Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

Well, we can do French New Wave as you suggested. I just don't want to go over Minio's head. I don't really have any authority.

I have a few French New Wave films ready to be watched. Aurevoir les Enfants, Le Gai Savoir, and Va Savoir.

hey arthouse mafia im getting to see The passion of joan for the first time of arc at a theater

https://wexarts.org/film-video/passion-joan-arc

Nickname: ScarletLion

Reason: Zotis very kindly invited me. But it looks a nice place. If I see and enjoy so much as 1 movie that this community recommends, then it will have been worth it.

about: I just want to be made to think. That's all. It's not much to ask from a movie. I don't want to see a fight that lasts 2 hours. I don't want to see a formulaic movie where I know the ending within the first 5 minutes. I tend to like foreign language films that push boundaries. My favourite arthouse film of all time might be 'The Fountain'. I was completely blown away by how someone can put those etheral, other worldly thoughts into images on screen. I consider this film arthouse because it is made to ask questions rather than produced for the masses. I therefore don't think arthouse movies are constrained by studio / distributor. I think it's a concept driven by content. I have 397 movies on my watchlist and I make movie gifs and cinemagraphs in my spare time.

Boolean: Probably. But that's not for me to judge.

If: Is film art, entertainment, both? Can be both, but when it is purely for entertainment it can lose artistic integrity. That's when I shy away from it. I'd rather be frustrated and not understand a movie and wrack my brains for weeks on end puzzling over what on earth a movie was supposed to be telling me................ than be wildly entertained for 2 hours but instantly forget it as soon as I walk out of the cinema.

Other: To keep you interested, I'll do my top 5 art house films of the last 10 years:

A Girl Walks Home alone at night
The Eyes of My Mother
Son of Saul
Victoria
The Neon Demon

I,ScarletLion,
Bow before the almighty Arthouse Gods and the members of Arthouse Mafia and vow to obey the rules of the organization. I swear to always stand by true, legit and good art cinema. Always condemn the unworthy and mainstream films. Never betray my brothers and sisters. Be honest to them and above all to myself. Always follow the path of enlightment on the way to catharsis. Share my discoveries and likes with other members. Step out my comfort zone and look for new experience in the world of film. Spread the truth and get other people fascinated by cinema.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You're in.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What angelopous has the least dialogue Mr Minio
The last time I watched a full-length Angelopoulos was in 2012, or 2013, so I can't really remember them that well. His films are not dialogue-driven, mind you, so you can't really expect that much talking in them, but as to which one is the least verbose - that I don't know.

So, as a new member - what should I aim to immerse myself in during the next couple of weeks? Is there another thread I should check out? Are there like monthly watch clubs, etc?

So, as a new member - what should I aim to immerse myself in during the next couple of weeks? Is there another thread I should check out? Are there like monthly watch clubs, etc?
yes we just started a monthly watch club. You can find it here https://www.movieforums.com/communit...light=arthouse
its not requirement but if possible stop in and talk about some french new wave films

The last time I watched a full-length Angelopoulos was in 2012, or 2013, so I can't really remember them that well. His films are not dialogue-driven, mind you, so you can't really expect that much talking in them, but as to which one is the least verbose - that I don't know.

I think Ill start off with this https://letterboxd.com/film/eternity-and-a-day/
or this https://letterboxd.com/film/alexander-the-great-1980/

also I would like to be a meber but im not sure if I qualify

Thanks! What obscure album should I celebrate the occasion with?
One so obscure you won't even ever know the title! On a more serious note, listen to some Les Rallizes dénudés.

One so obscure you won't even ever know the title! On a more serious note, listen to some Les Rallizes dénudés.
thats so funny. Started an album by them today but people were annoying me. I thought what I heard was solid

They're the best band ever. You better love them, or you will have to watch all French New Wave films in January!

minio somethings wrong with me, Ive never truly loved a band. What do I do?

On a side note I think Jun Togawas pretty good but im not sure if I love her but Ive only listened to one album and one compilation

Okay, that went too far. I don't know, dude. Just listen to a lot of music and try finding an artist or band you like. Then try finding similar music going by genre. Listen to some of your favourite albums over and over again and maybe with time you will fall in love with them. Jun Togawa was not love at first sight for me, but now I can't understand why it wasn't.

Velvet, I would say finding a good music forum is a good way to expose yourself to more music. That and independently exploring genres systematically. Start with the umbrella genres and work your way into subgenres.

Check this out. It's Shoegaze, a combination of psychadelic and alternative that draws elements from Pop, Indie, Punk, and Emo.

I have been thinking about The Mirror recently. I feel like re watching it already but scared imagery will hurt my head. Anybody seen this one?