Should posts on ignore be completely hidden?

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Unless the moderation is failing and allowing genuinely irritating stuff like obvious spamming or constant PM abuse, I happen to think that is true, yes. This is, however, in my opinion and to my knowledge, not the case on this forum.

I think most (or perhaps all) people who use the 'ignore button' on here, are using it for the wrong reasons. I have many people I like on here that use it, but it's an issue I strongly disagree with them on. I'm sure they can respect that.
I respect your opinion and you made it quite clear although I don't happen to agree with it.

See, some people will resort to ignore other users when they are annoying. But sadly, some users will always try to make a fuss with you for whatever reason [reasons for such vary of course].

In the end, putting them [whoever feels the need to be an idiot with you] on the Ignore list is nothing more than keeping your screen clean of needless noise.

Putting someone on the Ignore list and still being able to see what the person says [and they will always ask their "message" to you to be quoted by their friends so you end up seeing it, even when you have no interest in such - a kind of silly revenge] is just pointless. The person is in Ignore for a reason [whether he/she likes it or not, it's not your concern either]

In the end, saying "ok we have an Ignore feature.... but you shouldn't use it because it's not cool/is being cowardly" makes not much sense. It would be analogous to offer someone a bowl of soup but not the spoon to eat it with.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The question is: "what do people want to ignore?"

Do they want to ignore genuine continuing abuse, irritating spam or disturbing content? Well, then I'm all for that! None of those things are allowed on this forum, however, so it isn't used for that.

Do people want to ignore everyone who disagrees with them or who they somehow can't stand for their style or way of thinking?
Well, then I think you're showing a lack of courage. You should be able to deal with that kind of stuff on your own, without all of those people being artificially removed from your perception of reality.
Coping with other people that you don't intuitively get along with is an important part of growing as a person. I truly believe it makes you a better person to be confronted with them and to learn how to handle them yourselves.
I use it for spammers (which is not necessary here) and to stop myself from blowing a brain cell with offensive twits. I dont like reporting people because I think administators have enough to deal with, so I'll use ignore. I dont use it for people who simply have different PoVs. I dont know anyone who does that. If you LOVE a movie that I dont like I'm not going to ignore you. I want to engage you to see if I can get a new set of eyes for a rewatch, but I dont have to tolerate shtty bitchy comments, threats or otherwise. I dont put up with it in real life so why should I put up with it on the net. If you think that's cowardly, help yourself.

The question is: "what do people want to ignore?"

Do they want to ignore genuine continuing abuse, irritating spam or disturbing content? Well, then I'm all for that! None of those things are allowed on this forum, however, so it isn't used for that.

Do people want to ignore everyone who disagrees with them or who they somehow can't stand for their style or way of thinking?
Well, then I think you're showing a lack of courage. You should be able to deal with that kind of stuff on your own, without all of those people being artificially removed from your perception of reality.
Coping with other people that you don't intuitively get along with is an important part of growing as a person. I truly believe it makes you a better person if you allow yourself to be confronted with them and learn how to handle them yourself.
I already had to put one for passive-aggressiveness. I don't care to be bothered by people who feel the need to attack others while pretending they are not. Neither should I have to keep reading their whining.

I don't think people are here to be bothered by those kind of individuals, they are here to have healthy civilized discussions [in principle].

I respect your opinion and you made it quite clear although I don't happen to agree with it.
The respect is mutual.

See, some people will resort to ignore other users when they are annoying. But sadly, some users will always try to make a fuss with you for whatever reason [reasons for such vary of course].

In the end, putting them [whoever feels the need to be an idiot with you] on the Ignore list is nothing more than keeping your screen clean of needless noise.
Don't you think it's much better for the development of your persona to allow an annoying person inside of your reality once in a while, though? It'll force yourself to learn how to cope with annoying people in the manner that suits you best. When you simply make them vanish artificially, you don't allow yourself to learn those skills.

I, for instance, became a much more grounded person because I've let myself be confronted by many "annoying" people. After I've had fights with them, I always analyzed how I behaved myself during these confrontations and during those evaluations I came up with better ways to act during future disputes. I even came up with ways to make my adversary become more sympathetic towards me. I would've never learned those things if I had ignored them artificially.

Putting someone on the Ignore list and still being able to see what the person says [and they will always ask their "message" to you to be quoted by their friends so you end up seeing it, even when you have no interest in such - a kind of silly revenge] is just pointless. The person is in Ignore for a reason [whether he/she likes it or not, it's not your concern either]

In the end, saying "ok we have an Ignore feature.... but you shouldn't use it because it's not cool/is being cowardly" makes not much sense. It would be analogous to offer someone a bowl of soup but not the spoon to eat it with.
I think a semi-ignore button (as we had here in the past) is much healthier. The person who uses it still holds the responsibility himself to not take a peek at what the member he wants to ignore posted. It makes sure that "ignoring" remains a humane and natural art and it still makes everyone aware that there's another world outside of the one he/she wants to perceive.

