Where Has The Silliness Gone?

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
So I had no idea that people were still saying stuff on here lol. My take on the matter is that I don't mind morals, messages, awareness, etc. in film but it has to be in the right place. The Joker is not the right place. I would say the difference is that PC culture is more centered around appropriation, very specific to race, religion, gender, and other demographics. Trying not to use the N word or do anything that would be equally offensive like drawing a Mexican mouse. Woke culture looks like it's trying to be offensive by screaming about problems that are real like violence, broken systems, child abuse, yada, yada. Only issue is that it's just another trend and therefore it's not "waking people up" as much as one may think. But I do think that we may have found the core of the reason why absurdist humor is being left behind.

You need to thank, or curse actually, the world dominated by the 'cancel culture' we live in today. The "snowflake" era. Everything needs to be PC. Movies like Hot Shots, Naked Gun, or Airplane cannot be made today without offending someone.

It's sickening and vomit-inducing if you ask me.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Might have migrated to Adult Swim way back when. But let's add Kung Pow! Enter the Fist and Pootie Tang to the list above.

A bucket of anxiety
If you're looking for movies with a plethora of silliness, might I recommend:
I've always wanted to watch Anchorman. I very vaguely remember There's Something About Mary and I love The School Of Rock I never heard of Pop-star but it sounds hilarious. Is it a parody of Justin Beiber's movie?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
You need to thank, or curse actually, the world dominated by the 'cancel culture' we live in today. The "snowflake" era. Everything needs to be PC. Movies like Hot Shots, Naked Gun, or Airplane cannot be made today without offending someone.

But it was only back in 2011 for example that we had Bridemaids and Horrible Bosses, which can be considered at least somewhat offensive. Have people really changed that much since then?

But it was only back in 2011 for example that we had Bridemaids and Horrible Bosses, which can be considered at least somewhat offensive. Have people really changed that much since then?
I don't think people have, but I think culture has shifted since then. I don't know if it's a significant change or just the straw the broke the camels back, but it does feel quite different. You could still make those films, but I feel they'd be (or be seen) as a backlash to something rather than their own thing.

EDIT: Of course, I'm talking from the UK side of the pond. I don't think either of those films would've been seen as offensive by anyone but the most repressed/prudish/conservative here.

Fortunately, people are increasingly fighting back.

I admired GTA for standing their ground.
Similarly I admire Netflix for standing their ground with comedy specials or even something like Insatiable.

People are fighting back against the disease of wokeness by making things, deemed problematic by the woke crowd, more financially successful. And more importantly ruining misguided woke campaigns like the Gillette thing.

People are increasingly losing patience towards the woke culture. I am certain the big media houses will follow suit. For the corporations, money is all that matters.

I've always wanted to watch Anchorman. I very vaguely remember There's Something About Mary and I love The School Of Rock I never heard of Pop-star but it sounds hilarious. Is it a parody of Justin Beiber's movie?
Popstar is sort of a new millenium This is Spinal Tap...if you liked that movie, you'll like this one.

Not to mention Blazing Saddles or even Silver Streak.