MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2023 - Signups

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm good with auction if it's Sunday. Saturday will be a little more difficult. I don't know if we decided yet on which day works better anyways, I may have missed that.

Good question.

I'm fine with moving it to the 5th and I've seen no objections. But let's tack that on to the auction thing, since I just pinged everyone anyway: if you can't make the 5th, let me know. I think basically everyone has already signaled both work though, so I'll move it to the 5th if nobody objects today.

I am a yes vote for the auction, provided that most people (~8 or more of us of the 12) are able to draft. I do have two comments for people to consider:
(1) Auction format is a bigger time commitment. My other league drafts for 204 spots (12 teams, 23 roster spots, but 72 keepers are already removed (6 per team)) and the auction takes ~4 hrs.
(2) In my other league, we have always managed to get all managers present for the full auction draft. I do not know how the yahoo computer will do in assembling a team for an auto-drafter, but my feeling is the error bars for what kind of team an auto-drafter will get will be much wider.

I am a yes vote for the auction, provided that most people (~8 or more of us of the 12) are able to draft. I do have two comments for people to consider:
(1) Auction format is a bigger time commitment. My other league drafts for 204 spots (12 teams, 23 roster spots, but 72 keepers are already removed (6 per team)) and the auction takes ~4 hrs.
(2) In my other league, we have always managed to get all managers present for the full auction draft. I do not know how the yahoo computer will do in assembling a team for an auto-drafter, but my feeling is the error bars for what kind of team an auto-drafter will get will be much wider.
But, on the other hand, I think the auction is extremely fun and engaging. It's arguably more fair since every manager has access to every player. And the advantage for good draft prep is much higher.

I was looking at the Yahoo app and there are no bench players. Dont know if thats normal?

Also is there an adjustment on the $260 if our league allows more players per team?

I was looking at the Yahoo app and there are no bench players. Dont know if thats normal?
I'd need more specifics about exactly what you're looking at.

Also is there an adjustment on the $260 if our league allows more players per team?
We can pick our budget, yeah.

I'd need more specifics about exactly what you're looking at.

Actually having done some mocks Ive noticed theres a total of 5 bench spots for every team, 21 slots total. I think we played with alot more than that, but am agreeable to a change if necessary.

Another thing everyone must consider if we dont have a Large Majority of owners willing to sit thru a 4 hour draft then Yahoo is automatically going to bid what it values that player at....this will make it impossible to get some bargains in the early rounds, and even mid rounds.

This could make things very unbalanced. Yeah I cant believe Im the one saying this too lol

To make a long story short, unless the owners present for the draft purposefully nominate mid tier players to begin with, all the first round picks will probably go to absent owners.

Actually having done some mocks Ive noticed theres a total of 5 bench spots for every team, 21 slots total. I think we played with alot more than that, but am agreeable to a change if necessary.
Mocks have their own settings/roster spots/whatever. They can't bring your league settings into it and have them apply to everyone else mocking.

Another thing everyone must consider if we dont have a Large Majority of owners willing to sit thru a 4 hour draft then Yahoo is automatically going to bid what it values that player at....this will make it impossible to get some bargains in the early rounds, and even mid rounds.
Perhaps, but I'm not really sure how that AI works. It might be a bit more sophisticated than that.

That said, I think it makes sense that because auctions involve more decisions, yes, it would be a bigger penalty to miss the draft than it would with a snake draft. That said, I don't think we should consider that much. At this point in the league, for what it is, I don't think people should ever be missing the draft.

Can we get a consensus on what we're doing pretty soon? I'm not sure how to prepare. I'm down to try this new format but I'm not sure if only a few weeks is really enough time to prepare.

I think a snake draft would be better for my blood pressure, but I'm fine either way.

Was just about to post that I could do Saturday or Sunday when I got a text that changed the equation. I could probably still do Saturday, but am now joining Raul in support of Sunday.

Yeah I need to know which day it is soon too cause I already requested the 4th off for this, and now would have to switch it to the 5th. Theres enough notice so it shouldnt be a problem.

And yeah, we'll decide on the draft thing one way or another in the next day or two, for sure. Just need more people to respond to those pings.

Honestly, to no one in particular: once we're getting near baseball season, and definitely once you've signed up, it's pretty important to check the site semi-regularly about this stuff, since things like this come up every year and need prompt attention.

So, I'm counting up the "votes," such as they are, and it's pretty muddled. Several people really want to do an auction, several others are just kind of willing (though at least one would prefer not to), and the others aren't sure.

I think we have a fair amount of buy-in for this, but I'm uncomfortable making such a big change without a really clear result.

I'll give this another couple of days and decide for sure, but right now I'm thinking switching to it next year, but just deciding it now, is maybe a good compromise?

I'll give this another couple of days and decide for sure, but right now I'm thinking switching to it next year, but just deciding it now, is maybe a good compromise?
This feels like the right call. If you just kick it to a vote next year, everyone will just be scrambling to decide again. This way Tongo can do 100 mocks before the draft.

I totally support a change for next season. Then I can spend some time figuring it out and what not. I think it could be pretty fun, it's just a matter of getting used to it. It is a bit different from a regular draft.

This feels like the right call. If you just kick it to a vote next year, everyone will just be scrambling to decide again. This way Tongo can do 100 mocks before the draft.
Yeah. You know me.