The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have intended to watch Sansho the Bailiff for years but just haven't got round to it yet.

Same. I think I confused that with another movie with Mifune, where he plays two sides against each other (and turned it off)

Blue was my 19. I rewatched it last year. I love the tone and the use of color. A great performance by one of my favorite actresses. Between Blue and A Short Film About Killing for my favorite Kielowski. Blue may have won because I watched it more recently or because I knew it would make the list, or both.

Really enjoyed Sansho on my second watch. Great parable with great cinematography. 4 star movie but not a favorite and didn’t make my list.

Watched La Haine last night. Another 4 star flick. I don’t know if enjoyed is the right word, but it’s done well in every aspect and remains maddeningly relevant. Wouldn’t have made my list but it’s well worthy here.

Nobody voted for Three Colours: White.
The forgotten middle child.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Re: Battle of Algiers. Surprised (then again, not surprised) some people find problems with what I wrote about the film. You can criticize a film for being propaganda while not being an inherently evil pro-imperialist. While the conflict itself is complicated, its depiction in this particular film is way too skewed to not call it pro-FLN. Notice how the film portrays the French. Their looks. Their behavior. It's a great film but it's far from subtle in signaling who the filmmaker sides with.
That wasn't the part I was questioning.

But it's okay no big dealio, Minio. I still like you.

Sansho the Bailiff was #12 on my ballot. When I first saw it, I was blown away, but had trouble articulating why. There were the powerful and tragic character arcs of Zushio and Anju, the mysterious symbolism of the water, and the strong emotional connection I had with the film. Eventually, I began to realize how transcendent the film was with its portrayal of nature. Mizoguchi simultaneously finds both beauty and horror in the natural world - whether that be when Zushio and Anju's family gets captured or how a song their mother wrote about their kids is mysteriously carried across the water - and gets you to appreciate both. As a result, this film feels caught between reality and a dream.

I gave a brief summary of my thoughts on Blue upthread when talking about Red, but to restate and somewhat expand upon them, I like Binoche's performance, I find the opening 10-15 minutes or so to be quite powerful, and a few other scenes within the film resonated with me a decent bit. For the most part though, I was left emotionally cold by it. Red is my favorite film from the franchise (it left me cold to some degree, but not nearly as much) and White is my least favorite. Also, despite having watched both Red and Blue twice, I still suspect that I missed an overarching theme which runs throughout the trilogy that provides significance for the mysterious bits and the way the films are connected to each other. I suppose I could rewatch the trilogy sometime in the future to see if I respond differently to it. In short, The Double Life of Veronique is my favorite of Kieslowski's films.

Updated ballot:

12. Sansho the Bailiff (1954, Mizoguchi) #50
16. The Battle of Algiers (1966, Pontecorvo) #56
19. The Mirror (1975, Tarkovsky) #86
21. Red Desert (1964, Antonioni) #64
23. Vampyr (1932, Dreyer) #84

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Not much to say. Sansho is a good, spiritual movie, but I don't react to it quite the way some others do. So watch that and forgive me for all my flaws. I like Blue fine, not as much as Red. The whole trilogy should be watched. No votes.

Sansho The Bailiff is excellent, happy to see it here, very nearly made my ballot. Three Colours: Blue is also very good but I only voted for the previous entry that appeared.

Seen: 37/52 (Own: 24/52)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
48. Spalovac mrtvol [The Cremator] (1969)
47. Låt den rätte komma in [Let The Right One In] (2008)

Sansho the Bailiff was my #4. It's just frigging beautiful. And painful and amazing.

Three Colours Blue was my #9. juliette Binoche's performances in that film is one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. Kieslowski was a master. In one shot a sugar cube soaks up some coffee. Kieslowski tried something like 7 different brands of sugar cube until he found one that soaked up coffee in just the right amount of seconds for the shot. A perfectionist.

Welcome to the human race...
My post was supposed to be a cinephilic version of this guy at a party who asks you "You never heard of Fishmans, really, man?". I know you haven't. Jeez.
Whatever, man, it's been a long season.

Anyway, didn't vote for this latest pair. I've only seen Sansho the once (kind of an unofficial rule that I didn't vote for anything I'd only seen once) but I liked it a lot and it's probably my favourite of the Mizoguchi that I have seen. As mentioned previously, I've only seen the Three Colours trilogy once - wasn't as hot on Blue as I expected, but I'm definitely willing to give it another shot.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sansho is my #1. Possible top ten all time candidate and in all honesty a crime it barely cracked top 50 IMO. Spells doom for some of my other picks.

Sansho the Bailiff is yet another great film I caught up with back in May. Had it on my short list, but ultimately didn't vote for it. However, I really loved it (here's my review).

