Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

And I closed my Halloween month with a rewatch of a classic...

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)

What can we say about this film? It's pretty much complete perfection. Pretty much every performance is on point, from Foster and Hopkins to Glenn and Levine. And seriously, I don't think Anthony Heald gets enough credit for his performance as Dr. Frederick Chilton. But anyway, Demme's direction is great, the editing is precise, the script and dialogue is excellent.

Grade:

Despite all my praise, there's one very minor nitpick I'd like to share... am I the only one that finds the whole "Your-self" storage/Hester Mofet anagram bit to be a bit clumsy? and to a certain extent unnecessary? Sure, Lecter later reveals the ties from Benjamin Raspail to Buffalo Bill, but I've never been entirely sold on the execution of that detour.
pne of the crazy movies i ever seen back in the day i use to have nightmares watching that movie lol

Unregistered User
Dragged Across Concrete (2018) -

Turbo Kid (2015) -

I Am Ali (2014) -

21 Bridges (2019) -

My Friend Dahmer (2017) -

Hubie Halloween (2010) -

The Haunted Mansion (2003) -

Hocus Pocus (1993) -

The Witches (2020) -
+
Terrified (2017) -

The Reflecting Skin (1990) -
+

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987):
I have one word to describe this film. Awesome!
10/10

Maniac Cop (1988)

A stupid and goofy slasher with lots of bad acting. It's bad enough to be good at times, and this keeps it from being too painful to watch. Still, hard to imagine how Lustig went from Maniac to this.

--
John Wick (2014)

A third rewatch or something. It has some stupidities, but overall it's one of the best action films of this century. I'm tempted to raise my rating by half, but those few glitches in the script and bad looking CGI blood prevent me from doing so. Maybe one day I'll get there.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture -

This biopic about Doug Kenney, the co-creator of National Lampoon, is so rote that it might as well be a feature-length Seth Meyers sketch. Starting with his time at the Harvard Lampoon and ending with his untimely death, it has all of the scenes you have seen many times in movies like it such as the montage of the magazine's rise to glory, Kenney meeting his wife and later committing infidelity, the dramatic breakup between best friend and co-creator Henry Beard and reconciliation over drinks many months later, etc. It breaks the fourth wall and makes you wonder if you're watching a biopic or a documentary - touches that helped Man On the Moon and American Splendor break the mold - but these techniques also reek like old copies of the National Lampoon likely reek. Also, most of the portrayals of the comedic legends who were up-and-comers during National Lampoon's heyday like Chevy Chase and Bill Murray are underwhelming, and for the most part, the performers look nothing like the real people. The movie breaks the fourth wall to make this observation, but that does not give it a free pass. The portrayals of the magazine's staff as well as Domnhall Gleeson as Beard and Will Forte as Kenney are quite good, however, the highlights of Forte's being how relatable he makes Kenney's frustrations with living up to his stuff-shirted parents' expectations and with stuffed shirts in general. I was also impressed with its period-appropriate costumes and production design. The National Lampoon was one of the best things to happen to comedy in the 20th century and much of its material still holds up. The High School Yearbook parody, which the movie thankfully references, still makes me laugh. It's too bad that the magazine's story is told in such a dull and non-innovative way.

A Prophet (Un prophète) (2009)

At the risk of repeating myself this is a wonderfully realized and executed film. Tahar Rahim as Malik is just so vulnerable yet resilient. 3rd time watch and it gets richer and richer.

THE WOMAN IN RED
(1984)

Re-watch. This comedy gem came out in 1984, a year that saw the release of huge movies like The Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Romancing The Stone, The Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop to name a few, and thus went overlooked over the years. Gene Wilder directs and stars as a married man going through a midlife crisis who lusts over a hot young model in a red dress, played by one of the 80's sexiest attractions, Kelly Le Brock. Very funny, very well-written, well-acted by a supporting cast that includes Charles Grodin and Wilder's then wife, the late SNL alumni Gilda Radner, with an excellent soundtrack performed by Stevie Wonder that includes his classic number 1 hit I Just Called To Say I Love You.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Love & Monsters

A light hearted fun adventure film that asks what one will do for love...well, travel 7 days across the state with monster infested woods, waters and buildings of course. Love & Monsters is a fun movie with a good lead performance from Dylan O'Brien and a good supporting cast.

