Best movie marketing?

Tools    

Deadpool comes to mind at first, but not much else, it seems like the studios are always playing it safe and boring.

My favorite is District 9's marketing campaign, as they were quite clever, posting "Bus stop for humans only", "restrooms for humans only", and "bench for humans only" signs. I remember seeing it and remain baffled as I didn't hear about the movie so far.

What are your favorites?

I think blair witch had a pretty great campaign? i dont really remember what they did cos i was so young,but there was alot of talk about it.they also made people believe the tapes were real lol

Annabell had dolls out on the street scarying the crap out of people

And i feel like one not too long ago had a great campaign,and set up an official site,and no one knew what it was about until it was revealed it was for a movie.but i dont remember which one it waaaaas

This might just do nobody any good.
Cloverfield had some pretty clever viral marketing that set the internet on a frenzy.

I also liked this:

Kung Fu Panda 3's fortune cookies. They gave fortunes like "The journey of a thousand miles begins with as many dumplings". I feel sad every time I get a normal one now.

Also, The Peanuts Movie's Wah Wah Machine, which translated whatever you typed into trombone noises.

I think blair witch had a pretty great campaign? i dont really remember what they did cos i was so young,but there was alot of talk about it.they also made people believe the tapes were real lol

Annabell had dolls out on the street scarying the crap out of people

And i feel like one not too long ago had a great campaign,and set up an official site,and no one knew what it was about until it was revealed it was for a movie.but i dont remember which one it waaaaas

I remember it. They had sites dedicated to the witch to make it seem as if the legend actually existed. Also fake news articles about the dead cast. It was all really elaborate, ha. There's no denying it was effective, especially because at the time you didn't see it much, if at all. Shamefully deceitful, but amusingly effective.

It's weird, because these days I hate that sort of marketing, yet I remember it fondly for Blair Witch.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
This is obviously not an intention marketing tactic, but rather, a very sad occurrence and I hope nobody takes this as having malicious or mean intent or belittling of the tragedies involved, but I've found that one of the most effective events that can "market" a film is the death of one of the central actors in said film.

The Dark Knight film is what first comes to mind. Heath's tragic death did more to help market that film than any movie trailer or social media stunt ever could have. I remember when Heath Ledger died, it definitely added an emotional drive to the film. I remember reading all these rumors, stuff about Heath Ledger locking himself in a closet or having these crude notebooks, basically, the idea that was gotten across was that Heath Ledger got so downright engrossed in his performance that it killed him. Far-fetched, yes, but it was an angle that really worked at the time. Some might argue that it was simply a great performance, and, it was, most definitely, but Batman Begins made less than 400 million at the box-office. The Dark Knight increased on that by more than 150%.

In 2013, Fast & the Furious hit a franchise high with almost 800 million at the box-office. None of their films had ever even gotten to 700 million before that. Then, with the death of Paul Walker, everyone showed up for his last performance. Fast & Furious 6 made 1.5 billion at the box-office.

This doesn't exactly count as marketing but I thought the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane was excellent. It did it's job and made sure I went to see the movie, it was so intriguing. Perfect song choice.

Sacha Baron Cohen usually has a lot of fun marketing his movies. His appearances in character during award shows, and such are always good for a laugh.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
This doesn't exactly count as marketing but I thought the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane was excellent. It did it's job and made sure I went to see the movie, it was so intriguing. Perfect song choice.
A trailer definitely counts as a form of marketing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I agree with The Blair Witch posts. People were losing their minds over if it was real or not. Looking back, it's kinda funny.

Suspect's Reviews

I think the marketing for Suicide Squad was impressive – I loved all those little character logos they did based around skulls.

I think the marketing for Suicide Squad was impressive – I loved all those little character logos they did based around skulls.
The marketing for Suicide Squad made that stinker look like the coolest movie in the world, it was fantastic. I can't believe they pulled it off. I still think of it when I hear Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio.

My favorite type of movie marketing is the type used by both Christopher Nolan and J.J. Abrams, which is the decision to tell you nothing.

AI tried to do a Blair Witch thing a few years later but it wasn't nearly as good.

William Castle had a number of great ideas, including a life insurance policy had anyone died watching Macabre, buzzers in the seats for The Tingler, and Homicidal had a fright break.

Does Psycho count? By Hitchcock imploring people to NOT reveal the ending (and people listening...boy, those wacky pre-internet days!), I imagine it generated a TON of marketing (and free marketing to boot!) for that film.