Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
They specifically rely on the Empire not knowing they're going to do. And remember, from her perspective, the Empire has managed to inexplicably track them, which strongly suggests there could be a spy among them. So yeah, of course she's not telling people, least of all Poe.
Would have to watch again to become clear on whether or not they suspect a spy(or have reason to believe), or more specifically at what point they know how they've been tracked in hyperspace.

I'm not really clear on what your argument is here, other than just saying this over and over. So let's be as clear as possible: is it your argument that military commanders routinely share broad strategic details with soldiers? Specifically, soldiers that have recently disobeyed direct orders and put lives at risk specifically to override strategic decisions from their superiors? If so, what are you basing that on? Because I don't think you can be basing it on real-life military procedure.
Lol ofc not. There are however a lot of steps between Admiral>command staff>middle officers>NCO>soldiers (ensign or whatever in navy). Where does Poe fit in here, do we ever hear about his rank? he appears to be a leader of pilots, or commander type rank, certainly inner circle, always appearing to be around Leia/command. Is it unreasonable to suggest she wouldn't share plans with upper ranks?

You realize that saying it's a "bad plot device" and saying there's "no reason" for it are not the same thing, right? The latter is an absolute. The former is an opinion (and one I'd actually be sympathetic to if anyone could manage to critique it in a borderline normal way).

I feel like these arguments have been consistently pointless because people aren't content to just say something wasn't good or could have been better: they have to overcompensate by saying something is the WORST EVER or that there's NO REASON AT ALL for something.
You spend more time critiquing my argument technique than you do defending the film

Quick word about Leia spacewalk scene.

I personally didn't have a huge problem with the walk itself as there is precedent in the books for this sort of thing to happen. You can nit-pick about the vacuum of space not happening when she comes back in the ship, or that it hasn't been well established that Leia has this sort of power.

The problem for me was sat there thinking "ok this is how they do it" given Carrie's death, so it was surprising that they brought her back but OK. Then even worse she does very very little the rest of the film other than be in a coma and I can barely remember what else.

So with Carrie Fisher dying a few days shy of a calender year before release, why have they stuck with keeping her alive in the story? It also makes the decision to kill Luke off even more bizarre.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I actually did an hour-long podcast with my older brother about Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I won't succumb you to go through our discussion to see what I thought about it, but we do break-down the film and give our thoughts on the film, including speculation for Episode 9, and a lot more depth on our perspectives than what I'll be able to fully articulate in a post.

I liked Star Wars: The Last Jedi, at first I was on the fence about whether or not I liked it more than The Force Awakens, but I think I feel comfortable now in saying that I do. I wouldn't consider myself a large fan of the Star Wars series, but I'd consider myself as a moviegoer that has continuously been willing to give it a chance and keep an open-mind. I didn't like Rogue One and I didn't love The Force Awakens, but I still saw them and I still saw The Last Jedi. Although my older brother argued that the portrayal of Luke wasn't authentic to how his character has been established, I found him as being one of the highlights of the film, although, I would agree that what his role ultimately amounted to was a disappointment. The most interesting aspects I thought were the scenes involving Kylo Ren and Rey. As my older brother said, Kylo is coming into his own in a similar way as Anakin, very childish and filled with angst. I liked his character and the dynamic he had with her. The idea that he is morally conflicted and trying to sway and throw a wrench into the black-and-white concepts of the Jedi and the Dark Side.

In the end, the film might not be actually as well-made of a film as The Force Awakens, I liked it more because it had more intriguing and interesting ideas. All the same, I didn't love the film altogether and I don't think it left me excited for Episode 9 like it should have. Simply put, although Ren is an interesting character, I don't know if he can carry a role as the main-antagonist which makes me hope they have something else up their sleeve.

