Internet Connection Help

Tools    

The King of Movies
Hi...

Would any of you know how to solve my computer problem.

For some reason between the 10th and the 26th of each month my internet all of a sudden goes slow.

I have unlimited downloading, i have changed my laptop and i have bought a new modem but for some reason between those dates my internet goes slow.

I have even called my service provider and they couldn't work out my problem.

It is realy weird because as soon as the 10th comes along my internet goes slow and then as soon as it becomes the 26th my internet goes back to regular speed.

Is there a reason?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Was your speed slowing down before you bought the new laptop and modem or after?

There are some traffic shaping programs out there which allow you to limit your bandwidth at certain times - You don't have anything like that installed?

Best thing to do is make sure you've got the most recent ethernet (or wireless) drivers installed and maybe reset your modem to factory settings (the little button on the back which you need to press with a pen). Just make sure you know your ISP settings to get back online again.

It might also be your phoneline - are they the same as your ISP or a different company?

The King of Movies
Was your speed slowing down before you bought the new laptop and modem or after?

There are some traffic shaping programs out there which allow you to limit your bandwidth at certain times - You don't have anything like that installed?

Best thing to do is make sure you've got the most recent ethernet (or wireless) drivers installed and maybe reset your modem to factory settings (the little button on the back which you need to press with a pen). Just make sure you know your ISP settings to get back online again.

It might also be your phoneline - are they the same as your ISP or a different company?
My speed was slowing down before i changed laptops. I changed laptops for the said reason.

What are traffic shaping programs?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Some ISPs use traffic shaping at certain times of the day - They'll cut everyone's speed during peak time hours during the day and early evening to ease the load. Not heard of them doing it for a fortnight at a time (unless you're downloading huge amounts, but they would have told you about that and it happening every month is strange).

You can install programs like cFosSpeed which, while it's supposed to optimise your bandwidth, I'm pretty sure has settings where you can vary your internet speeds on different days. Bittorrent programs like uTorrent have a bandwidth limiting setting too - If you use it, then make sure it's not turned on.

To be honest, it sounds like an ISP or phone line problem (presuming your internet is carried by your phone line). Maybe get your ISP to do a line test on the days when your speed is slow?