2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

I have not found this to be the case, but I'm using the app. I'll check the desktop version from now on. I find the "production" area but clicking it asks me to join a pro account in order to see budget-related info.
For starters I could recommend the film Losing in Love. Not GREAT, but a good fit for the category.

I have not found this to be the case, but I'm using the app. I'll check the desktop version from now on. I find the "production" area but clicking it asks me to join a pro account in order to see budget-related info.
I don't know about the app, but if you're on the IMDb website, even on a mobile, you can scroll down to "Box Office" and find the Budget. Obviously, it depends if the information is available, and many old films or more obscure films don't have budget information available.

You can also look for the film on The-Numbers.com

Obviously, it depends if the information is available, and many old films or more obscure films don't have budget information available.
That's been my problem. I can always google "low budget films" and watch one of them. But when I'm looking up a specific film, that one never seems to have a budget listed.

Just tried IMDB and Kong vs Godzilla's budget is listed, but Synchronic's isn't, for example. So I was right the first time, it's not just the app.

Thanks for all the input, everybody.

It depends on the film
correct.
Funny thing is, I've watched so many wretched B-movies from the 30s that a solid half of the films I've seen this year probably cost less than a Million, I just can't confirm any of them.

(thanks for the list!)

The trick is not minding
Update! 5/9
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Almost done with normal mode.

I was finally able to verify that one of the films I've watched had a budget under a million, so you can all rest easy tonight. Our long national nightmare is over.

Next question: Did we ever agree on a system for this one? I'm now accepting applications.

J. Are we there yet?
[Watch one film for each of the miscellaneous challenges listed below]

6. a film suggested by another participant of this challenge

Also answers to Jabba
J. Are we there yet?
[Watch one film for each of the miscellaneous challenges listed below]

6. a film suggested by another participant of this challenge

What I had in mind for this one was that we each suggest 2-3 films for everyone to choose from, but that went down the tube as soon as everyone started sharing huge lists of recommendations. Which is cool in a way since you have people sharing their love for tons of films.

Personally, I'm afraid I'm in the habit of endlessly suggesting that everyone watches Incendies and Z.

Personally, I'm afraid I'm in the habit of endlessly suggesting that everyone watches Incendies and Z.
I've seen the former and the latter is not available to me.

Since there's no specific system in place, I hereby pledge that I will watch the first suggestion I get, provided that A/ I haven't seen it before and B/ I can watch it for free.

Anything goes, so if the first suggestion I get is a 4-hour snuff film of puppies being murdered, I'm watchin' it. Bring it.

I've seen the former and the latter is not available to me.

Since there's no specific system in place, I hereby pledge that I will watch the first suggestion I get, provided that A/ I haven't seen it before and B/ I can watch it for free.

Anything goes, so if the first suggestion I get is a 4-hour snuff film of puppies being murdered, I'm watchin' it. Bring it.
Well, you already watched Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker, so that's me out of ideas!!

But seriously, have you seen Lake Mungo?

EDIT
Many people put up some suggestions starting around page 4 of this thread. Here is what I posted:

Netflix
Klaus
Hunt for the Wilder People
About Time
Prospect
Good Time
Cloud Atlas

Hulu
Hunt for the Wilder People
Peanut Butter Falcon
Tangerine
Black Dynamite
Mud

Amazon Prime
Short Term 12
Lake Mungo
The 39 Steps
Orlando
Frailty

Criterion Channel
Watership Down
Phoenix
Kuroneko
The 39 Steps
Shock Corridor

Other
Predestination (Roku Channel)
Blood Simple (HBO)
Brain Damage (Shudder)
Shock Corridor (HBO, IndieFlix)

Thanks pal, I was afraid I was opening myself up for a Salo viewing.

Amazon Prime
Short Term 12
Lots of good ideas, but I think I'll go with this one since you've been incessantly pushing (I mean strongly recommending) it forever.

The trick is not minding
I’d like to recommend Witchhammer, a Czechoslovakian film about the with trials that was infamously held in their past.
Based on actual events, and the actual participants portrayed, it is taken from actual court documents.
It’s available to stream on Amazon.
Highly recommend

Thanks pal, I was afraid I was opening myself up for a Salo viewing.

Lots of good ideas, but I think I'll go with this one since you've been incessantly pushing (I mean strongly recommending) it forever.
I will unabashedly evangelize for that film til the cows come home. And I'm not even saying it's a 10/10 film, but rather one that I think a lot of people should see.

I will unabashedly evangelize for that film til the cows come home. And I'm not even saying it's a 10/10 film, but rather one that I think a lot of people should see.

It recently returned to my radar when I learned the director is in charge of an upcoming Marvel film. I wonder if Brie had a hand in his hiring?

I’d like to recommend Witchhammer, a Czechoslovakian film about the witch trials that was infamously held in their past.
Now THIS guy knows how to get my attention!
Just watch-listed the hell out of that one.

The trick is not minding
Now THIS guy knows how to get my attention!
Just watch-listed the hell out of that one.
I just watched it recently myself, so I’m trying to bring its attention to everyone I can.
Hope you enjoy it. Just a heads up, there’s a lot of female nudity.

I just watched it recently myself, so I’m trying to bring its attention to everyone I can.
Hope you enjoy it. Just a heads up, there’s a lot of female nudity.
*mental note: don't watch Witchhammer with mom

The trick is not minding
*mental note: don't watch Witchhammer with mom
It’s mostly at the beginning, where there’s a narrator commenting on the sin caused by women as they are taking baths. Persecution of women being accused of witchcraft is a big theme.
It’s definitely got a spot on my upcoming ballot.

The trick is not minding
Quick question. Profile is finally being released this week at a local (ish) movie theatre. However, it was first presented back in 2018 at the Berlin Film Festival. It’s just now making its way to the states.
My question is, would it count toward 2021 films? I’m leaning towards no but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, it’s directed by Timur Bekmambetov (of Nightwatch and it’s sequel, Daywatch fame). It’s about a journalist who creates a fake on line profile to investigate a terrorist recruiter and finds herself questioning her beliefs.

Also answers to Jabba
Quick question. Profile is finally being released this week at a local (ish) movie theatre. However, it was first presented back in 2018 at the Berlin Film Festival. It’s just now making its way to the states.
My question is, would it count toward 2021 films? I’m leaning towards no but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

For those who aren’t familiar with it, it’s directed by Timur Bekmambetov (of Nightwatch and it’s sequel, Daywatch fame). It’s about a journalist who creates a fake on line profile to investigate a terrorist recruiter and finds herself questioning her beliefs.

As usual, the answer is of the 'up to you' variety. I was in a similar situation in 2019 with 'The Upside' (the terrible American remake of Intouchables), which had a wide release that year, but was privately screened in the Toronto Film Festival in 2017. At first I included it in my list, but it didn't sit right so I eventually replaced it with another film.