Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Will probably hate it, but ah, well. Looks like a Wes Anderson pastiche (I know, I know - it’s the cast).

Brody still very ****able, so all good. As is Rockwell, who now suddenly has a blinking tic like Jake Gyllenhaal.
The thing is an unsuccessful example of all things meta. Ah, well.

Prey 2022

Picturehouse in the shot. Delightful.
This was actually very sexy, but it’s a rare example where I tend to agree with so-called progressive critics:
WARNING: spoilers below
it’s boring that everyone in gay romance films inevitably breaks up. It’s equally boring in straight romance films, too, don’t get me wrong: but it seems it would make sense to use the oh-all-gay-films-victimise-gay-people thing to one’s advantage to come up with an ending that would be at least a bit more original than people who broke up for no particular reason at all as they felt “time has passed” and “cheating is bad”. Pathetic meaningless plotting.

Love this movie. Some of the humor is so funny.

Tonight, it was See How They Run. Done in the style of Agatha Christie, with a mostly British cast, except Adrien Brody and Sam Rockwell. An American director is directing a British play by Agatha Christie (The Mousetrap) into a movie and, in the style of these sort of stories, one of the cast is murdered. The crime is investigated by a British detective with an alcohol problem. The production is halted and, of course, everybody is a suspect. Questions and accusations fly and everybody is a suspect as the not-too-competant detective (Sam Rockwell) tries to puzzle out the crime, with the help of his sober but wet-behind-the-ears assistant (Saoirse Ronan).

I’ve always had a taste for occasional doses of old school English detective stories. This one is enjoyable, keeps it light and comes to its inevitable conclusion, which, or course, I will NOT reveal. Accents might be a challenge for American viewers, but I liked it since I’ve long enjoyed occasional doses of these kind of movies. You won’t find any Oscar performances here, but nobody’s probably expecting that, so just sit back and watch the “mystery”unfold.