The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Initial attempt wasn't great. I could only get the hangar to load and my FPS were pretty much in the toilet. I'm going to have to do some research to see if there's anything I can do to optimize.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The only consistent tip I've heard is try and find low population servers. (Part of their network issues involve the unsuited netcode trying to inform the client of everything happening everywhere...)

Definitely ask on the subreddit though in their daily Q&A bit, I'm sure they have a guide somewhere. (There was a lot of voodoo stuff thrown about at 3.0's launch, so don't do anything rash to your system for dubious gains. There was a good debunking thread but I can't find it right now, will chuck here if I do).

I think the short story is tho: You currently need a beast of a machine to run it. And even then it'll glitch the hell out on you.

Other short stories =
  • Don't expect optimisation / network improvements soon. They've been promising them quite literally for years. With 3.0 performance got worse.
  • Don't trust the bits of the roadmap that say meaningful network optimisation is coming soon. They always say that. (And they've just admitted in vids that they're not coming until 3.3 minimum. That means much later...)
  • Don't expect much more than ships to be added in coming patches.
  • Don't expect the game to work
  • Do expect to hear 'It's alpha' a lot

PS does 'Dammit it I tried to warn you!' count as advice?

In the Beginning...
Definitely ask on the subreddit though in their daily Q&A bit, I'm sure they have a guide somewhere.
Yeah, I found a couple helpful guides earlier. It's weird, though: everything I'm reading basically mirrors what you said, yet the game seems pretty stable based on all the player-uploaded vids I've seen on YouTube. Did the game run more smoothly before 3.0?

Yeah, I found a couple helpful guides earlier. It's weird, though: everything I'm reading basically mirrors what you said, yet the game seems pretty stable based on all the player-uploaded vids I've seen on YouTube. Did the game run more smoothly before 3.0?
Yep, but still not great. Most of those vids are likely hacked to run offline. Can get ok frames that way. Think CIG made it harder to do though as they needed the network testing etc.

This is the problem with this game. It looks amazing. Its bones are all over the place tho.....

(This glitch was brought to you by an errant hip bone )

Once you get more familiar with it it starts to look a lot more like this:

Fidelity pursued, ineptly, at the cost of all else :/

---
EDITEDIT:

...yet the game seems pretty stable based on all the player-uploaded vids I've seen on YouTube.
Do you remember which vids you watched by the way? I remember seeing the odd few that hid the framerate by assembling grand montages out of fairly quick cuts. It's pretty rare to see ones showing any kind of consistent multiplayer action though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
This generation finally starts in 15 hours.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I'm tempted to get this for $40, seeing as how EA isn't dropping the price on NFS P.

I'm finally playing DMC 3 again. I bought the HD collection for ps4.

I'd like to hear some updates on that. Bought the original HD collection on PS3 and barely played it.

@doubledenim - I've been playing some of the original game on PC again and it's aged extremely well. Forza Horizon 3 (although it straddles the line between arcade and full blown sim) runs it close but I think BP is the best arcade racer of the past decade.

“I was cured, all right!”
@Tacitus

I strongly recommend that you play if you still have the PS3 version. DMC 1 and especially 3 have aged very well. DMC 2 is not a good game but still better than the 'DmC' reboot made in the past generation. The PS4 version has changed almost nothing compared to the PS3 version. Only the resolution (Ps3 = 720p / PS4 = 1080p), and turbo mode (which leaves the game 20% faster) is much more fluid.

Woot, anyone own PD2?

Weee, Payday 2 VR now added free to the main game

This is the stuff, full fat cross-platform co-op. A few more of these and it could really give VR online a shot in the arm. (Plus it's a fun tease for what VR's like, showing some of head / hand / body animations in-game I believe).

As much as it's a brutal place to spend a lot of time, I do like PD2's world a lot. There's something about setting out to pull off a proper sneaky heist that's very cool. And you're always guaranteed some kind of exciting pay off. Either you'll painstakingly pull off every step without a hitch, despite many close calls, ....ORRRR (FAR MORE LIKELY), fail in a terrible blaze of glory, because some guy called Chumpy604 just had to chainsaw the main safe / teabag in front of a live camera for 10 seconds straight...

If anyone has Amazon Prime (and thus, Twitch Prime) there are some excellent free games on offer via the twitch launcher.

How does Superhot, Shadow Tactics, Mr Shifty and Oxenfree grab you?

The only one of those I don't already own is Shadow Tactics, and I've heard a lot of good reports. The GOG sale price of £17.59 is the cheapest I've seen so the Amazon Prime deal is a good one.

You'll need to link your Twitch account (or make one) with your Prime details then download the Twitch launcher and click the Prime Loot tab. The games should appear in your account.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Fortnite in 30 seconds or less!

I've seen it all now. A £130 HDMI cable which improves anti-aliasing ... and it actually seems to work.

I was about to offer you some crypto deals . Guess that does seem feasible given the housed chip though.

EDIT: Shame it doesn't work for VR. Outsourcing some GPU load might be useful along the line.

Yeah, it seems to be basically an SMAA injector, the likes of which you can download for PC games easily enough but obviously not consoles.

One use I can think for the cable is playing PS2 (and older) games on modern TVs. I've got a component to HDMI converter and there's a program which upscales images from within the PS2, but it's really hit and miss. Something like this which does post-processing might be fun to mess around with.

But then there's the price.

There's also a cinema version of the cable but all that seems to do is upscale.

Yeah, it seems to be basically an SMAA injector, the likes of which you can download for PC games easily enough but obviously not consoles.

One use I can think for the cable is playing PS2 (and older) games on modern TVs. I've got a component to HDMI converter and there's a program which upscales images from within the PS2, but it's really hit and miss. Something like this which does post-processing might be fun to mess around with.

But then there's the price.

There's also a cinema version of the cable but all that seems to do is upscale.
Yeah could be pretty sweet for revisiting old console titles for sure. Jaggies do hit the feels when you drop back into the past :/

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I started Batman: Arkham City as a PS Store DL yesterday. Coming DIRECTLY out of Arkham Asylum, the added detail, reworking of the controls, and far more open environment has been overwhelming to say the least. Additionally, subtle mechanics are very different and not as intuitive as Asylum---at least not in my initial playing.

All that aside though, combat is far easier to stack combos once I adjusted to the speed of action. The Fluid Focus upgrade is very nice as well. While spending most of my play through Asylum in stealth takedowns, I've decided to spend more time this go-around in combat. The changes are both noticeable and enjoyable, if not a bit too much. Rarely did I get a combo over x12. Now that has become a baseline.

I suppose it's only fair to concede that it was not intended that a player move directly from Asylum to City. In hindsight, development and game complexity had probably raised standards between release dates. Perhaps if I had played these games closer to release dates, my expectations would have been more realistic. Still, even with nice additions such as how the Catwoman levels break up game play, I still think the game may be a bit overboard. I can't help but get a Vice City vibe that constantly distracts me from my ultimate goal.

As long as I'm racking up ridiculous combos, I guess I can gloss over the negatives. Right now I'm digging around for Mr. Freeze. I am enjoying it still, for what it has become.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think the open world kinda ruined Arkham City for me after the tightness of Asylum. Never finished it.
The more I think on it, the more I'm reminded of Prototype. In both, the player is crazy OP and has tons of abilities to spam during combat. Then there's the sometimes chaotic, non-linear missions that open access to even more chaotic, non-linear missions that take priority before the previous one is closed.

I can absolutely see how the open world can get boring. I never finished Prototype for these reasons. It just became a goto for a 15-minute vent every few weeks. I really hope Arkham City doesn't fall into that pattern for me. =*(