Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Halloween (2007):
For a film remaking one of my favourite movies, it turned out pretty good on rewatch, I had a good time with it and enjoyed the gore and TNA throughout. Not as great as the original, but still a good horror movie.
8.5/10
i wonder if halloween kills gonna be a good movie . its releasing next yr oct

Bronx (2020)
aka Rogue City

A little hard to follow French crime film about corrupt cops and drug lords (it's hard to follow because there are so many players and so little time to let you know them all). It reminds me of The Shield series but with worse characters. Not exactly bad but somewhat dull.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
i wonder if halloween kills gonna be a good movie . its releasing next yr oct
Probably will, judging by the trailer

It's the time of the year to haul out that old pot-boiler of a movie, Bram Stoker's Dracula, an interesting piece of historical-literary revisionism. The actual book, owing to it's Victorian England limitations is tame by comparison, but compared to most vampire movies, this one stays closer to an updated feel of the original than other vampire flicks. Gary Oldman completely chews the scenery, from beginning to end as the unrepentant blood sucker.

Tom Waits (the singer-songwriter) is brilliant as the best Renfield since Dwight Frye, Winona Ryder nails the frail Mina, as does Sadie Frost as Lucy and Anthony Hopkins turns Van Helsing into a raging half-nuts holy man. Keanu Reeves is perfect as the naive, but sincere Jonathan. It's minimal on digital FX and maximal on old-school stage craft, as well as creepy backwards sounds and video. Francis Ford Coppola really pulled out the stops for this.

The prologue evokes the much more grisly, actual historical exploits of the actual Dracula, AKA Vlad Tepes from the 15th century, a plot element added since Stoker wrote his book.

Great stuff for Halloween.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Holidate (John Whitesell, 2020)
6/10
Hollow Scream (Jose Barajas, 2018)
3/10
Haunting of the Mary Celeste (Shana Betz, 2020)
- 5/10
Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb (James Tovell, 2020)
6.5/10

Recent excavation of an Egyptian tomb finds many pristine artifacts and more than a few surprises and mysteries.
The Place of No Words (Mark Webber, 2019)
6/10
The Young Observant (Davide Maldi, 2019)
5/10
Alone (Johnny Martin, 2020)
5.5/10
A Most Beautiful Thing (Mary Mazzio, 2020)
6.5/10

Students in the dangerous West Side of Chicago learn how rowing makes their lives better, as well as their families and neighborhood.
Rogue City AKA Bronx (Olivier Marchal, 2020)
5/10
The Perfect Weapon (John Maggio, 2020)
6.5/10
Menendez: The Day of the Lord (Santiago Alvarado, 2020)
5/10
His House (Remi Weekes, 2020)
6/10

Sudanese couple Sope Dirisu & Wunmi Mosaku seek asylum in England but must battle a spirit which has followed them to their government-assigned house.
Señorita Justice (Kantz, 2004)
4/10
The Walking Dead (Michael Curtiz, 1936)
+ 5/10
Sarah Cooper: Everything's Fine (Natasha Lyonne, 2020)
6.5/10
Dos monjes AKA Two Monks (Juan Bustillo Oro, 1934)
5.5/10

A monk kills another but what caused it? The 2nd Mexican horror movie.
Reflections (Goran Markovic, 1987)
6/10
The Return of Doctor X (Vincent Sherman, 1939)
5/10
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)
6.5/10
The Rat Savior (Krsto Papic, 1976)
6/10

Sorta Invasion of the Body Snatchers with human rats instead of Pod People.

Luce (2019)

Second viewing, but I didn’t really get into it the first time. Still a bit too much of a ‘talkie’ for my liking, but it’s not a bad film. I just wished it had more of a story and a clearer plot line, as opposed to the kind of linear progression that it does have. Octavia Spencer was great, and, interestingly, I and the friend I was watching this with both found ourselves rooting for her instead of Luce, which I’m not sure was the intention.

