MOVIE OF THE (HALF) MONTH - MAY 2017 - EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)

Tools    

Hello all and welcome to the re-start of the Movie of the Month/Movie Club!

In case you're unfamiliar with how this works, every month a movie gets picked (usually by a member who volunteers) and is put under the MoFo Spotlight. Discussions and reviews for said movie are highly encouraged during the month. Then, when a new month comes around, a new movie gets picked!

---------------------------------

This month's pick is:

A New York City doctor, who is married to an art curator, pushes himself on a harrowing and dangerous night-long odyssey of sexual and moral discovery after his wife admits that she once almost cheated on him.

---------------------------

A podcast featuring Yoda, Slappydavis, and myself discussing this film will be released about a week from now. Until then, happy viewing!

Yeah! I'm glad to see your MotM idea get revitalized.
every month a movie gets picked (usually by a member who volunteers)
I think that's, a darn good idea By volunteering does that mean volunteering to be a guest podcaster?

Yeah! I'm glad to see your MotM idea get revitalized.
I think that's, a darn good idea By volunteering does that mean volunteering to be a guest podcaster?
Thanks Citizen! And yes you can be a guest podcaster as well. That was actually the case last time but I don't think anyone volunteered so it was just the same 3.

I love the idea, but despite of how little it takes from those who partipates, I never really got involved in this last time it was going...
You should give it a shot this time MovieMed, especially with your awesome reviews!

Eyes Wide Shut is one of my favorite movies....

I love the women in that movie.

And especially the music at the masked ball

Agreed on everything Mes, especially the music at the ball; it really captivated me on my first viewing.

You should give it a shot this time MovieMed, especially with your awesome reviews!
I know. And thanks, man!

This is the perfect opportunity too, since Eyes Wide Shut is one of my "big ones" that I still haven't seen.

Didn't catch this thread the first time.

Without "spoiling" the podcast, Eyes Wide Shut was a more enjoyable experience than I would have guessed, both viewing and thinking about it after the fact. I have a few thoughts that have been marinating since FW and Yoda brought up some interesting tidbits; if they form into something I might post here in few days.

Thanks for the selection FW and the appearance on the podcast!

Didn't catch this thread the first time.

Without "spoiling" the podcast, Eyes Wide Shut was a more enjoyable experience than I would have guessed, both viewing and thinking about it after the fact. I have a few thoughts that have been marinating since FW and Yoda brought up some interesting tidbits; if they form into something I might post here in few days.

Thanks for the selection FW and the appearance on the podcast!
Thanks for your participation as well Slappy! If you still have some things you want to discuss about the film I'd be more than happy to continue it here.

Just noticed this thread. I've not watched Eyes Wide Shut in 5 or 6 years, didn't like it at the time but then i barely remember it so that could change now. Going to try and find the time to see it again before listening to this when it's released.

Okay, we're getting there. Maybe tomorrow, but Monday at the latest.

We really talked for a long time.
Yeah we did. I remember the entire session clocking in at like 2 hours 10 minutes. Will this be the longest podcast you ever had?

Not if you count the Oscar podcasts. Excluding those, we'll see, depending on how much of the rest of the second half gets excised. Definitely has a shot, though, out of the Movie of the Month/Movie Club ones.

Finally! Here's the podcast. This one was a bit more spread out, so if I missed anything obvious editing-wise, or left in any rough seams, let me know ASAP.

Big thanks to @Slappydavis per usual, and a special thanks to @False Writer both for being so helpful and involved with MoTM, and for doing such a fine job, particularly considering it was his first ever podcast. Give it up.

The best way to get it is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Well done, Team! Will mke a pot of tea. How long is it, Yods?

Little over an hour.
Diving in shortly. Just waiting for my brew.

Awesome, will give it a listen later tonight! I'm rather curious to hear what was left in and what got edited out.

I definitely had to cut a larger percentage than usual. I think I kept most of the best stuff. Only borderline thing with you I can recall is a nice summary you had at the end. I wanted to leave that in, but it didn't incorporate well into anything earlier and I was really desperate to keep it near an hour.

I've got the full, unedited version saved, though, just in case, so none of it's lost.

LOL at Slappy watching Black Swan on a plane next to an older couple.