Further to Dev's comments, if forum owners, and in this case Yoda, put so much effort into setting up a streamlined ignore function, dont you think it's going to save him from pulling his hair out if people use it as a time out when someone is grinding their gears rather than ply a match of tennis to see who gets the biggest lob in, and then go running to him as soon as the crying starts?

The respect is mutual.
Thank you kindly.
Don't you think it's much better for the development of your persona to allow an annoying person inside of your reality once in a while, though? It'll force yourself to learn how to cope with annoying people in the manner that suits you best. When you simply make them vanish artificially, you don't allow yourself to learn those skills.
You pose an interesting question. My answer is: We already have annoying people in our lives that we have to deal with and we can't do anything about it [either in our work place, in our daily routines, etc]. If we can be in a place where we actually have a degree of control over annoyances, it also means we already know what makes ourselves tick and can act accordingly, besides already having that experience in the real world.
I can see your "personal growth" point of view, however. But given the choice of where to be annoyed, I [personally] prefer to have control over the ones I can mitigate.
I, for instance, became a much more grounded person because I've let myself be confronted by many "annoying" people. After I've had fights with them, I always analyzed how I behaved myself during these confrontations and during those evaluations I came up with better ways to act during future disputes. I even came up with ways to make my adversary become more sympathetic towards me. I would've never learned those things if I had ignored them artificially.
All valid, of course.

I think a semi-ignore button (as we had here in the past) is much healthier. The person who uses it still holds the responsibility himself to not take a peek at what the member he wants to ignore posted. It makes sure that "ignoring" remains a humane and natural art and it still makes everyone aware that there's another world outside of the one he/she wants to perceive.
I don't know which system was applied here before, so I can not comment.

You pose an interesting question. My answer is: We already have annoying people in our lives that we have to deal with and we can't do anything about it [either in our work place, in our daily routines, etc]. If we can be in a place where we actually have a degree of control over annoyances, it also means we already know what makes ourselves tick and can act accordingly, besides already having that experience in the real world.
I can see your "personal growth" point of view, however. But given the choice of where to be annoyed, I [personally] prefer to have control over the ones I can mitigate.
Fair point. I think my biggest problem with the whole thing is the fact that with this online mindset of artificially making every annoyance simply vanish, people start losing their touch with reality. Everyone starts creating their own bubbles. I don't like the principle of it.

I don't know which system was applied here before, so I can not comment.
Well, formerly, people could still see that the person they ignore had posted something, but they had to click on "view post" if they wanted to read what that person said. There's an image of it somewhere in this thread.
I think that system is much healthier. It helps you to ignore people a little easier, while still letting you know they exist and occasionally post things. You still need a certain degree of self-control to ignore someone. The system doesn't make the person you want to ignore completely vanish from reality. It still leaves some of the responsibility of ignoring that person up to you (you have to control yourself in order to not click on "view post").
I'm a proponent of making the social brain still work a little bit in these instances.

Appreciate you guys talking about this so respectfully. Just wanted to address this:

Further to Dev's comments, if forum owners, and in this case Yoda, put so much effort into setting up a streamlined ignore function, dont you think it's going to save him from pulling his hair out if people use it as a time out when someone is grinding their gears rather than ply a match of tennis to see who gets the biggest lob in, and then go running to him as soon as the crying starts?
It came with the forum software. I have put some time into tweaking it and modifying it to work with some other custom features, though that's just been a response to more people using it.

Carry on!

Fair point. I think my biggest problem with the whole thing is the fact that with this online mindset of artificially making every annoyance simply vanish, people start losing their touch with reality. Everyone starts creating their own bubbles. I don't like the principle of it.
I totally understand that and can go as far as say I'm a subscriber to the notion that the Internet creates a faux perception of reality [as does any other kind of media, specially cinema]. But we must also be aware that Forums are used for various reasons, one of which is as a form of escape from the daily routine that doesn't allow much space of maneuver to the individual. The question is how people should - in principle - behave towards others in such Forums. Unfortunatly we know that not all individuals have peaceful interaction in mind.

You gave the example of the people who would put others in ignore because those were of different opinion or would be talking about things that would be upsetting [to some readers].

I often wonder about the weight of personal experience and culture as the backbone of the online persona. So the question - in this particular case - would be: what kind of individuals are they in their real life? Are they people with poor social aptitudes? Were they raised in a morally strict family/society? What is their own perception of how they behave towards others [even if they actually think about it]?

Maybe those who can't accept a difference of opinion [for whatever personal reason] are ill equipped to deal with a place such as an Online Forum, where different ideas on subject matters are present and are the general motif of such a place.

Those individuals would surely benefit from personal growth [if correctly guided].

Well, formerly, people could still see that the person they ignore had posted something, but they had to click on "view post" if they wanted to read what that person said. There's an image of it somewhere in this thread.
I think that system is much healthier. It helps you to ignore people a little easier, while still letting you know they exist and occasionally post things. You still need a certain degree of self-control to ignore someone. The system doesn't make the person you want to ignore completely vanish from reality. It still leaves some of the responsibility of ignoring that person up to you (you have to control yourself in order to not click on "view post").
I'm a proponent of making the social brain still work a little bit in these instances
I see. I had no experience former to this Ignore List system, but I get the gist of it and your personal view on it.

