Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Resident Evil: Afterlife -

Ah, screw it, I might as well admit that I straight-up like these movies.
Guess this must be your "Crank" in way, because MY GOD did I hate this film...

And actually, I can enjoy the first 2, arguably first 3, but then it became so bad I had to stop with the franchise and I haven't seen the most recent two. After Life was just HORRIBLE. It's really weird seeing you enjoy this franchise so much, but in a way also pretty cool to see that Iro does have a soul.

But really though, I'm 100% positive that you won't like Final Chapter. Again, haven't seen it, but the editing in that looks UNBEARABLE to watch.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Resident Evil: Afterlife -

Ah, screw it, I might as well admit that I straight-up like these movies.

in the spirit of being a good internet friend, I'll be Goose

The Silence of the Lambs

I don't know how to do the popcorn rating thing but definitely a 5/5. Great movie, great acting and not too pretentious either. Twisted and creepy. I loved it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The Silence of the Lambs

I don't know how to do the popcorn rating thing but definitely a 5/5. Great movie, great acting and not too pretentious either. Twisted and creepy. I loved it.

Eazy Breezy Popcorn Maker

The Prestige (2006, Christopher Nolan)

Technically, this is an exceptionally well done film, and Nolan's masterful ability of "constructing" a story (non-linear, in this case) using all cinematic tricks at his disposal is on full display here. That said, I felt (as I often do with Nolan's movies) that it just tried too much to impress the viewer with its twists and technical virtuosity, rather than create a believable story that actually makes sense from beginning to end. Toward the ending, it just seemed to crumble a bit under its own pretense. The decision to resort to science fiction (Tesla's clone machine) as the key element that resolved the whole story was disappointingly lame and turned the ending into a train wreck, in my opinion. And that's frustrating because most of the movie up to that point was excellent. I'm not going to go into the plot holes that bothered me toward the end - suffice it to say that the story, while masterfully executed in terms of technical wizardry, was not without its flaws.

Overall, a fairly enjoyable movie, but Memento it is definitely not.

'Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants'

This is pretty extraordinary. I don't often watch animated films, this however is something else. It melds real life shots and overlays animated insects on top of them. The story is somewhat similar to star wars and it really is good for young kids. Recommended for the stunning visuals alone. 8.5/10

Welcome to the human race...
Guess this must be your "Crank" in way, because MY GOD did I hate this film...

And actually, I can enjoy the first 2, arguably first 3, but then it became so bad I had to stop with the franchise and I haven't seen the most recent two. After Life was just HORRIBLE. It's really weird seeing you enjoy this franchise so much, but in a way also pretty cool to see that Iro does have a soul.

But really though, I'm 100% positive that you won't like Final Chapter. Again, haven't seen it, but the editing in that looks UNBEARABLE to watch.
I've always had a soul, but people around here love to focus on the negative. You point out the surprising merits of a straight-to-video Universal Soldier movie and nobody bats an eye, but you trash one Scorsese and everybody loses their minds.

in the spirit of being a good internet friend, I'll be Goose

Thank you kindly, even if I personally don't rate Top Gun.

Anyway...

Moonlight -

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
And actually, I can enjoy the first 2, arguably first 3, but then it became so bad I had to stop with the franchise and I haven't seen the most recent two. After Life was just HORRIBLE.
I've seen enough of Afterlife to agree.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

I saw this at the movies as a child and didn't like it. I never had a real desire to see it again but thought I may as well for the upcoming Sci-Fi countdown. There are some good scenes, and what I really like is that it has the nostalgic feel of a blockbuster back when they were something to look forward to, rather then something to avoid. It was also nice to see a vintage Richard Dreyfuss, an actor I've always liked. It also feels like a family film, but a family film that would bore most children. I would have preferred a more serious tone throughout, especially considering it's not exactly a fun movie. I didn't like Roy kissing Jillian when he had a wife back home, even though I wasn't fond of Teri Garr's ditzy character. Overall, it was alright for me.

just watched some recently

The Elephant Man (1980)

john hurt and anthony hopkin were top notch. there's only, idk, just feel not glued enough with eeriness-vibe of lynch blending with straightforward heart-wrenching drama
-

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (2013)

again, it's lack from takahata as he's just appear "briefly".
-

The Age of Shadows (2016)

ok, after macaroni war, spageti western, etc we now have a kimchi war - should be said subgenre of suspense/thriller with jason bourne-esque style in japan occupied joseon(old korea) era, hmmm
-

Trolls (2016)

It's obnoxiously cutesy, clearly made with toy sales in mind more than anything else, and disguises itself as a simple, harmless story.