There will be Spoilers Ahead

Here Is my overall Review after seeing Last Jedi For Christmas Eve. Im not sure what everyone problem with the movie is and its bay far not the worst Star Wars film ever made. Need more viewings too rank it though with other films in the 9 films done. I will say didnt like the Character if DJ and i am certain Maz Kanata intened on someone else they just missed them. I do hope we see Boy with the Broom again. He might even be a good focus for a future Jedi saga maybe Rey takes him in and dies in the middle of the trilogy and he restores the Jedi order. Anyways Best 4 scenes happened in this movie from all 3 new movies since Return Of The Jedi. The Hyperspace As A Weapon just as the Light Saber is destroyed. Yoda takes down the force Tree With Lightning. Rey and Kylo Ren Fight Snokes Body Guards. and Luke Brushes off Dirt after the massive Walker blast attack.
I liked most of the Achto scenes but those 4 was what stands out in my mind as Star Wars moments. Finn going from Coward type in Force Awakens too rebel fighter in Last Jedi i did like.
Rogue One is still best New Movie done but Liked Last Jedi better then Force Awakens by just a little bit.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, Finn and Rose were supposed to get the guy with the white tuxedo and red lapel pin but they were captured first and only ended up recruiting DJ because they were all imprisoned together and he was able to hack them out of prison. I do kind of hope that he'll make a return but I'll understand if they don't - we'll see, anyway.

Him being there was a bit too convienent almost like he was a First Order spy to watch for a plan like this. Also with Snoke being what he was i am wondering if there was any real device but its he who could track them.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
My thought: Kylo Ren is not the new Vader. He is the new Palpatine! Palpatine also had a master with unbelievable powers that he ultimately betrayed and murdered and then went on a one-man mission to rule everything, using whoever he had to. I also don't think it's a stretch to predict that slave kid who force-grabbed the broom is going to be a new Anakin...

Sorry, Christmas stuff. I'm still in a food coma so I'll keep this brief, since I think we've all said our thing anyway at this point:

Would have to watch again to become clear on whether or not they suspect a spy(or have reason to believe), or more specifically at what point they know how they've been tracked in hyperspace.
They know they've been tracked very early, after the initial jump, since the very fact that they stayed with them is inexplicable. I expect we'll hear more about it in the third film.

Lol ofc not. There are however a lot of steps between Admiral>command staff>middle officers>NCO>soldiers (ensign or whatever in navy). Where does Poe fit in here, do we ever hear about his rank?
They have an entire conversation about his rank. He was a Commander, demoted to a Captain after his insubordination.

Whatever the specific ranks, it's a sensitive situation based on deception, and Poe is someone who'd just overriden a superior's order, and not out of impulse or in the heat of the moment, but specifically because they disagreed with their strategy! One thing we can agree on is that they probably should've found a way to avoid that situation entirely, writing-wise, but I think, once placed in it, the character's decision not to tell him makes sense.

You spend more time critiquing my argument technique than you do defending the film
Hey yo, it's not my job to skip over the overstatements and pretend you said something more reasonable, it's your job to make the more reasonable argument in the first place.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I think other then health reasons there has to be a reason why Lando and Billy Dee hasnt came back but still does Star Wars Voice parts. Think Lando will likely return and is Finns dad and Lando walked away when his maybe wife was killed and child taken by the empire. Lando could be in a place to help but doesnt until Finn reminds him who he was. No Carrie fisher leaves a good part for a Lando who has not been seen.

Sure JJ and Rian talked and JJ knew what Rian was gonna do but JJ can use this as a part truth but its not what you think because maybe her parents were Like Han and Kylo sees Han Solo types as no body.

Uh oh...hey, gandalf, looks like Joe's been bribed by Disney!

Do not.....cough...cough....do not underestimate the power of the mouse.....or suffer Joe's fate you will.

Welcome to the human race...
Wish I was getting paid to defend this movie. Like the guy says, if you're good at something then don't do it for free.

Wish I was getting paid to defend this movie. Like the guy says, if you're good at something then don't do it for free.
I reckon you are