I don't know if you have anyone in Ignore, but the people are listed in your personal page. Whenever you want you can take them out of that List and you become able to see and talk to them again.

You don't forget they are there, though.

Appreciate you guys talking about this so respectfully. Just wanted to address this:

It came with the forum software. I have put some time into tweaking it and modifying it to work with some other custom features, though that's just been a response to more people using it.

Carry on!
There's no reason no to be respectful. Specially when it's mutual.

Can the Ignore button have a filter?
Such as: ignore by race, by gender, by skin tone, by political party, sexual orientation, age, religion, PC / Non-PC, liberal, conservative, east coast / west coast, eastern / western hemisphere, etc.?

This question is a deeply couched satire that tries to point out how an ignore feature is an antithetical feature to an open discussion board.
If someone needs an ignore button, then maybe they should not be on open discussion boards - maybe they need to find a closed discussion board that limits thought and expression to their chosen pigeon hole or safe space that they wish to stay secluded and protected within.

Just my opinion motivated by my beliefs about free speech.

Can the Ignore button have a filter?
Such as: ignore by race, by gender, by skin tone, by political party, sexual orientation, age, religion, PC / Non-PC, liberal, conservative, east coast / west coast, eastern / western hemisphere, etc.?

This question is a deeply couched satire that tries to point out how an ignore feature is an antithetical feature to an open discussion board.
If someone needs an ignore button, then maybe they should not be on open discussion boards - maybe they need to find a closed discussion board that limits thought and expression to their chosen pigeon hole or safe space that they wish to stay secluded and protected within.

Just my opinion motivated by my beliefs about free speech.
For some odd reason I can actually envision some forums happily using such features as you described.

Welcome to the human race...
I already had to put one for passive-aggressiveness. I don't care to be bothered by people who feel the need to attack others while pretending they are not. Neither should I have to keep reading their whining.

I don't think people are here to be bothered by those kind of individuals, they are here to have healthy civilized discussions [in principle].
Yeah, well, I don't care for actually being attacked and put on ignore by someone who thinks that the proper response to a discussion that they started is to jump ship halfway through with an over-dramatic tell-off, nor should I have to keep reading their whining in thread after thread after thread about how I'm the one who was being a passive-aggressive hypocrite.

I mean, did you ever stop to think why everyone else but you is either a) not bothered by me or b) bothered by me but not enough to put me on ignore?

I'm a proponent of making the social brain still work a little bit in these instances.

OK I have an example for you, Cob. Came up in convo this morning. My husband blocked someone on his phone some time ago because he was prone to making midnight phone calls or coming to the house to intimidate so for the first time in our lives we have CCTV on the house. Would talking to him make us better people? No. Same with the ignore function on social media. Some times it's just better to use the ignore function in life.

Also, having someone on ignore in the latest tweaked version on this forum does not make them disappear from the ignorer's vision. You can still see that they have posted and then it's up to the user whether they take a peak or ignore completely.

I hope that clarifies things better.

OK I have an example for you, Cob. Came up in convo this morning. My husband blocked someone on his phone some time ago because he was prone to making midnight phone calls or coming to the house to intimidate so for the first time in our lives we have CCTV on the house. Would talking to him make us better people? No. Same with the ignore function on social media. Some times it's just better to use the ignore function in life.

Also, having someone on ignore in the latest tweaked version on this forum does not make them disappear from the ignorer's vision. You can still see that they have posted and then it's up to the user whether they take a peak or ignore completely.

I don't believe your story. It's too convenient for the sake of this discussion. As a matter of fact every time you wish to make a point, you have some first hand experience that somehow proves your right. I learned that by reading your post on the Terrorist thread. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

No, no you don't see that they've posted. That was the old version of the ignore function. With the new version you see nothing unless someone else quotes the ignored user.

Can't people just ignore others manually?

Example: (I open a thread and then...) "Oh, another post by Citizen Rules - l know it's him again, not by just his I.D., but by his Orson Welles avatar - man am I tired of his posts - I'll just skip that one."

Wow! WOW! Could it be any easier than that?
I mean is it really so hard that people need a computerized function that automatically ignores other people on a DISCUSSION BOARD for them? (Say it with me... "DIS-CUSH-SHION" ...it means intercommunicating with others.)

It's as if people's brains are too incapable of doing it themselves or that going to another post is too much work - "Oh it's just so exhausting having to skip a post - it would be like having to actually shift in my chair or something - someone hook an I.V. up to me and convert my chair into a toilet so I'll never have to make any effort again!"

You people disgust me!

I have no reason to doubt that it's true but I think it's a horrible analogy.
Are you talking to me? If so I have no idea what you're talking about. My reply was to Cob who said people shouldnt ignore in the real world. Yes they do, and they should.