Except it's not harmless at all. It's another movie in which the writers went the easy way and sold the "just be happy and everything will work out" story again. It's lies. Life doesn't work that way, and instead of making children realize that and providing some help for them to deal with it, it's all "nope, let's just sing songs, smile and hug and we'll all be fine" kind of message.

The one character who at first seemed to be a reasonable troll who wouldn't just conform to all that for no reason was, of course, an outcast in his society and was told that he needs help implying that there was something wrong with him and not all the rest of suspiciously perpetually happy trolls. And because the writers don't care about anything else other than the catharsis moments in this movie, it is, of course, later revealed that it was a problem with him after all and he then conforms with the rest of the high morons.

And there was a moment which could have saved this movie. The trolls are captured and put into a pot pending being turned into a dish. The princess realizes that they're screwed and no amount of singing is going to change that, consequently changing her bright color (and the others') to grey, which signifies being sad in this world. I thought this would mean that the Bergens (the villains who think they need to eat a troll to be happy) would consider them useless (since a sad troll would, logically, be no good for that purpose) and let them go. Then the message would be that sometimes negative thinking is just as necessary as positive thinking. But no. Deus-ex-lazy-writing shows up and frees them before the Bergens can come to that realization so that we can have our tired happy ending that's no different than those from any other average dead-horse-beating adventure movies.

Oh, and it's a musical, which would be fine except the songs are some weird pseudo-covers of popular songs, not very well executed either. Bleh!

No redeeming features overall.

I hate this f$@%ing movie!

'Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants'

This is pretty extraordinary. I don't often watch animated films, this however is something else. It melds real life shots and overlays animated insects on top of them. The story is somewhat similar to star wars and it really is good for young kids. Recommended for the stunning visuals alone. 8.5/10
^ The French series(think there are two series) that came before the film is amazing too. Only about 2 minute long episodes but still wonderful like the film.

Watched this last night:

Westworld (1973)

Amazing concept, cool characters, weirdly fascinating visuals and a wildy entertaining ride!

Unfortunately, the plot holes are extreme, the explanations are so faint and several things are left out in the open. It's such a shame, but even so I had so much fun with it. Good build up that is slow and nicely paced, actually, and the final act has some thrilling moments. That said it's set up so poorly. The relaxed reactions from the technicians of the robots going haywire is so weird. Your robots are killing off your guests for the first time ever and you are just "hm, we better shut it down". Anyways, Yul Brynnet, man... the original terminator!

So yeah, this wins on the rating scale purely for concept and entertainment value. But I'm not sure if I can be just as kind the next time. Either the stupidity and plot holes are gonna stick out a lot, or else I'm gonna love being back in this world and the simplicity of it and thrilling fun will make this a great cult classic to revisit from time to time... we'll see.

-

The Edge of Seventeen -
+

I liked this. It wasn't very original at all, it felt similar to loads of other coming of age films and films focused on teenage girls; the one thing it had that made it stand out was Hailee Steinfeld. I thought she was excellent, this is only the second time i've seen her after True Grit which is one of my favourite performances of the decade, very promising talent. Woody Harrelson was really good too, he was hilarious. God his extremely straightforward putdowns and sarcasm were brilliant. Hailee's interactions with him were some of my favourite scenes in the film. Really liked her and Erwins relationship too, i think because he was so naturally awkward and how she didn't really think of him as a potential boyfriend made it feel very natural. Plus some of it was hilarious like the ferris wheel scene and her "i see you as a really old man" comment. One problem i had was that i could see most things coming way in advance. The moment her dad was introduced as a very important person to her i could tell he was going to die, with her jealousy of her brother i could tell way before it happened that her friend would end up with him, etc. Other than that it was just general awkwardness which was of course intentional.

Good film. I don't think it was particularly original or had anything new to say but Steinfeld was excellent, Harrleson was very good and it was pretty funny.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen enough of Afterlife to agree.

If it was Colin Firth in a bespoke suit doing that, people would love it.

Besides, weren't you the one telling me that I gave out too many low ratings and should try "gravitating towards my preferences"?

Anyway...

Alien -

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I support you liking something, for a change. I also happen to agree with MM's post. Among your 911+ ratings, I found a few movies you and I agree on.