The joy in watching this film is the realization that it's not an adaptation from a book, comic or tv show. This is an original story, given a good budget with a director not named Christopher Nolan. The special effects are top notch, the world building is interesting and opens the story up for more adventures and especially in a time like this, it's nice to escape a little bit. Despite the film being about the "end of the world" it doesn't feel depressing, it has a bright look to it and has entertaining set pieces.

I doubt we will see any sequels since this was released VOD, so not many people know about it, but it could gain a following in a few years.

Suspect's Reviews

A Prophet (Un prophète) (2009)

At the risk of repeating myself this is a wonderfully realized and executed film. Tahar Rahim as Malik is just so vulnerable yet resilient. 3rd time watch and it gets richer and richer.

Totally agree. One of my favorite movies ever.

Can't even see where the knob is
Black Water: Abyss - ☆☆☆
- Andrew Traucki (2020)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another irritatingly ugly zero-budget film. I don't know what it is, but filmmakers are seemingly no longer capable of producing low-budget horror films that look, you know, cinematic. Everything now has to be shot and lit like a wedding video. Sigh. I suppose the complementary pitiful acting and the moronic script full of bad survival skills do seem strangely apropos in that regard.

Admittedly, there are a handful of moments of mildly effective (if thoroughly generic) suspense, which is just enough to save it from the bottom of the barrel, but not enough for it to escape the bargain bin. If you want a decent Australian croc movie, watch Rogue instead. Or better yet, just watch the awesomeness that is Lake Placid.

Alien: Resurrection - ☆☆☆
- Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1997)
-----------------------------------------------------------

The weirdest and most distinct sequel of the bunch. For the most part, it's a briskly paced and entertainingly cheesy cabinet of curiosities, anchored by demonstrably different writing sensibilities, that ultimately goes nowhere. Or at least nowhere sane and sense-making.

That said, the Joner character is the best thing ever.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture -

This biopic about Doug Kenney, the co-creator of National Lampoon, is so rote that it might as well be a feature-length Seth Meyers sketch. Starting with his time at the Harvard Lampoon and ending with his untimely death, it has all of the scenes you have seen many times in movies like it such as the montage of the magazine's rise to glory, Kenney meeting his wife and later committing infidelity, the dramatic breakup between best friend and co-creator Henry Beard and reconciliation over drinks many months later, etc. It breaks the fourth wall and makes you wonder if you're watching a biopic or a documentary - touches that helped Man On the Moon and American Splendor break the mold - but these techniques also reek like old copies of the National Lampoon likely reek. Also, most of the portrayals of the comedic legends who were up-and-comers during National Lampoon's heyday like Chevy Chase and Bill Murray are underwhelming, and for the most part, the performers look nothing like the real people. The movie breaks the fourth wall to make this observation, but that does not give it a free pass. The portrayals of the magazine's staff as well as Domnhall Gleeson as Beard and Will Forte as Kenney are quite good, however, the highlights of Forte's being how relatable he makes Kenney's frustrations with living up to his stuff-shirted parents' expectations and with stuffed shirts in general. I was also impressed with its period-appropriate costumes and production design. The National Lampoon was one of the best things to happen to comedy in the 20th century and much of its material still holds up. The High School Yearbook parody, which the movie thankfully references, still makes me laugh. It's too bad that the magazine's story is told in such a dull and non-innovative way.
The documentary Dead Stoned Brilliant Dead covers all of the essential points, with lots of archival material rather than today's C-list playing comedian-hero karaoke. It's invaluably preferable.

The documentary Dead Stoned Brilliant Dead covers all of the essential points, with lots of archival material rather than today's C-list playing comedian-hero karaoke. It's invaluably preferable.
Thanks, I've actually already seen that and should have known better that the biopic is rarely better than the documentary.

Alien: Resurrection - ☆☆☆
- Jean-Pierre Jeunet (1997)
-----------------------------------------------------------

The weirdest and most distinct sequel of the bunch. For the most part, it's a briskly paced and entertainingly cheesy cabinet of curiosities, anchored by demonstrably different writing sensibilities, that ultimately goes nowhere. Or at least nowhere sane and sense-making.