I haven't seen any of the Colors trilogy, or any Kieślowski for that matter. I know, I know, my illegal cinephile card has been cut in half.

My Summary:

Seen: 16/52
My list: 3/25

My List  

Looking at my list, I think only four or five more films I voted for will make the cut for a total of 9 or 10. That's actually a pretty good ratio for me considering how a lot of past lists have gone.

My prediction for my ballot:

1. Won't make it
2. The Skin I Live In (#92)
3. Won't make it
4. Won't make it
5. Won't make it
6. Won't make it

7. Will make it
8. Paprika (#100)
9. The Celebration (#51)
10. Won't make it
11. Maybe
12. Won't make it
13. Will make it
14. Won't make it
15. Maybe
16. Won't make it
17. Maybe
18. Won't make it
19. Will make it
20. Won't make it
21. Won't make it
22. La Haine (#53)
23. Raise the Red Lantern (#91)
24. Won't make it
25. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (One pointers)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Three Colours: Red is my favorite of the Colors Trilogy. Not a favorite Kieslowski, though. That would be Amator, I guess!

La Haine is OK.

Tokyo Story is one of the most important films ever made, but it doesn't make it one of the best films ever made. Tokyo Twilight, Floating Weeds and Late Spring are all better Ozu films. That being said, it's still a wonderful masterpiece, and here's what I wrote about it when I rewatched it earlier this year:

Tokyo Story (1953) [REWATCH]

"It's dawn and the sun is out. It's going to be hot today, isn't it?"

The challenge one faces when attempting to write about a legend is that firstly, the legend is well known and therefore many have studied it to death, and secondly, the legend is worshipped, and therefore one has to find a way to bypass its status of a masterpiece and tackle it on a more personal level. The legend is Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story, and the personal approach is perhaps the only way to write about the film and still create an interesting piece of text.

I first watched Tokyo Story back in March 2013. I'm quite sure it was my first Ozu film and a sort of gateway to Japanese cinema. It was by no means the first Japanese film I have ever seen but certainly the first of this kind. I remember liking it very much but still leaving with a 'that's it?' sort of impression. Rewatching it now, almost 8 years later, I confirm - yes, that's it! But after numerous other Ozus, Naruses, Yamadas, Goshos, Shimizus et al, that 'it' took on some inexplicable, deep meaning. Back in the day I watched other Ozu films and liked them more than Tokyo Story. Perhaps I still do. But that's beside the point.

I come from a very small family and one that seems to get smaller each year. I never felt that way before but recently I've been finding myself moved by cinematic depictions of families, especially in Japanese cinema. Of course, it's best when the depicted family is a perfect one - that's when my heart starts racing. But usually, this is not the case. As much as the importance of both love and family have grown in my eyes tremendously, the idea that family is family no matter how bad its members are is largely lost on me. It's too idealistic even to me. However, the idea that a black sheep can still reunite with their loved ones... When depicted skillfully and with a lot of heart like in Yoji Yamada's About Her Brother, now that's touching and relatable in some ways. But Tokyo Story is not about that.

The most surface-level meaning to Tokyo Story, to put it as ambiguously as possible, is that one should keep close to their family before it's too late. Then, you have a lot of other observations and meanings to the film, both apparent and hidden, that I'd rather not mention in detail here so as not to ruin the experience of those of you who still haven't seen this film (seriously, what are you waiting for?!). I'm not intending to enter into polemics with the film's message. As long as I believe that you ought to keep close to those you love, not all of us are fortunate enough to have their beloved ones in their family. Another point, children are entitled to their own lives and do not owe anything to their parents - a point the film is not denying. I believe the film is downright saying this but still focusing on the feelings of the parents. That's perhaps what makes it so powerful and humane.

Ozu's approach is original even though it's just your usual shōshimin eiga that was quite popular at the time. But Ozu ignores the 180-degree rule. Ozu tells the story like nobody before him but many after. The things he talks about - sure, say, the idea that the bonds of love are stronger than the bonds of blood. Naruse did that as early as in 1932 in his beautiful silent No Blood Relation. But the way Ozu talks about it. Or rather how he doesn't talk about it at all but shows it - that's interesting. And how Chishu Ryu's character copes with loss. How he utters "It's dawn and the sun is out. It's going to be hot today, isn't it?". There is not a hint of melodrama in that but it hits you hard all the same. This is pure melancholy.

So perhaps Mizoguchi was right to praise Ozu and say what Ozu does is much more mysterious than Mizoguchi's own films. After all, Ozu's films are, or at least this film - Tokyo Story is, pretty straightforward. But Ozu's films are all about life. And what's more mysterious than life?

