Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Yeah I agree, that was really well done. The scariest part for me was
WARNING: spoilers below
when the sister finds his mother's corpse in the cellar and Bates comes rushing upon on her with the knife in the wig and dress.
Really disturbing and completely s**t me up lol.
Unfortunately, by the time I saw the movie both the
shower scene and the scene in the cellar were things I'd seen through other movies/TV shows. But the part with the detective on the stairs wasn't and I didn't see it coming at all.

It's the way that it switches to that overhead shot (obviously to disguise the identity of the attacker) as she rushes out, but then swoops into a close up of the detective falling down the stairs. It's weird--on the one hand you can sort of tell how fake the effect is (ie the actor is like sitting on something and waving his arms and then it's projected onto the shot of the stairs), but I've fallen down the stairs a few times and honestly no other movie scene has ever quite captured the way I feel as it's happening more than Psycho *shrug*

I'm glad you enjoyed the film. I think that Psycho is firmly in the camp of classics that hold up really well even for a more "casual" audience. It even has some elements that feel more modern, like the threatening vibe of the highway patrol officer.

Psycho (1960)

I'm a little ashamed to admit I've never seen it before but I was impressed and thoroughly enjoyed it. Such a bold move to kill off the main character halfway through. The shower scene is legendary and rightfully so. Great performances, particularly by Perkins as Bates. Some genuinely creepy moments, especially the reveal of his mother at the end.
An iconic classic.
4/5 Stars.
You're right about killing off Janet Leigh early in the film. I think that's the first time that was ever done in American cinema. Hitchcock believed that would add to the audience being even more unsettled. It's also why he wanted theaters to enforce the "no one admitted after the film began" rule. If they came in midway through they'd say, "Where's Janet Leigh?"

You're right about killing off Janet Leigh early in the film. I think that's the first time that was ever done in American cinema. Hitchcock believed that would add to the audience being even more unsettled. It's also why he wanted theaters to enforce the "no one admitted after the film began" rule. If they came in midway through they'd say, "Where's Janet Leigh?"

Interesting stuff. It's a really effective move, I mean the entire story is built around her for the first half hour or so, Bates is nowhere to be seen. Obviously the impact of her death was lessened because everyone knows about the shower scene by now but I still felt the loss quite deeply. She's mid way through her journey and then out of the blue she's murdered by a character that's only just been introduced. Unexpected and unsettling. Great film making from Hitchcock.

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (2009)

It's definitely a low budget feel, but I found most of this to be pretty enjoyable. I've only read a little bit of the actual book it's based on, as the misogynist-like tone certainly reaches uncomfortable levels.

It was fun for me to pick up on which friends in my social group have matching characteristics of those in the film. Most of the jokes land for me, though there are some gags that fall flat, and the movie revisits them multiple times.

Interesting stuff. It's a really effective move, I mean the entire story is built around her for the first half hour or so, Bates is nowhere to be seen. Obviously the impact of her death was lessened because everyone knows about the shower scene by now but I still felt the loss quite deeply. She's mid way through her journey and then out of the blue she's murdered by a character that's only just been introduced. Unexpected and unsettling. Great film making from Hitchcock.
IMO the shower scene was the single most shocking and horrifying in the history of the cinema. There have been many many more since, of course, but Psycho had to be the first of that magnitude. Did you know that the actor who played Perkins' "mother" during the shower knife murder was a woman? Perkins wasn't even on the set.

Audiences of that day were simply not conditioned for such terror. When it was released I went to see the film at a matinee in a large downtown theater. I recall that there were 3 uniformed sailors sitting in front of us. When the Arbogast scene burst forth, those 3 guys screamed like grade school girls. I'll never forget it.

Hitchcock stated that once that horrific shower scene was established, the audiences were conditioned to be so unsettled and suspense ridden that it only required brief horror scenes after that to have the ultimate effect. When one thinks about it, the Arbogast murder commencing at the top of the stairs, and then the final scene in the cellar, were comparatively very short. It was the build up that was long.

One of the top landmark films.

IMO the shower scene was the single most shocking and horrifying in the history of the cinema. There have been many many more since, of course, but Psycho had to be the first of that magnitude. Did you know that the actor who played Perkins' "mother" during the shower knife murder was a woman? Perkins wasn't even on the set.

Audiences of that day were simply not conditioned for such terror. When it was released I went to see the film at a matinee in a large downtown theater. I recall that there were 3 uniformed sailors sitting in front of us. When the Arbogast scene burst forth, those 3 guys screamed like grade school girls. I'll never forget it.

Hitchcock stated that once that horrific shower scene was established, the audiences were conditioned to be so unsettled and suspense ridden that it only required brief horror scenes after that to have the ultimate effect. When one thinks about it, the Arbogast murder commencing at the top of the stairs, and then the final scene in the cellar, were comparatively very short. It was the build up that was long.

One of the top landmark films.

You're right, like a lot of great films it's all about the build up, creating the tension and suspense. It uses the shocks sparingly and they're all the more effective for that. A similar technique was used in Jaws and Alien to great effect.

