In which Nightmare on Elm Street film was Freddy Krueger the darkest?

Tools    

Not a great film, but I'd also say the remake. Jackie Earle Haley played that role with pitch black darkness. "Why are you screaming? I haven't even cut you yet." Still a ****** remake, and it's weird seeing Rooney Mara in that considering how far she has come now.

I have to return some videotapes...
The original because in all the others he is a cartoon, in the first he haunts peoples dreams and takes enjoyment in living out their worst nightmares with them. Terrific film.

Either the original or the remake. The rest, like Cole said, are just live action cartoons.

The remake is awful though, but Jackie Earle Haley plays it well.

Either the original or the remake. The rest, like Cole said, are just live action cartoons.

The remake is awful though, but Jackie Earle Haley plays it well.
What about the sequel, Freddy's Revenge. Man he was dark, if not darker. Hayley was the only thing good about the remake. Everybody else in that film was pretty crappy.

It's been years since I watched the other movies, but I just remember them being comedies rather than the dark humour of the original.

No, I don't call the sequels "cartoony" to be like everyone else.

I call them cartoony, and I call them comedies... because they are.
They're a victim of the trend of the time (80s and 90s).

A handful of examples are Critters2-4, Gremlins 2, Elm Street 2+, Tremors 2-5, Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 3-5... they became kid friendly, live-action cartoons, to pander to the audience.

Police Academy is another example. The first was an adult comedy, the comedy was subtle, and also not-so-subtle, and also had serious tones from time to time mixed with a stereotypical character selection, some occasional slapstick, and was filled with sex jokes and racist language.

The sequels, well, let's just say, they added "boingy" sounds effects to the slapstick. Slapstick being the only comedy that was in them.

Nobody would even care much about the first Nightmare on Elm Street movie if it didn't have the sequels. Freddy would have NEVER been a big thing without them.
That's not true, SC. Freddy was the anti-hero of the first one and that's why he was popular. Apart from the horror, the word of mouth about that film after release was that Freddy was out there killing middle class, suburban America. That was what appealed to many of its/his fans. Freddy became the merchandise machine he became because of how the fans reacted to him. That word of mouth was the advertising campaign that New Line simply didn't have the money to buy.

As for the darkest? It's the first or second. The second is my instant reaction.

Fred looked the best in Freddy's Revenge, they did well keeping him in the shadows.

The sequels have issues, but they're still inventive and fun. Not crazy about the 'dream house' idea that Nancy's old house is like his home-base. I don't think he really needed that. Course, the only ones Wes Craven was involved in were the first and New Nightmare. Those two are dark Freddy. And they're the more cerebral ones, bc that's how Wes Craven is. But the other sequels like Freddy's Revenge, Dream Warriors, and Dream Master, they showed the star power of Freddy. All of those sequels were very successful box office films and did what they needed to do. People try to hold these to a different standard, it seems like. I think they're better than the Friday the 13th films and the Halloween sequels, i do like Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers though. Anyways, obviously I could say a lot more but I don't like trying on MoFo anymore

I think they're better than the Friday the 13th films and the Halloween sequels,
They are. I like the original Halloween better than A Nightmare On Elm Street, but the Freddy films are easily the better series. Haven't seen all of the Jason films only seen 1, 2 and Takes Manhattan which is one of my least favourite films ever. Sorry SC.

i do like Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Same that is the only Michael Myers sequel i like, i like Haloween III too but that obviously isn't a sequel to Michael. I'm most baffled by the positive reception for H20, i hate that film and can't begin to understand why some think it is a good slasher other than Jamie Lee Curtis returning.

I'm just saying people love to talk sh*t about the Freddy sequels so much -- "Oh, they were BAD. They turned Freddy into a cartoon." The "Freddy Merchandise Machine" would not have happened without those sequels. If they hadn't made them. Much of the Freddy merchandise was largely based on Freddy's look in the sequels, not in the first movie. I just hate people always talking down about Freddy in the sequels. If there were no sequels, sure, Nightmare on Elm Street might still be some beloved cult movie... but I don't think Freddy would be like this ICON he is now. I really don't. Now he is as popular as Dracula. And what keeps Dracula popular? Probably the fact that he didn't just remain in one movie, one book. They kept bringing him back for new movies. The sequels -- for Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, etc. -- the sequels made them what they are. Hell, Jason didn't even really appear until Friday the 13th part 2, and the famous mask didn't appear until Friday the 13th part 3.

I'm just saying -- stop putting down the Freddy sequels because Freddy became "a cartoon." Freddy just evolved. The more popular he became, the more outrageous he got. He's like Donald Trump. The more popular he gets, the more he's perceived as ridiculous.
I agree with much of this, but that's the problem. Well, for the people who don't like them, anyway. I loved the Freddy merchandise because I was obsessed with the films. There wasn't much of it here, but I remember buying the first three Nightmare films as a book and loving them. I'm sure I would if I read them now.

I think Freddy is diluted with each film, though. Well, before New Nightmare anyway.

Fred looked the best in Freddy's Revenge, they did well keeping him in the shadows.

The sequels have issues, but they're still inventive and fun. Not crazy about the 'dream house' idea that Nancy's old house is like his home-base. I don't think he really needed that. Course, the only ones Wes Craven was involved in were the first and New Nightmare. Those two are dark Freddy. And they're the more cerebral ones, bc that's how Wes Craven is. But the other sequels like Freddy's Revenge, Dream Warriors, and Dream Master, they showed the star power of Freddy. All of those sequels were very successful box office films and did what they needed to do. People try to hold these to a different standard, it seems like. I think they're better than the Friday the 13th films and the Halloween sequels, i do like Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers though. Anyways, obviously I could say a lot more but I don't like trying on MoFo anymore
And it should be interesting that out of the original series (excluding Freddy vs Jason) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master would make $100 million in the US if it were adjusted to inflation making it the most successful one in the franchise. In 3 and 4 especially Freddy was very much akin to a rock star.