Two weeks ago I rewatched Tokyo Story, a film mostly composed of gorgeous static shots with the camera placed relatively low so as to imitate the point of view of a person sitting on the floor. I especially loved the pillow shot portraying three-or-so women in kimonos standing on the bridge. Quite breathtaking! All actors give convincing performances. Chishu Ryu and Chieko Higashiyama create perhaps the most charming couple of all time! And Setsuko Hara - what a charming flower she is! A morning glory of film! And definitely a more presentable morning glory than that of my own. Oh, how I love Japanese films that evoke mono no aware. Makes me want to watch Shimizu's Ornamental Hairpin again. Makes me want to watch other Ozu films, other movies from the Noriko Trilogy. Makes me want to watch movies. The journey of a cinephile is a long one, so it's good to get back to a familiar place from time to time.
The Celebration is my favorite Vinterberg and my favorite Dogme film!

Sansho the Bailiff is one of the best films ever made and... IT DIDN'T MAKE MY LIST. I got back to the list I sent in and scanned it, but nope. Damn, the list is more recently-personal than I thought it was! Anyways, that's what I wrote about Sansho in my thread:

Sansho the Bailiff is an outstanding humanistic masterpiece. Best Japanese film, best melodrama, top 10 ever. On my rewatch I already started crying within the first 15 minutes or so, which is crazy, and after it ended I found myself in a literal puddle of tears, and no, my bladder's fine. If you analyze my favorites you will find out most movies fall in one of the few categories that I usually champion. This one falls into two.

Is the life lesson a father gives to his children, hoping it's something they will remember and try to stick to their entire life. I know I will. These words must have been revolutionary in eleventh-century Japan when e.g. slavery was a common thing. Due to some events, the boy and his sister become slaves themselves and are separated from their mother. It's the eleventh century: no Internet, no TV, no newspapers, nothing, but there is a way information can be passed on. Both an ancient, beautiful, offbeat, and hope-giving way. And given that hope, and given something to reminisce about, there is a chance for a change of heart.

And then something totally unpredictable, heart-wrenching happens. The scene with circles on the water deems all other means of expression inferior with its devastating simplicity and silent despair. One of the most brilliant examples of "less is more". The Japanese are masters of "less is more" but also of "more is more". In general, they are masters of everything. But yeah, the finale is just as moving. Of course, I'm not spoiling it and I deliberately made things muddled or unexplained, so that in case somebody hasn't yet seen it... WAIT, WHAT?! YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FILM LOVER?! WHY... YOU UNCULTURED...

Also, the cinematography by Kazuo Miyagawa is among the best ever. It's outstanding the way these 50s & 60s Japanese films look. Nowadays nobody can top this, and I mean we have Pedro Costa who shot Vitalina Varela in freakin' digital and made it one of the best-looking films of the decade, but then we have that hack Luca Guadagnino shooting on film and ending up with a film that looks not only worse than Costa's digital films and Lubezki's hand-held digital extravaganza but worse than most and just so plain and boring that he could just as well shoot it in digital. And I hate Guadagnino even more for his b(otch/utcher)ed remake of Suspiria.

I also meant to say something else about Sansho but forgot as I was typing. Oops!.

Three Colours: Blue is my least favorite of the Colors Trilogy, but still a good film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Tokyo Story for a HoF a few years ago, and it was okay, but it was a bit too slow for me, and a little bit boring. I was hoping to rewatch it for this countdown, but I just ran out of time.

The Celebration is another movie that I watched for a HoF a few years ago. I liked it, but it was a difficult watch because it was kind of disturbing, so it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen Sansho the Bailiff and Three Colors: Blue.

I have plans to watch The Celebration as part of my 2021 list. Don’t jinx it, but apparently it’s available online for free.

I plan on watching the Three Colors Trilogy one day. I think it’s part of my 100 films to see before I die list I had on Rotten Tomatoes.

Heard very good things about Tokyo Story and Sansho the Bailiff. But unless there’s a sale on the Criterion Channel, odds are good I’ll have to hope that it airs on TCM when I’m visiting with my parents.

This is the first I’ve heard about La Haine.

107 points, 8 lists
48. Close-Up

Director

Abbas Kiarostami, 1990

Starring

Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Monoochehr Ahankhah, Mahrokh Ahankhah, Nayer Mohseni Zonoozi

108 points, 11 lists
47. Pather Panchali

Director

Satyajit Ray, 1955

Starring

Subir Banerjee, Uma Das Gupta, Karuna Banerjee, Kanu Bannerjee

I haven't seen either of today's films nor anything from Satyajit Ray. My only experience with Kiarostami is Ten, which I didn't like at all.

Reply to Topic