I can only imagine what it must have been like watching it for the first time upon release back in the day; bloody terrifying I imagine. But it still holds up really well sixty years later, despite all the spoilers; that's the mark of a true masterpiece.

Room. (2015)

A rollercoaster ride of emotions; tense, harrowing, uplifting, heartbreaking, inspiring. A testament to the power of the human spirit to endure the most oppressive conditions and a sober reflection on the emotional aftermath of such trauma. It is also a heartwarming tribute to the power and beauty of the almighty bond between mother and child, and the incredible resilience and adaptability of children. It brought a tear to my eyes and a smile to my face without being exploitative or sentimental. I can never be a mother but this film really resonated with me; it demonstrates the power of film to strengthen our connection to the world and each other. Brilliant Oscar winning performance from Bree Larson and amazing work by young Jacob Tremblay.

4/5 Stars.

Room. (2015)

A rollercoaster ride of emotions; tense, harrowing, uplifting, heartbreaking, inspiring. A testament to the power of the human spirit to endure the most oppressive conditions and a sober reflection on the emotional aftermath of such trauma. It is also a heartwarming tribute to the power and beauty of the almighty bond between mother and child, and the incredible resilience and adaptability of children. It brought a tear to my eyes and a smile to my face without being exploitative or sentimental. I can never be a mother but this film really resonated with me; it demonstrates the power of film to strengthen our connection to the world and each other. Brilliant Oscar winning performance from Bree Larson and amazing work by young Jacob Tremblay.

4/5 Stars.

Yeah, I straight up cried during this one at several different points.

And I loved that it committed to not telling the story of the person who victimized them and stayed centered on the victims for the whole narrative.

It's the sign of a good film when during the whole
escape sequence I was SO TENSE. And yet, just from the premise of the film, I knew he was going to escape and that his mom would be found. Still I was so on the edge of my seat, I think I even went "RUN!" to the TV at one point.

I thought that it also did a splendid job of giving you insight into all of the characters--her, her parents, the little boy. You could understand everyone's point of view, even when they were in conflict with each other. Larson hands-down deserved her Oscar.

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

There's the part of me that watches films academically, and another part that watches films emotionally. The academic half of me enjoyed what Goddard did with this film: the colors, the reality/unreality of it all, the overlapping voice over narratives, the in-your-face editing/cuts, etc.

The emotional side of me? Meh. The thing about Goddard and the deliberate deconstruction of a film as an immersive experience is that it always holds you at an arms length. I really struggle with films where I don't connect to the main characters, and this film is a prime example. Were some parts absolutely fun and hilarious? Yes. And the performances are good. But I found the characters tiresome (which, heck, I think they're meant to be), and it was hard to want to spend two full hours with them.

The best sequences, to me, were the bookends. The party that the main character attends where a bunch of middle/upper class people have conversations so dull that they sound like newpaper ads was funny--especially the woman describing her new hairspray, "It brushes out so smoothly it's like it was never there at all!". And the ending where the ill-fated love affair comes to a colorful, absurd conclusion.

Am I glad that I watched this movie? Yes. Would I recommend it? Only if you're wanting to think about film as a medium and enjoy someone artfully breaking a ton of rules.

Yeah, I straight up cried during this one at several different points.

And I loved that it committed to not telling the story of the person who victimized them and stayed centered on the victims for the whole narrative.

It's the sign of a good film when during the whole
escape sequence I was SO TENSE. And yet, just from the premise of the film, I knew he was going to escape and that his mom would be found. Still I was so on the edge of my seat, I think I even went "RUN!" to the TV at one point.

I thought that it also did a splendid job of giving you insight into all of the characters--her, her parents, the little boy. You could understand everyone's point of view, even when they were in conflict with each other. Larson hands-down deserved her Oscar.

Yeah absolutely agree.

A watchable Austrian slasher that was wasn't anything special at all. Predictable, too. No surprises.

I rated it 2.5 on Letterboxd but I now think that's a tough too high. A 2 it gets.

From Paris with Love (2010)

Oh, man. What a mess. Mild(ish) mannered embassy worker (Jonathan Rhys-Meyers) gets partnered with over-the-top American spy (John Travolta) and must work to thwart various nefarious plots.

It can be really fun to watch a thriller. It can be really fun to watch an over-the-top, cartoonish action movie. From Paris With Love never seems to decide which one it is. The plot itself is not bad, and there are some fun twists and turns along the way. But the cliches pile up in a way that's super lazy and it comes off as racist and sexist at the same time. How to identify the bad people in this movie? Are they white men? Good guys. Are they non-white? Are they women? Watch out! And it's not just like, one group. There are the evil Asian characters. Then they travel to a different location and encounter the evil Black characters. Then they get down to the evil Middle Eastern characters. This might seem like an exaggeration, but it is true almost to the letter.

I also didn't fall for Travolta's "lovable rogue" character. You can tell from the way that his character is filmed and the musical cues that his behavior is meant to be charming. But I found his behavior both immoral and obnoxious. Pointing a gun at a woman and then having sex with her while she's still their hostage? Allowing innocent police officers to be killed? Monologuing about profanity at the airport? You can just feel how cool the writer thought these moments are, but for me they landed with a thud. The worst part is Travolta delivering a line about a "Royale with cheese", and he at least has the decency to look embarrassed as he says it.

