Is Quentin Tarantino One Of The 10 Best Directors Of All-Time?

Tools    

Is Quentin Tarantino A Top Ten Director?
24.35%
28 votes
Yes
54.78%
63 votes
No
20.87%
24 votes
Maybe One Day
115 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Surely no!

In my opinion he has one masterpiece, that's "Pulp Fiction".. and one isn't enough to make him one of the best, there are a lot of directors deserve it more than him, even in this time.. there are "Michael Haneke", "Coen brothers", "lars von trier"...etc

If he can make a few more films like Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction then he will be in the top 10 in my opinion.

By far... YES!!!!

A system of cells interlinked
Jeez, I was in here in 2011 taking shots at Wintertriangles...

Lame!

I miss WT and his excellent metal recommendations.

QT still not top 10, btw. If anything, he has lost a little traction in my mind, with both Django and The Hateful Eight falling a bit short for me.

You seem to be renewing a lot of old threads about Tarantino, @KillBillLover. Anyway, what the heck:

I think Tarantino could be considered one of the, let's say, 20 or 30 greatest directors of all time in the future, if he makes about 5 (to 10) other films at the same level of his other ones and if he surprises (in a positive way) at least once with a film that's totally distinct from his others.

I know it's popular to not think of Tarantino as highly nowadays when you're a more "developed" cinephile, but his huge impact on (young and less experienced) movie audiences is absolutely undeniable. And yes, even huge cinephiles often like his work as well. He's definitely still one of the greatest of his generation. There's no denying that. He was one of the first modern directors whose films I truly loved.

But to be considered at the same heighth of giants like Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Ozu, Fellini, Hitchcock, etc., he still has a looooong way to go. I'm afraid he'll never make that list, not even for a huge Tarantino fan like me.

Who the f*** voted no and maybe???

Tarantino is by far one of the greatest directors of all time. He's my number one favorite director.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

This might just do nobody any good.
Personal preference. If we were talking contemporary/active, sure, top 10. Of all time? I can see people placing several others in front of him (his own influences amongst them.)

Uh... he's a good director but of all time I wouldn't even put them in the top 50. He might have had a shot to be listed as one of the greatest ever but he stopped wanting to learn. His ego hinders him and it shows in his work now. Hateful Eight was good, but deciding to make himself the narrator was pathetic. That voice in a western?! He put his stamp ahead of the story.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumpy_Cat.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	50925  

Welcome to the human race...
It probably helps that he's directed relatively few films so it's easy to think that he has such a high average compared to much more prolific filmmakers.

I love the smell of movies in the morning
never will be. he is too in love with himself to ever grow

I haven't seen all of his movies, but he's certainly on of the most consistent. However, I would also say Chtistopher Nolan is likely better.

never will be. he is too in love with himself to ever grow
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=58603

Yes.

Nobody can do what he does and he has enormously and undeniably influenced many other directors of younger generations.

Tarantino is by far one of the greatest directors of all time. He's my number one favorite director.

For me my "top ten" couldn't even see a place where I would consider cutting someone and slipping him in.

Ingmar Bergman
Charlie Chaplin
Joel Coen
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa
Sidney Lument
Jean Pierre-Melville
Martin Scorsese
Billy Wilder

He might be with the "top twenty"

Pedro Almodovar
Wes Anderson
Paul Thomas Anderson
John Carpenter
William Castle
Costa-Garvas
Henri Georges-Clouzot
John Huston
Otto Preminger
Orson Welles

He'd likely be top twenty-five

I'd probably put him in the top 30 ....maybe. But nowhere near top 10.