That said, the Joner character is the best thing ever.
I've always said that this is a poor Alien sequel, but a pretty solid sci-fi. There are a lot of sequences I like that I consider to be well executed and tense: the underwater chase, the whole Leland Orser bit, and the scene where Ripley finds the other clones... but other than that, the premise is a stretch, the tone felt way off when paired with the previous films, and the last act is a mess. I'd probably agree on the rating, maybe an additional half-star.

Lady Snowblood: Love Song of Vengeance, 1974

Following the events of the first film, Lady Snowblood gets pulled into a plot by the Japanese secret police to take down an anarchist leader. As she spends time with the man and his wife under the guise of working as a maid, she becomes more sympathetic to their cause.

This film was . . . different from what I expected. It starts out just as you'd hope and imagine, with great action sequences, including the beach showdown pictured above. But then it becomes a different beast. Lady Snowblood shifts from being an active protagonist to being more of an (often passive) bystander. There's a lot of waiting, watching, and listening.

It was strange to try and process this movie as I watched it. There were several sequences that I liked (including a scene in which Lady Snowblood overhears the anarchist and his wife having sex with each other, her expression unreadable but perhaps a bit longing). There were also several sequences that I found very hard to watch--including multiple scenes of explicit and bloody political torture. The violence of the torture scenes was shocking--as I'm sure was the intent--but they went on for so long and were so graphic that I felt myself disconnecting a bit from the story just out of emotional self-preservation.

The finale of the film leans back into the action side of things, though it's a more complex and bleak final showdown than in the first film. The imagery and use of color is really stunning, though the way that the film shifts between something more real feeling and something more outlandish gave me a bit of whiplash. I did appreciate that the film didn't take a really obvious path of creating a romantic rivalry between Lady Snowblood and the anarchist's wife--in fact, the character of the wife is given more to do than you might expect. Overall the film tends to develop relationships and histories more deeply than I anticipated. Definitely something I need to revisit sometime in the future.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Below Her Mouth (2016)

We supplied gear for this movie and it was only women who came in to pick it up. I asked the key grip what the film was about and she simply said it's an all female crew lesbian soft core flick.

....I've seen some scenes......

The Life of Oharu (1952) -

WARNING: spoilers below
This film and Sansho the Bailiff are the only two films I've seen from Mizoguchi. Sansho immediately blew me away with my first viewing, while, with this one, it's been slowly growing on me over the past couple days and I may grow to like it some more in the future. Though the outcome seemed preordained, an undercurrent of suspense still permeated the film in terms of "Will she finally have luck this time?". That certain characters recurred throughout the various "episodes" kept me wondering this throughout the film despite any doubts I had. Some segments were shorter than others, but each of them remained compelling, with my favorites being her time with Lord Matsudaira, the bald woman, and her time at the Convent. The ending also resonated with me for a while. Being imprisoned for life would've been the culmination to her struggles, yet she managed to escape from them, making that the only significant time something went her way in the film. However, is the outcome she ended up with, a wandering nun, good? Like, it's certainly a preferable outcome, but it's still a significant decline from her initial status at the start. It seemed like Mizoguchi was being simultaneously sympathetic and unsympathetic towards her with the ending.

Scream and Scream Again - 1970 hybrid (that's a kind way of putting it) with a jumbled sort of plot. It's part political thriller and part police investigation with some sci-fi and horror mixed in. And yes, it's sometimes as confusing as it sounds. London police are after a serial killer that drains the victims of blood. They're young women picked up in clubs. But then there's also a weird nurse tending to a guy who keeps waking up to find he's lost another limb. Throw in an agent of a Communist/East German sort of regime that's somehow involved. Oh yeah, and the "vampire killer" also has super strength. These threads all manage to get tied up together by the end. The movie also uses the star power of three horror icons to draw people in. Peter Cushing is only around for a few minutes though and doesn't share any screentime with either Christopher Lee or Vincent Price. They as well only have a quick scene together towards the end. Despite all this it still wasn't all that bad. 75/100