The "bad boy" secret agent can be a fun trope, but here it's done so lazily that . . .blah. A waste of time. I kept pausing the film to see how many minutes were left.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Esteros (Papu Curotto, 2016)
6/10
Warpath (Josh Becker, 2020)
5/10
Chèche Lavi AKA Looking for Life (Sam Ellison, 2019)
6/10
Dry Season (Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2006)
6.5/10

Quietly powerful film about famiiy and responsibility in 2000 Chad.
Out 1 (Jacques Rivette, 1971)
+ 4.5/10 13 hours
Next of Kin (Atom Egoyan, 1984)
5.5/10
City for Conquest (Anatole Litvak, 1940)
6.5/10
Never Hike Alone (Vincente DiSanti, 2017)
+ 6/10

You might run into this guy.
Lenny Cooke (Josh & Benny Safdie, 2013)
6/10
Welcome to Chechnya (David France, 2020)
6.5/10
Viena and the Fantomes (Gerardo Naranjo, 2020)
- 5/10
Family Viewing (Atom Egoyan, 1987)
- 6.5/10

Bizarre mystery about a weird family.
Young Ahmed (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, 2019)
6/10
Soleil Ô AKA Oh, Sun (Med Hondo, 1967)
6/10 104 min
Straight Up (James Sweeney, 2019)
6/10
Tchoupitoulas (Bill Ross IV & Turner Ross, 2012)
6.5/10

Impressionistically alive doc of three brothers experiencing New Orleans nightlife.
You Are Not I (Sara Driver, 1981)
6/10
The Postcard Killings (Danis Tanovici, 2020)
5.5/10
Ride Like a Girl (Rachel Griffiths, 2019)
6/10
The Invincibles (Dominik Graf, 1994)
6.5/10 147 min

Ironic tale of political corruption and kidnapping contains bursts of sex and intense action.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
The Man with Two Brains (1983):
I decided to watch a few more of Carl Reiner’s Movies again. I think this is an underrated comedy with Steve Martin starring and co-writing the film with director Carl Reiner. The film combines the comedy genre with a Science-Fiction Movie and a Horror Movie. Overall a good watch but keep your eye out for Merv Griffin, probably still at large.
8.5/10

The Man with Two Brains (1983):
I decided to watch a few more of Carl Reiner’s Movies again. I think this is an underrated comedy with Steve Martin starring and co-writing the film with director Carl Reiner. The film combines the comedy genre with a Science-Fiction Movie and a Horror Movie.
I really like The Man with Two Brains. It's silly, but stays focused enough to keep narrative momentum.

Overall a good watch but keep your eye out for Merv Griffin, probably still at large.
8.5/10
"I don't know. I've always just loved to kill."

That is a top tier cameo right there.

so before I start my review of Unfriended (2014) I wanna say two things. 1. I am not a pro critic. My reviews are based on if i enjoyed the movie.
2. Just joined the site! Hey guys!
Ok. So im a scaredy cat when it comes to horror movies. I hate jumpscares, but love horror movies. Unfriended really scared the **** out of me. And its only because of the anticipation it gave off. I kept waiting and waiting for a jumpscare and it just ****ing happens, out of nowhere. Like someone will stand still at the camera and BAM hand in blender. Honestly, Its a ****ty movie. Real critics think so. But I have a reputation for liking bad movies. Not cuz they are bad but I enjoy them. I enjoyed unfriended. Unfriended is actually kinda fun to watch the drama unfold, It sucked me in. I usually dont have time for movies so I watch them piece by piece, taking a break every 30 minutes. In the movie, literally everyone is a piece of **** and ends up dying. I am not joking. Now the fact they put real websites in it (liveleak, Youtube, Twitter, etc.) really solidified the feel of a teenager on a laptop. I do the same **** honestly. But the way teens are represented is very unrealistic. We dont go to parties or drink or anything. We sit around and do nothing. Sometimes chat with each other but nothing too dangerous. Honestly I really enjoyed this movie, yes its a very ****ty movie but i liked it. I also recently watched the trailer for the sequel, Unfriended: Dark Web, and it looks like a cringefest, The dark net is already misrepresented in media and this makes it worse. But i havent seen it so i have no right to say how good it is.

The last movie i watched was Ocean's 8.

In the movie After serving a prison sentence, Debbie Ocean assembles a special crew of seven women to steal a 150-million-dollar diamond necklace from the Met Gala.

It's imdb rating is 6.2.

I would say it was an entertaining package. You don't usually find movies like this where all lead characters are women and on top of that they are stealing a million dollar necklace without any male characters' help.

Rihanna, Anne Hathaway,Sarah Paulson, Sandra Bullock, Nicki Minaj such great artists form the cast of the movie so you yourself can imagine that movie is a masterpiece.

I'm a big fan of Andrea Riseborough and was looking forwards to this version of The Grudge but she couldn't even save this film.

From what I can remember of the original Japanese films and the first American remake this new one is nastier and gorier for those interested.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it