
+
Without a Paddle (Steven Brill, 2004)
+
0.5 mm (Momoko Andô, 2014)
+

Young caregiver Sakura Andô travels from one elderly man to another trying to improve their lives and hers.
Harum Scarum (Gene Nelson, 1965)

Stonewall (Roland Emmerich, 2015)

Another Dawn (William Dieterle, 1937)

Aferim! (Radu Jude, 2015)

Life is hard in 1830s Romania, especially for gypsy slaves, but it looks beautiful in 35mm film.
The Tube with a Hat (Radu Jude, 2007)

Aussie and Ted's Great Adventure (Shuki Levy, 2009)

Hard to Get (Ray Enright, 1938)

Sanchu Uprising: Voices at Dawn (Juichiro Yamasaki, 2015)
+

The Sanchu people, farmers and mountain people, try to negotiate a reduction of their taxes, and this causes their shogun to violently employ his samurai

Care for some gopher?
Machine-Gun Kelly (Roger Corman, 1958) -
+
Lethal Weapon 4 (Richard Donner, 1998) -
+
White Christmas (Michael Curtiz, 1954) -
+

It kept me interested and entertained. It throws you right in the middle of a strange situation in a futuristic world, and barely gives you time enough to breathe let alone think. It's obviously lacking in explanations and character development, and it may be too predictable for gamers, but sometimes I just want to go along with a fast-paced, no-brainer ride and I thought this filled the bill.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It looks like a video game. I hate that for some reason.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'd normally hate that too, but I have to admit to being intrigued. My fear at the cinema would've been that the gimmick wore off quickly and left you sat there for an hour or so being annoyed/bored/sick/whatever. mark giving it a 3/5 does make me think there might be something to it.

Reefer Madness aka Tell Your Children (Louis Gasnier, 1936)

Stay Off the Grass (Ib Melchior, 1970)

Marihuana (Dwain Esper, 1936)

The Beggar’s Opera (Peter Brook, 1953)

While in prison awaiting his execution, highwayman MacHeath (Laurence Olivier) is entertained by beggar Hugh Griffith with a musical comedy about his life and loves. The basis for Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill’s The Threepenny Opera.
South (Chantal Akerman, 1999)
-
The Cocaine Fiends aka The Pace That Kills (Wm. A. O’Connor, 1935)

George Washington Slept Here (William Keighley, 1942)
+
Eddie the Eagle (Dexter Fletcher, 2016)

Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton) has to overcome all kinds of obstacles to make his dream come true – making the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics on the British team as a ski jumper (the first Briton to compete in that event in 60 years).
The Last Witch Hunter (Breck Eisner, 2015)

Black Mask (Daniel Lee, 1996)

Lost After Dark (Ian Kessner, 2015)

The Best Man (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1964)

The two leading delegate holders at an open presidential convention – savage Cliff Robertson and intellectual Henry Fonda – use their own methods to sway the voting and to gain the endorsement of ex-President Lee Tracy.
Enchanted Kingdom (Patrick Norris & Neil Nightingale, 2014)

The Terrible Truth (William B. McKesson, 1951)

How I Play Golf, by Bobby Jones No. 7: 'The Spoon' (George E. Marshall, 1931)

Medium Cool (Haskell Wexler, 1969)

The last scene of the avant-garde but ultrarealistic movie, about the 1968 DNC, race relations, political assassinations, Vietnam and the death of the American Dream, where director Haskell Wexler turns his camera onto all of us.
The Double O Kid (Duncan McLachlan, 1992)

Before the Rain (Milcho Manchevski, 1994)

The Great Diamond Robbery (Robert Z. Leonard, 1954)

Ballad of a Soldier (Grigoriy Chukhray, 1959)

During WWII, young Russian soldier Vladimir Ivashov earns leave home to visit his mother, and while en route, he meets and falls in love with Zhanna Prokhorenko who’s on her way to see her wounded fiancé.

Care for some gopher?
House by the River (Fritz Lang, 1950) -
+
House on Haunted Hill (William Castle, 1959) -

A system of cells interlinked
Another Earth

Cahill, 2011

Another Brit Marling flick. Loved this one, and it might be my favorite so far in her catalog of work. Great sci-fi on a shoestring budget.

Stranger Things

Duffer Brothers, 2016

I know this is a series on Netflix, but it was short and really felt more like a mini-series or a really long film. Lots of nostalgic fun with plenty of call outs to some of my favorite 80s stuff when I was growing up. Comes of a bit calculated here and there, but that didn't bother me at all.

My friend and I started Stranger Things yesterday, Seds. I really dug the first episode.

The Frame

Winans, 2014

Really been digging the low-budget/indie sci-fi lately. Really creative stuff here with excellent performances from the two leads.

The Frame

Winans, 2014

Really been digging the low-budget/indie sci-fi lately. Really creative stuff here with excellent performances from the two leads.
Glad to see someone else enjoyed it. I loved this movie, going into it I really wasn't expecting much but it seriously blew me away. I agree it's very creative. If you're looking for more indie/low-budget sci-fi, I suggest you give LFO a gander (assuming you haven't already). You should also take a look at the recommendation thread, there's plenty there you might be interested in (again, assuming you haven't already).

I have been checking out as many low-budget works lately but I haven't seen LFO yet. I will queue that up next! Thanks for the recommendation.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Alice in den Städten [Alice in the Cities]

Quite possibly the best road movie ever made. Wenders has a gift of creating down-to-earth human drama films and making them transcendental and incredibly poignant. Just like the other two of his masterpieces (Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire) Alice in the Cities almost made me cry with its beauty and hopelessness of its characters.

Kes (1969)

Very simple yet amazingly touching film.