(2017)

First viewing. An excellent suspense thriller produced by Netflix and based on a novella by the genius Stephen King. Compelling and original with excellent performances.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Island of Lost Souls -

This is a slightly loose adaptation of The Island of Dr. Moreau with alterations such as making the hero a man who is waylaid on the island while going to his wedding and adding an irresistable panther woman, Lota, to tempt him. Despite these changes, it does a good job at capturing the essence of the book. Besides including Dr. Moreau's reasoning behind his experiments and having him express how empowered and joyful he feels to play God, it has the iconic "are we not men?" chant. It also has the benefit of a very good-looking and well-realized island compound and strong performances, most notably Charles Laughton's delightfully smug portrayal of Moreau and Bela Lugosi in a small but memorable role as a wolfman who leads the chant. While it does explore the science of its source material - I liked the way it did this, but would have preferred a bit more - it is an action and adventure movie first and foremost, so those who enjoyed the book for the former more than the latter may be disappointed. Regardless, considering the bad reputations of the 1977 and 1996 adaptations, at least we have this one.

The Outfit (1973)

2nd time watching. Neat and nifty noir thriller with Robert Duvall, Joe Don Baker and Karen Black. Has a good "hard boiled" look about it and the script lives up to that. Never boring and the violent scenes are well realised. Reminded me a lot of "Prime Cut" with Lee Marvin in atmosphere if not storyline.

Relic (2020)

I appreciate this is (trying to be) a competent study of ageing and decay, mental and physical. It definitely has a heart (somewhere, very well hidden). But at the same time, I felt the horror aspect was pretty basic, rooted in the physicality of ageing, instead of its more profound psychological manifestations. Ironically, that, to me, felt juvenile and kind of tone-deaf. It is of course a long-lasting tradition to demonise age in horror and outside it, but that doesn’t mean it works, especially if the story is neglected. This film reminded me of Marjorie Prime (2017). I felt Marjorie Prime only just about belonged in sci-fi, soft sci-fi though it may be. But it did a better job, because the sci-fi angle was
WARNING: spoilers below
inextricably linked to the characters’ emotional experiences of death. Hence the need for the androids that allow the children and families of the recently deceased to communicate their frustration and whatever was left unsaid.

But Relic really should have been a drama instead of horror, in which case, it might have at least felt less exploitative. As it is, my impression was that the writer and the younger characters were all afraid of ageing and age - which is fine, but the film doesn’t seem to make a point or come to any conclusion, other than that the elderly character inevitably dies. It probably works as a study of death and the way the inner circle processes it, but that’s about it.

It's the time of the year to haul out that old pot-boiler of a movie, Bram Stoker's Dracula, an interesting piece of historical-literary revisionism.
I'm a fan, and all of that Oldman ruminant is the glue that holds it all together.

I'm also a fan of B&W viewings, and this film looks splendid in monochrome, for a spin on a rewatch.

Winona Ryder nails the frail Mina....

Keanu Reeves is perfect as the naive, but sincere Jonathan.
I admire your generosity and kind of see where you're coming from. But I still think that Keanu is helplessly stiff and Winona, well, I guess I'll just blame the valium.

Borat 2

10/10 no discussion required.

The Aristocats, 1970

I watched this film for the 2020 film challenge. It is the last "classic Disney" feature that I hadn't yet seen.

I mean, meh.

The animation is charming, but it feels very much like an echo of other films. The cats' owner looks exactly like Cinderella's wicked stepmother, and a mouse character looks very much like one of Cinderella's little helpers. I recognized several voices from the Disney animated Robin Hood (especially the lead male actor, who played both Little John and Baloo). The music is pleasant, but largely forgettable. I know the tune "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" from having watched the trailer for the movie a thousand times when I was a kid. I actually learned the serviceable "Scales and Arpeggios" song on the piano as a kid because we had a Disney movie songbook.

Special shout-out to the most over-the-top Chinese caricature I've ever seen (I had concerns when I saw a very white looking name credited next to "Chinese cat" in the opening credits but . . . I was not prepared).

The very definition of a shrug, and the racism keeps it from being something I'd revisit or want to show to a kid, especially when there are so many other good options.

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

Great interplay, comedy and drama...RIP Mr Connery.