Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
One of his weakest, tho.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'm curious, Lav Diaz and Bela Tarr are the names that come to mind when I think of long takes (in modern cinema) and the duration of the films (more than four hours). Any other names stand out?
In terms of long takes, Costa, Hong Sang-soo, and Hou Hsiao-Hsien until the mid-90s are some of the big ones for long, static takes, which are totally different from a Bela Tarr, Hou mid-90s to today, and Sokurov, though their movies aren’t Lav Diaz Long with a capital L..

Huh, just paid attention to this and realised that I fit the criteria outlined in the OP.
You give me no other choice! You're in! I will overlook your mainstream top 10 and the fact you're probably a Mainstream Mafia spy!

I never said I wanted to join.
You're in against your will! Let the Arthouse Mafia abuse commence!

You bloody Mainstream Mafia spy!

Tell my the code!

Tell me the bloody code!

Welcome to the human race...
Must be a pretty desperate Mafia, too. Guess they can't find too many people who need more than one hand to count the number of Theo Angelopoulos films they've seen.

“I was cured, all right!”
This weekend I'm going to host a small festival (I call it a festival to make it look important ) with my girlfriend and my mom. We call lots of friends, and we'll turn on our Projector for a big screen experience.

"The films"
Saturday:
Wings of Desire (1987)
Der Himmel über Berlin (original title)
Livre | 2h 8min | Drama, Fantasy, Romance

The Sacrifice (1986)
Offret (original title)
14 | 2h 29min | Drama

One more to be announced

Sunday:
Red Beard (1965)
Akahige (original title)
3h 5min | Drama

The Hourglass Sanatorium
Sanatorium pod klepsydra (original title)
2h 4min | Drama, Fantasy, Horror

Can't wait!

arent they gonna be kinda mad with the slow films
Nah, Wings of Desire was my mother's choice. My girlfriend is in doubt between The Horse of Turin or some other. We call it SlowFest. ahaha

My mum watched Wings of Desire and pronounced it to be okayish, but much inferior to her favourite film of all time - City of the Angels. A part of me died that day. Well, at least she loves the films of Kim Ki-duk, Stalker, Amour and Tree of Life, so there's some consolation.

My mum watched Wings of Desire and pronounced it to be okayish, but much inferior to her favourite film of all time - City of the Angels.
HAHAHA
City of Angels is one of my mom's favorite too!
Liar Liar (yes, that one with Jim Carrey) is one of her favorites too!

Are there any animations we can call arthouse? Belladonna of Sadness and Satoshi Kon's works maybe?
Angel's Egg
Fantastic Planet

I'm curious, Lav Diaz and Bela Tarr are the names that come to mind when I think of long takes (in modern cinema) and the duration of the films (more than four hours). Any other names stand out?
Tarkovsky and Herzog

I'm sure most of the members of Arthouse mafia are fans of mise-en-scène, any recommendations here? (yes, I'm asking lots of recommendations lately). What are your favorite directors when we talk about mise-en-scène?

Fantastic mise-en-scène:

(Red Beard)

(The 47 Ronins)

(The Sacrifice)

Are you looking for mise-en-scene or just nice blocking? Anyways...

A true masterpiece is not just an amalgamation of its parts. It's so much more. But it's the images that create the atmosphere and elicit the feeling of awe and amazement. All my favourite movies are those that impressed me most with their visual side. Not just merely by looking pretty, but by wielding some humongous, unfathomable power. A soul. True masterpieces do not abide to world's laws. They create a world of its own. And they create this world foremostly with images. I believe it's a mistake to think film captures truth in its writing - even if 24 FPS is supposed to be 24,000 words per second.

Some of my favourites (minus the ones you already added):

(The Terrorizers)

(The Cabinet of Dr Caligari)

(L’eclisse)

(Heroic Purgatory - like literally EVERY frame is perfect, but I tried finding one that showcases blocking best - to moderate success)

(Children of Paradise)

(Last Year at Marienbad)

(Floating Weeds - a single Ozu pillow shot is often more interesting compositionally than a dozen of American contemporary films)

(The Naked Island)

(Kuroneko)

(Noisy Requiem)

(The Bad Sleep Well - Kurosawa's masterful blocking elicits the feeling of anticipation and incoming danger)

(August in the Water)

(Woman in the Dunes)

(Branded to Kill)

(Portrait of Jennie)

(Throne of Blood)

(Fragment of an Empire)

(Horse Money)

(The Weeping Meadow - every Angelopoulos is insane tho)

(Winter Light - can't go wrong with Bergman)

(Cafe Noir)

(The Funeral Parade of Roses)

(Daisies)

(Le Révélateur)

(Satantango)

(The Burmese Harp)

(Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets)

(continued)

(Zerkalo - this is a reference to Bruegel's The Hunters in the Snow)

(Double Suicide)

(Doomed Love)

(Nanami: The Inferno of First Love)

(A Moment of Innocence - the best freeze frame ever - take that 400 Blows!)

(She Was Like a Wild Chrysanthemum)

(The Eve of Ivan Kupalo)

(Kwaidan)

(The Cranes Are Flying)

(Ugestu)

(The Man Who Left His Will on Film)

(City of Pirates)

(Sansho the Bailiff)

(Marketa Lazarova)

(Before the Revolution)

(Stagecoach)

(Sisters of the Gion - that reflection tho)

(I Am Cuba - one of the best cinematographies EVER - would be a 5/5 if not for some boring politics)

(Successive Slidings of Pleasure)

(Sex and Zen 2 - sorry, I had to )

+

(March Comes in Like a Lion)

What a mastery! You can breathe the air!

I'm still missing out so much great stuff!