The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Any XCOM 2 fans here?

War of the Chosen is cheaper than it's ever been on Steam (for the next 24 hours) so I snagged it. It promises basically an entirely new experience, so I jumped at the chance.

I liked the original XCOM 2 but not as much as I did Enemy Within.
I liked it, but I don't think I replayed it the way I did with XCOM. But that might have been because I'd already played the first one so much, and just because I was kinda busy at the time. I had been planning to return, and with War of the Chosen that's almost definitely going to happen.

Let me know what you think, even though it's mostly academic since I'm definitely gonna give it a try. I thought most of the combat improvements in XCOM2 made for a more polished experience, though I still feel like tech tree/base management stuff starts off totally inexplicable, and then becomes totally linear.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I liked it, but I don't think I replayed it the way I did with XCOM. But that might have been because I'd already played the first one so much, and just because I was kinda busy at the time. I had been planning to return, and with War of the Chosen that's almost definitely going to happen.

Let me know what you think, even though it's mostly academic since I'm definitely gonna give it a try. I thought most of the combat improvements in XCOM2 made for a more polished experience, though I still feel like tech tree/base management stuff starts off totally inexplicable, and then becomes totally linear.
I've started a new game (which I think is the intention of the expansion, like it was with Enemy Within) and it's really good. It's been a while since I played the vanilla XCOM 2 so am not totally sure if all the mechanics which are wowing me are brand new, but I suspect the vast majority are.

You also get to make your own propaganda posters.

This makes it an instabuy.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've taken the leap. I'm currently downloading Star Citizen 3.0.

Golgot, what have I done...

Report back! (If your computer survives )

On the plus side, not long til 3.1 is released...

(Look, for gods sake at least don't buy a Javelin. Not until it drops down to 2.5k in a sale anyway )

A system of cells interlinked
It's now confirmed...everyone in this thread is a far-right nut job!

How Video Games are Fueling the Rise of the Alt-Right

Before reading, take a guess at what the first two words of the article are...

It's now confirmed...everyone in this thread is a far-right nut job!

How Video Games are Fueling the Rise of the Alt-Right

Before reading, take a guess at what the first two words of the article are...
Haha. I love the G. But god I hate its Opinion section. (And actually, like, every opinion section in every paper ever...)

Also I'm getting old. My guess was 'Grand Theft'

I've found it interesting spending a load of time haunting the 'infamous' SomethingAwful forums recently. Goons are supposedly famous for being proto-4chan PvP maniacs who love nothing more than crushing the weak, products of and exponents of viscious gaming archetypes.

In the SC thread I've seen them mercilessly denigrate every sacred cow ever. But that's mainly meant ripping the piss out of any simplisitic trope they encounter, with the most relish lavished on crap racist / sexist-GamerGate-y / low-brow-partisan tropery. Thoughtless political or social positions essentially. (Ayn Rand also comes in for some very cutting puns...). I'm not sure what they are, but they're definitely not alt right in any cohesive or meaningful way.

And a ton of these guys are game devs. The guys supposedly shaping partisan doomscapes. (For some reason SC really riles up devs )

(**** knows what broader talking shops like /r/games says about gamers. And the internet. Very little good, I'll give them that. Very little cogent or unified re political thought either though.)

TLDR: ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ Most opinion articles are a load of manufactured blather to try and justify being a ̶g̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ philosopher

Sleezy, I'm worried about you. If most of your major components have fused from heat damage at least hammer on the keyboard so we know your PC is still alive

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah, so Fortnite is definitely the new Rocket League for me. It's the first legitimate game where 2/3's of my friends list is playing it and everyone wants to squad up.

For a free game....it's making so much money.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, so Fortnite is definitely the new Rocket League for me. It's the first legitimate game where 2/3's of my friends list is playing it and everyone wants to squad up.

For a free game....it's making so much money.
If you're up for a squad match some time I'll download it.

A system of cells interlinked
Haha. I love the G. But god I hate it's Opinion section. (And actually, like, every opinion section in every paper ever...)

TLDR: ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ Most opinion articles are a load of manufactured blather to try and justify being a ̶g̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ philosopher
I also think that many opinion columns are used primarily to get people clicking, for better or for worse, so the paper itself gets traffic. This article certainly achieved that!

Yeah but don't forget to post an image of you in the fetal position on the floor because your favorite soldier died after missing a 76% shot.
Oh, that has almost happened. More than once.

XCOM paralyses me with anxiety more than any other - Every choice you make or don't make has consequences and the game is essentially a series of choices - and thus I've never been very good at it.

I'm learning. Learning to love the overwatch.

Maybe someone should Tweet this to the baldy gameshow host and he can play it after watching the other video he was sent of Dan Ryckert having fun in Fallout 4.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Finished Arkham Asylum last night. For the most part. I think the two Titans and mass of henchmen before Joker was a bit much compared to Joker himself, but it was all fun once I saw the patterns. Now I'm frustrated because I made sure to chase down all the Riddler clues from the map (overview and building structures) before taking him on, but somehow I have at least 7 left in Arkham West. Three are actual riddles that I MIGHT be able to figure out, but most are hidden icons and one or two Spirit of Arkham boards. This will be slow going considering there's no one left to fight along the way.

I am disappointed in myself. For as much as I tried, I could not survive the welcome party before entering Joker's Visiting Room. Yikes.

Great game! I am curious now how it will replay. I wish I could carry over my new suit =\

I'm still with PS3 btw, so I'm curious if anyone has played Return to Arkham on the PS4. If so, how does it hold up in comparison? Worth the re-buy? There's still no need to step up to the PS4 anytime soon, but this box can't last forever! At least not with HBONow crashing on every second movie load. >=\

*EDIT*
I'm an idiot.
I never picked up Riddler's map for Arkham West, so the hints didn't "disappear." I just never had them. UGH. Well, at least this post may help the wayward soul who, for whatever reason, decides to jump right into the Batman: Arkham Asylum world post 2018, finishes the game, and then wonders why the hell all the clues have vanished. May you, fellow future late-comer, not be the idiot I so often am.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm still with PS3 btw, so I'm curious if anyone has played Return to Arkham on the PS4. If so, how does it hold up in comparison? Worth the re-buy? There's still no need to step up to the PS4 anytime soon, but this box can't last forever! At least not with HBONow crashing on every second movie load. >=\
I bought it in the PSN Christmas sale (along with the Arkham City remaster) but as someone who played the original game on PC, the nicer graphics compared to the PS3 version were a bit lost on me. It's full 1080p (don't know if the PS4 Pro can render it in 4K) with some nice shaders but plays exactly the same and is locked at 30fps.

Easily my favourite of the Batman Arkham games, though, and one of the best Metroidvanias of recent years.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I have been playing Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on the PlayStation 3, mostly because I've been wanting to go back and look at all the PlayStation 3 video-games I never got around to or finished. I've also been replaying Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (this time around in co-op) and Batman: Arkham Origins.

In the Beginning...
Report back! (If your computer survives )
Initial attempt wasn't great. I could only get the hangar to load and my FPS were pretty much in the toilet. I'm going to have to do some research to see if there's anything I can do to optimize.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.